Speedball 2 Evolution: how to boost popularity?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jon Hare, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Jon Hare

Jon Hare New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Game Designer, Director, Publisher
    UK
    Recently we have reduced the price of our unified build game Speedball 2 Evolution down to $1 (which is an amazing bargain given the game's quality and production levels) to try and get some penetration into the US market.
    Speedball is a strange game, it has been out before on other formats and is currently massively popular all over Europe and in the top 10 of the iPhone and iPad charts in over 15 countries including 7 number 1 positions. The question for us is how can we boost the popularity of this brutal hockey meets football in the future sport in the US.... any ideas guys?

2. ava0425

ava0425 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Washington, U.S.
    Maybe use American sports in the game, like a football field or a basketball court as the arena? Just an idea ;)

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    was actually right on the edge of buying this. cant make up my mind

4. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Not too helpful for Speedball, but maybe worth bearing in mind for future releases: go back in time and launch at the lower price. You got a ton of positive coverage for Speedball's release, but I suspect a lot of people were put off by the (relatively) high price at that point (especially as there were also IAPs which weren't explained very well - what does "unlock full content" actually mean?), and you missed your chance to sell to them because they probably don't watch the price-drop sites and didn't see it coming down to something more impulse-friendly.

(I also note that in Speedball's home market of the UK, the lower price has seen revenues rocket, from No.84 in the Overall Top-Grossing chart just before the price cut to No.11 now. Seems pretty conclusive evidence that low prices = more money AND more people playing the game, who might look out for your next one.)

5. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    Update the control issues/add more content, I love the game and hope it rises up the charts!

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I don't know how to increase the popularity, but I wish there were stats in the game so I knew how much my players were scoring, how many KOs they had, etc., and how their stats compared to other players in the league.

7. samje

samje Member

Oct 13, 2010
    would agree, Speedball 2 is a great game. i'm guessing a large number of the sales in uk/europe are from people who owned the game on atari st/amiga? many of the user reviews i've seen mention the amiga version. was Speedball 2 popular in the US when it was on amiga/atari st? if so, maybe its just that more people in the US need to hear about it. i'd think you'd be able to get mentioned on many sites. eg, dont think i've seen mention of it on any of the gawker sites and would think they would do a post about it.

on unrelated note, wow, is this jon hare? sensible software games formed a big part of my childhood. thanks for the good times.

8. snoppscar

snoppscar Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I don't know if this will raise the popularity of the game but making it more online friendly will probably help a little. Games over Wifi worldwide with support for any device VS any device. I bought the game when it was 3.99 and I don't regret it, very nice game. I have to say that there is alot to do in future updates, this game has alot of potential. :)

9. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Add an option to enable the original artwork/sound/music. Then I'd buy it. :cool:

10. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    buy it.

11. WaterPocket

WaterPocket Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Buy it, you won't regret it.