Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I rarely play River now, but still no time to get into T&B.

2. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    By the way, the full address is @gmail.com

Hardly got any friends on this game to play with. Please add.

3. MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue Member

May 11, 2012
    I'm always up for some carcassonne, if anyone wants an opponent in any of the addons add ollonmcgee

Finally a new expansion btw. :)

4. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    i'm looking for people for asynchronous play - add blutrane

thanks!

5. darthpotato

darthpotato Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Looking for players too! Please add me at darthpotato! Thanks!

6. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    board games are great as punishment for bad children

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Hi folks, not so much fashionably late, but turning up when the music's stopped, the alcohol has ended, and I'm stepping over slumped bodies.

GC is: [riotgirl] for async multiplayer for the base game (need to get a feel for the game before I purchase the expansions).

8. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Played 14 games with the AI (Hans, Maid, Servant and Fortune Teller) and my ELO score is 1076. I've improved in my last few games (tile luck more than anything), and I'm slowly starting to see the strategy. My newbie mistakes:
    1. Farmers too early
    2. Cities not compact enough
    3. Fail to piggy-back on the work of others
    4. Need to memorise tiles

I've played my first quick game, which I lost 130-70 (thank you to Stephen Morley).

I can confirm the sheer amount of polish that Coding Monkeys have put into this App. The UI is a joy to use. The bucolic music is perfect for the game. Throw in a multitude of different playing options from solitaire, single player against multiple AIs (all with different personalities), pass and play with a friend, quick play (real-time against a random opponent), and last but not least async multiplayer with GC buddies.

If I am honest, I prefer Tigris & Euphrates (which I equally suck). As an overall product, the iOS implementation of Carcassonne is the definitive board-game port against which all other ports will be judged.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No need to memorize tiles. Tap the bottom right icon that looks like a stack of tiles to see all the game tiles and home many are left in the bag!

Farmers are more about opportunity than timing. If you can place one to score on multiple cities, do it. Your opponent will be forced to focus on taking that farm away from you. Just remember that you can't get farmers back so every time you place one you need to be scoring. If that happens early on, so be it, but it does mean your opponent(s) have more chances at tiles to block you. When I first started I attempted to grab huge farms but they rarely ended up giving me points worth the trouble.

10. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #910 Riotgirl, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    I plan to memorise tiles because the ability to see remaining tiles is an option that can be switched off (not present when playing face to face). Also, helps stronger play -in card games, mahjong, etc - through thinking moves ahead.

Slowly getting better and have switched AI opponents playing Prince and Pauper (Count, Countess, Maid and Servant). ELO score is now 1131 after 27 games with the AI. Emphasis on slowly.

I've started to focus on piggy-backing off the work of others (mindful if they have an opportunity to place an extra worker to screw you over) and be much more calculating when placing farms.

Not keen on cloisters in base game. Unless a player receives a cloister towards end of the game, you're pretty much guaranteed a fairly decent score from them. Obviously, cities and farms can provide opportunities to rack in the score, but cloisters are a no-brainer.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the game. Really keen on a big multiplayer async game with a few TA people, if people are still playing.

Update: just finished a multiplayer async game with bluewomble and veganTNT that we played in real-time. My admiration of both the game and Coding Monkey's port has increased a thousandfold. From the beautiful and effortless invitation system (invitation sent with a wax seal, with inbuilt messaging system) to the seemingly simple, elegant game design that really comes alive with human opponents.

This one game alone provided me with an insight into some of the deeper play, strategy, and ways to screw over your fellow players :p. Bluewomble provided a masterclass of opportunism in securing fields to win the game. A tense, keenly competitive and highly enjoyable game. We've set-up another invitation - this time for an async game.

11. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #911 Riotgirl, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Solved: surprisingly unintuitive. Click on gear icon, then click 'Pause Game', then click 'Back'.

I have an issue: every time I open the app, the game immediately reverts me to my multiplayer async game. Call me Mr Magoo, but I cannot see a way to go back to the title page to allow me to play another game concurrently.

Is this a bug? Or am I Mr Magoo?

12. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Ugh... I'm reminded about RTtA again :(... I'm sad b/c they said they were gonna update the game with AI players, but never got around to that.

Carc. was a great deal though... I got it at its introductory $5 price. At $10, I would've only gotten once at least one of the expansions came out (which they did... in fact, they now have River II, Inns & Cathedrals, and Traders & Builders, with Princess & Dragon as the next one up! :cool: )

Unlike board games like Ticket To Ride and Settlers Of Catan, the fact that this game has no hidden info makes it perfect for pass and play.

13. 2wo

2wo New Member

May 11, 2012
    Anyone needs a player for online Asynchronous mode? Pls add me.
    Game Center is M2wo

I am ok with the game and have all expansion packs. ELO rating 1207.

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Carcassonne has just received an update which adds iOS 7 compatibility and reduces the installed app size from 459MB to 208MB.

15. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    What is this game about? How is the gameplay? Is it worth the $10?

16. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Easier to check out a couple of video reviews for gameplay. Definitely worth the $10 in my opinion. it's one of the most polished board games in the AppStore of the App Store.

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Click here to check out its entry over on BGG for all the information you could possibly want and more.

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    The new expansion pack Dragon & Princess (or was it Princess & Dragon?) is out! For only US$1.99 you get another level of fun (did I mention it worth it all?)

19. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    This game and its expansions are worth every single penny. This game is polished to death and is the absolute perfect asynchronous or synchronous online multiplayer board game on the app store in my opinion.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    ...and nobody here gives a cheer... :rolleyes: