Duck Shot- Retro style meets modern gameplay

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Crazybreadman, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Crazybreadman

Crazybreadman Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    #1 Crazybreadman, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Hi TA members, here's a handful of screens from my upcoming title Duck Shot. Obviously from the screens you can tell it's not just another Duck Hunt clone :p. I wanted to take the retro style and match it with the great gameplay experience you can only have with the iOS devices.

I'm planning to submit to Apple in 2 weeks!

[​IMG]

The gameplay focuses on careful aiming and timing. The ducks will fly from either side at random and you have to pull back your slingshot and wait for the right moments to strike.

[​IMG]

Some ducks will drop powerups such as lightning strikes, fireballs, extra lives ect. Other ducks may drop coins which you must tap to collect.

[​IMG]

These coins can be used in the shop to unlock additional powerups and also upgrades for your slingshot.

[​IMG]

As you progress through levels, the wind will increase and change directions to make it more challenging (wind indicator in top right of screenshot). Also ducks will fly into ponds and float around for a bit. If you manage to hit these ducks you will get a nice bonus.

[​IMG]

Please leave some feedback and let me know what you'd like to see in Duck Shot!

2. slick_graal

slick_graal Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Mars
    Maybe different ducks that fly faster or take two hits. Maybe a lock on power up that last for like 30 sec

3. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    #3 Crazybreadman, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions :)
    There are occasional "fire ducks" that fly by faster and have a warning before they appear (and they explode when you hit them :D.) As far as ducks that take more hits, what about boss battles for super ducks that take multiple hits? I like the idea! A lock on power is def. a possibility. Right now all the power ups are being worked on so that will be on the list.

4. slick_graal

Nov 19, 2010
    Mars
    Ya and in Boss battle you could maybe have like 3-4 hearts and the duck can actually defeat you. I am not a developer so I don't exactly know if it is difficult to do that. If it is you could do time limit instead...CAN'T WAIT FOR THE GAME!!!!

5. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    Yeah, your "health" is the duck meter on the bottom left. When ducks escape you lose one from it (or +1 duck if you collect a 1up). So there could be boss ducks that will swoop in and attack your slingshot and make you lose ducks from your meter. Again thanks for the idea. This sounds like it could be fun :)

6. slick_graal

Nov 19, 2010
    Mars
    ya sound like this will be the next game that wastes my life but is so fun i can't put down:)

7. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Can one of the bosses be Dick Cheney?

As in, he goes duck hunting with you, but then you have to dodge him shooting at your face?

I kid.

I like the idea of the retro concept spiced up with great new ideas like powerups.

Is there a "time-slow" powerup?

What about a combo multiplier?

Is slingshot ammo unlimited (spam-friendly?) or limited?

-Null

8. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    lol :D To answer your Q. Ammo is unlimited but there is a brief reload time between shots so you have to make them count instead of mindlessly spamming shots. There will be combos, and I like your idea of a time slowing powerup!

9. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Looks like a lot of fun! When's this title release?

10. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It would be cool to see him in there. And it'd slip by easily if you named him DC in-game but made sure his face was clear.

11. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    @Butterbean- I'm hoping to be able to release it before the holidays, but if it's not ready I'm not going to rush it out.