iPhone The Elder Scrolls: Legends (By Bethesda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 22, 2017.

1. eufeion

eufeion Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Already downloaded, gonna play it later

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #22 Ayjona, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    I would say Legends is far beyond Hearthstone in everything but card variety (which is mostly proportional to the age of the game and hard for a new CCG to compete with). Depending on your taste in presentation, HS might also be graphically more appealing (a common sentiment, though I don't share it).

But in the somewhat less subjective and *slightly* more quantifiable, such as mechanical variety, flexibility and sophistication*, design space elbow room and scope, developer attention and responsivity, balancing work and a resulting fresh and varied meta (even the top players can't agree if aggro, control, midrange, combo or tempo dominates the ladder at any given moment. It's wonderful), requirements and rewards for skill (the former not always an advantage for some gamers), deck building variety and possibilities, single player and story modes, and f2p viability/card access/more generous rewards, Legends occupies a very different space.

* The lanes and runes alone create an entirely different flow and offer many more tactical priorities than mostly removing big threats and otherwise going face. More than what was first apparent to me, and now I find it hard to play CCGs without them.

(This is not really that surprising or hard to believe, all the design chops and money behind Hearthstone notwithstanding. Hearthstone is explicitly not balanced for competitive play - thus Blizzard's adherence to RNG - and aimed at the largest possible segment of users.

Legends is still broad in appeal - I would have liked even less RNG and even more byzantine mechanics - but targeted specifically at the more dedicated end of the casual CCG spectrum as well as the entirety of the hardcore base, competitive players, and those who seek refuge from HS' RNG. And my own sad band of misfits - artifacts of the golden age of nedlessly complex TCG design, who want some Magic/Netrunner/L5R/etc in our digital card games to convince ourselves it was not all in vain, but who enjoy short matches and easily accessible gameplay more than we could ever admit in the face of the digital rebirth of our lost hobby.)

Even the aestethics consciously reflex this, in their more "mature" character.)

No, that post only says it WILL be available for phones :) Which it will be, early summer.

Funny thing, my Legends-inspired renewed interest in TES lore and reports of improvements from ESO Unlimited and One Tamriel just convinced me to create my first ESO character since beta...

3. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Oh my. This is the best logic I've ever seen on this forum.

Bleh for you Bleh

4. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Not usually a fan of games like this. But this one has really drawn me in. Absolutely loving it at the moment.

5. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Do you buy card packs with in-game currency or real money and pray to RNGesus?...or can you buy the entire set and subsequent expansions as a whole? I read a comment earlier in this thread eluding to the fact you could. Maybe it was just the way it was worded. Anyone have an answer for me?:)

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The base set is bought as packs with six random cards, for either real money or in-game gold (which is earned at a rate that surprised me).

The Madhouse mini-expansion and the upcoming Fall of the Dark Brotherhood story expansion are bought as whole, complete sets, either as IAP or for gold earned in-game.

Bethesda has announced that all non-cosmetic content will always be purchasable for in-game funds.

No hard math, but the drop rate of rates, epics and legendaries in packs are considered anywhere between decent ( = better than Hearthstone) to quite generous.

7. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    This game is really awesome. I usually don't send any money on IAP this fast, but i'm going to buy myself a starter pack

8. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    should i buy the starter pack from their website rather than on app store? I dont want apple to cut into Bethesda's profit margin

9. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you for your quick response! I think it's cool that all subsequent expansions will be available as a set. It makes me very interested! Is there any news when it will be released on Android tablets?

10. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Playing through the story-mode (through chap15) and so far, so great.

As others have mentioned it's Hearthstone+, but for me, it's even better, as the Elder Scrolls lore and art is far more interesting than WoW.

I also appreciate that it runs well on the ipad4, a generation of iPads that most devs (and unity) decided are no longer worthy of their attention.

11. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Offline mode available?

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #32 Ayjona, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Nah. But like Dire Wolf's other game Eternal - and unlike most competitors - all games against the AI can be abandoned and resumed freely. A huge boon for those of us who want to play Legends in circumstances that jeopardize our connections and cost us games against human players. Especially with Legends' awesome solo arena content that make AI play a persistent (and rewarding) option.

Yer welcome! The Android tablet client release is set for April, and the smartphone client in June (presumably at the same time as the iPhone client).

13. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    One last question: How many packs do you estimate I would have to purchase to have a decent chunk of the base set? I know that people will say this game is actually quite "grindable" and "f2p friendly" but it requires a lot of time that I don't have at the moment. I have disposable income so it doesn't bother me to support this game that I'm enjoying so much at the moment. I know that CCG's are quite expensive to keep up with if you don't have the time to grind. However, I want to know because I need to determine how much I'm willing to spend right now. If I continue to enjoy my experience, I will pour a bit more money into it down the road. Thanks!

14. MobileOnTapYT

Feb 17, 2017
    Really starting to get to grips with this game. I am actually loving it. Think I handled this battle very well. Any tactics tips?

15. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Not available on indonesian appstore

16. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #36 Jake7905, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Take this with a grain of salt, I only started playing yesterday. But after playing through the tutorial, the story mode, and buying that $5 starter deal (10 packs and a guaranteed Legendary) I already feel as though I have a fairly large set to play around with. And that includes quite a few Legendary and Epic cards. Simply put, the game is very generous, even without my $5 investment. I feel no need to spend any further money at the moment, though I might once I start netdecking.

There's also a solo arena vs the AI (150 gold to enter, same as Hearthstone) that's not very difficult (I went 9--1 on my second try, and 9 wins is total victory in this mode). And in the end my 150 gold investment netted me 2 packs (worth 100 gold apiece), 100 crystals (this game's crafting currency), and 130 gold. So that seems to be an effective way to grind for resources.

Edit: I just checked my player profile and it shows that I have 49% of the Core cards. Not bad for $5 and a couple days of play.

17. MobileOnTapYT

Feb 17, 2017
    #37 MobileOnTapYT, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Anyone played PvP yet?

18. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    I really appreciate your input!:) That helps me out a ton. I'll just invest in the starting deals then and be f2p from there!

19. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I've played four "Casual" matches of PvP and it worked very well (I won three of the matches). After your third win, you get a reward, which is pretty cool. This is the first digital CCG I've played (I'm not counting Pathfinder Adventures as a CCG) and it was the first time I've ever played PvP in anything. I'm really enjoying the game so far.

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Is there any story mode or is it always against people?