Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    #81 JMarceLF, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    So I am loving this games look and solid feel. It's truly nuts how fast our games are getting to true console levels.

I do have a couple gripes though already playing only a little but how come there is no run? I just started and it might not have taught it to me? Also aiming around corners while taking cover is a little awkward. But besides that it's incredible.

Oh yeah some sort of dive or roll would've been nice too:)

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Since this is universal, I'll comment on the iPad 2 experience first even though this is the iPhone thread. I've played the first level and it's simply stunning. Truly. Here's a cliché that's thrown around a lot but is really apt here: console quality. I seriously wouldn't feel cheated paying 30-40 dollars if I got this for my xbox 360. This is certainly better than some xbox downloads I've played. It is at least as visually striking as Infinity Blade, but with much more interactivity. First blush can sometimes lead to hyperbole, but honestly I couldn't be more impressed. Again, I haven't fired this up on my iPhone 4 yet, but on the iPad 2, this is game of the year material so far, hands down.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    With all the praise this game is getting, I have to put in a rational thought:

If you never liked Third-Person Shooters, despise their guts and wouldn't look at one through a sniper scope... You're not going to like this. It's a TPS through-and-through.

Yes, it's a good one even compared by some console standards, but it's fairly typical of the genre.

4. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    There is no need to run faster. You are suppose to be strategic in your movements.

You might be able to run after you cleared an area, but what fun would that be? and running away would be cowardly, so no, no running.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wow, 3 pages in already! So far, love the game. I've come across a few typos, but other than that, friggin perfect. glad madfinger is gonna get $8 a purchase for this, they totally deserve it. I really can not believe this is an iPod game. =oD

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #86 backtothis, Sep 28, 2011
    Real talk. This lives up to ALL of the hype surrounding the game and more. GOTY material for sure. I don't even to get anything tomorrow anymore besides Warm Gun because this game just takes iOS gaming to ten levels beyond.

Edit: Oh shit, this is universal too. I'm going back home to visit this weekend; my brother is going to freaking love this on the family iPad 2. Might have to try it out myself as well. Bet it looks insane.

7. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    #87 caltab, Sep 28, 2011
    The graphics are impressive and controls adequate. But, I am going to go against the grain here and say that the game plays like a very generic 3ps and is not that fun. It reminds me of a gameloft game, it's just missing something for me. I haven't really liked any games that try and mimic a console game, and this one is no different for me.

Edit: after playing a decent amount more, I have to admit it's def better then a gameloft game, but I am still not in love with it. I guess this type of game on iOS just isn't for me.

8. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    #88 Barcâ, Sep 28, 2011
    One thing I'm not a fan of is the way I have to aim. I would like to aim while I am firing, without having to have my finger on the fire button. Much like the way modern combat 1 and 2's aim mechanics work. While you are firing your weapon you can swipe to aim anywhere on the right side of the screen.

Here I can only swipe to aim on the fire button itself.

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Just bought it:D

10. ibebyi

ibebyi Member

Aug 31, 2011
    IT Admin
    Sunny San Diego
    Hey, Gameloft. This is how it's done.

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's not a fps, and it's really nothing like a Gameloft game, except that it's a game.

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    There is no aim button. There is a fire button. You swipe the right side of the screen to look/aim. I'm not sure what game you're playing.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    What are you talking about? You can aim by sliding anywhere on the right hand side of the screen. Once you start firing you can drag the fire button to change your aim.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    For you and anyone having the same issue: Go into the controls and set the control scheme to "Static Move Pad". Problem solved.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Preach.

16. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    This.

Btw, does anyone else think that the text is blurry? That's my only problem and it is a minor problem because I can still read it.

17. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Ya, I edited that already and still think that it's a very generic game. I'd love to here how it is not. It plays like a dumbed down gears to me without the soul.

18. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #98 Pacificsun0481, Sep 28, 2011
    So, I've completed the first level.

The introduction is pretty amazing. The best on iOS yet.

The voice acting is phenomenal. It's really, really good and Slade is voiced perfectly.

Graphically, this the best on iOS. Better than Infinity Blade, considering everything going on. It's a real treat.

Although there are a couple of little things I was hoping to see:

The explosions are a little underwhelming.

The lighting doesn't seem to be dynamic (doesn't change, when under shade for example)

Your character doesn't cast real time shadows, nor leave bullet impressions on the environment. These observations are merely meant as a graphical immersion analysis.

These are small niggles, in an overall stunning game for iOS specifically. Considering the platform, as a whole, really needs more titles like Shadowgun - I am, overall, highly impressed and can recommend the game to any action, shooter or adrenaline enthusiast.

A side note, I was rather surprised to see little hacking puzzles, which remind me of Mass Effect thrown in.

A nice touch, indeed Madfinger :D

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Well then "hear" this, you didn't say generic (I haven't played enough to comment intelligently on that point *hint*), you said like a Gameloft game. It's not. Graphically, it looks nothing like them. There is no guide arrow. I'm interested in how you've determined within an hour of release that it's like a dumbed down Gears.

20. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Actually, his problem is that he doesn't know how to aim since there is no aim button.
    He is just moving his finger on the fire button to aim like a dual stick.
    It doesn't have anything to do with the movement pad.