Rolando 3

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TIMELESS, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Have they just ditched this game. Does anyone know what is going on with this game.

2. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I doubt NGmoco:] are working on this.

3. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    ngmoco only publish the game. Rolando is created and developed by Handy Circus

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Rolando 2 is still my favorite iPhone game of all time, so I really hope they end up doing Rolando 3.

Currently, HandCircus (the developers behind the first two games) are working on a game called Okabu. I don't know anything about that game - it may not be an iPhone game, and it may not have anything to do with Ngmoco. HandCircus has confirmed that they're focusing completely on that, and have nothing to say about Rolando at this time.

If Ngmoco owns the rights to the Rolando series, they could hire another developer to make the next game in the series, or develop it in-house themselves. If HandCircus owns the rights, we may be in for a long wait.

5. TIMELESS

Sep 10, 2009
    That is not good. Pocketgamer says it will be one of the top 10 games this year. I think It says something there buy handcircus saying they do not know when or if. That would be really ashame.Thanks for the information

6. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    will appear this year, in summer

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Well then fine,

I doubt Handy Circus are working on this. ;)

8. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    No problem, glad I could help. I just wish I had better news to report :(

Unfortunately, this isn't necessarily true. Pocketgamer is generally a good website, but in this case, I don't think they did a very good job reporting the situation. Ngmoco tentatively announced Rolando 3 for a November release date way back in spring of '09, before the second Rolando was even released.

It was unprofessional of Pocket Gamer to base an article on such old information. There is no reason to assume that anything announced back then is still accurate - the mobile game development landscape is fast-moving, and 9 months is an eternity.

I'm sure Ngmoco is keeping any information about future games tightly guarded until those games are closer to release. Remember what happened with TPD and Eliminate? They announced release dates they couldn't keep, then spent the next couple of months fielding angry questions about why they couldn't have the games done already, and when the games will be done.

They probably got sick of that, and decided that it would make more sense to just announce any upcoming games when those games are actually close to finished. If they are doing another Rolando game, I doubt we'll hear about it until it is close to finished...

9. TIMELESS

Sep 10, 2009
    I thank it maybe better if it is a unknown release date. But I also think they like all the attention that the game gets before release. There where a few games that did not make it in 2009 that where announced. I hope we get some better games soon.

10. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Well they are doing that know with games like we rule and godfinger which nobody has any news about other than they are on ngmoco's employees plus+ accounts.

11. Rolando 2 was developed by Hand Circus, but ngmoco:] was cooperating with them a lot. They even worked in the same office. Also, one of the employees was level designer. ngmoco:] surprisingly announced Rolando 2 and 3 last Spring.
    I am very disappounted there is no further information.

12. YouAllEverybody

YouAllEverybody Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I've heard no news at all on this, there was so much excitement for the original and its sequel but nothing on this. so I doubt there's one in the making but you never know. I still haven't played Rolando 2 though

13. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yeah... still waiting for news about those ones. I'm surprised nobody from Ngmoco has commented. For whatever reason, Touch Arcade's article reported that those are Rolando characters in the Godfinger picture, when they're clearly not, and the game obviously has nothing to do with Rolando. I'd imagine someone from Ngmoco would have wanted to clarify that point, so I'm surprised there is still no official word. Oh well, I'm sure we'll be hearing about all of that soon :)