Game with "Upgrades" or "Unlocks"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linjesender, Nov 19, 2010.

1. linjesender

linjesender New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Hey guys!

I've noticed that most of my favourite games have one thing in common: upgrades. I'm not a big fan of the whole infinite play thing generally, but I don't mind that gameplay if there are milestone goals to work towards. For example, one of my favourite apps right now is Carnivores. I like this game because not only is the gameplay fun, but by having fun and playing the game, you get points, which let you have even more fun by hunting bigger dinosaurs with better armaments. To tell you the truth, if all the weapons were unlocked from the beginning, I probably would not have had half as much fun with this game.

I'm also a bit fan of Jet Car Stunts. I don't think I've had much more satisfaction than getting a gold medal on the harder tracks in the game. I'm not really into high scores... actually, I have no ambition at all to be on any leaderboards or even top my own score. But I love the medal system, which gradiates success. Similarly, I enjoy Cut The Rope. The stars in this game work in virtually the same way.

I also like infinite "arena" type games which reward success with unlockables for future gameplay, such as Tilt to Live. Minigore works similarly, but to a lesser extent, because the pacing of unlocking characters is whack. No way I'll ever play to unlock the million point character: with almost no unlocks inbetween, I'm sure I'll get bored. 100 Rogues touches on this mechanic but falls short, with merely one unlock.

Doodle God is fun because it is basically ENTIRELY about what I'm looking for in a game! I'm having a lot of fun with this one, a great time waster.

But these are all games I have! I REALLY want some advice, so please, if you have any ideas, tell me. :) I'd also like to clarify that I'm not interested in jet car DLC, doodle devil, etc. Basically, any game which surely someone who was interested in the above might get. Doodle God is fun, but its enough for me: I don't have the other for a reason! Thanks.

I'm looking for:

• A game that has enjoyable gameplay.
    • A game that rewards a player in subsequent playthroughs.
    • A game with polish. GFX not necesary: playability and seamlessness is.

I would be especially interested in:

• A roguelike or RPG (sans lengthy narrative, please!) with the above elements.
    • A dual stick shooter with the above elements.
    • Any game with upgradable stats.
    • A game with good value. Price is not so much of an object, but I don't want to be cheated, and would gladly take advantage of a sale :)

2. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Doodle army!

3. Revolt, Modern Combat 2 (multiplayer mode)

4. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    I like Civilizations wars. I like how you can upgrade your stats :)

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Solomons Keep.

6. 1bitpaw

1bitpaw Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    USA
    And Solomon's Boneyard.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    LEGO Harry potter. If you're looking for unlockables, this is really the game for you. It's freaking amazing and only 4.99.

8. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    space miner: space ore bust ---> check this out if you haven't already
    super quick hook ---> this, too
    game dev story
    omg, priates!
    pvz
    either or both solomon games
    mega jump

9. Jetwilson

Jetwilson Well-Known Member

I would be interested in knowing whether gamers prefer unlocks or upgrades in their games. I am the developer of Long Eared Apocalypse, a game that is just beginning its development journey and I would love as much input as possible from gamers to help make it perfect.

leathegame.blogspot.com or thread on toucharcade

10. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    I agree Lego Harry Potter is the way to go

11. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Me personally, I would rather have upgrades... That way I am able to customize to my style of playing, and even though I am not playing an rpg, this adds something rewarding to playing more. Frankly, I really don't care about achievements, as if I finish a game without completing them all, I wont try to get them, but if I finish, and there are more upgrades that are possible to get, I would get them just to try them out

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Revolt all the way. It's an excellent dual-stick shooter and has upgradeable weapons and lotsa replay value. It's ony 2 bucks. Get it now.

13. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    mega jump, stardunk. most of the free with iap games

14. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Quick question, would Space Miner Blast fit this kind of game category?

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yes, definitely.

16. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Sounds like LEGO Harry Potter is THE game to go for this stuff, but that isn't available for 1st/2nd gen users.

For older users, what are some other games than the ones listed before that have upgrades/unlocks? Cause I have the majority of everything that has been said so far :\

17. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    Modern combat 2