Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Can't speak for the iPad 2, but on the 4th-gen iPad the game isn't bad at all, especially considering that it is iPhone-native. The gameworld backgrounds and sprites are definitely filtered, heading towards blurry (for comparison, if you've seen/played the game on a SNES emulator, the iOS version uses the equivalent of the "interpolation" filter), but all of the dialogue, status and menu text is perfectly sharp. The translation for this version is also tighter, more detailed, and generally better-written than the original SNES incarnation.

2. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    How are the controls on an iPhone 4/5? I see a ton of bad reviews on iTunes but am not too concerned since they're all from people that have < iOS 6. I've never played CT but want to pick it up on sale if the controls are good enough. I know it's a different style of game, but I thought the controls for FFIV were great.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Personally, I thought that the controls were actually pretty good. I played through the whole game, twice, on y 4th gen touch. I haven't played through on my iPad, but on the iPod, they felt perfect...

4. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Teacher, writer
    Japan
    #344 Sensei, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    I am sure this has already been answered in this thread, but I simply cannot catch the rat in this game to get the password. I tried for about 45 minutes and I just can't do it. Maybe it's the touch controls, maybe I'm just bad at games but I was really loving this game until this part. Do I have to catch it to progress with the story? Can someone help?

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I know this probably won't help much, but I do remember doing it... So it is possible. I just can't think back to remember how... Sorry, it was a while ago. =o/

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You can chase him and he will tell you something.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When Chrono Trigger first came out the mouse catching sequence was the standard for measuring acceptability of the controls and many reported it was possible. Maybe take a break and explore around for a bit before trying it again. You'll get that accursed rat eventually.

8. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Everytime I open it all I see is half the screen! I try to start a new game and then it crashes! Anybody know why? I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 5.1.1

9. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#349 ednan, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Does anyone else have the ugly faces on iPhone 5s?
    I played this game on my old iPhone 4 and it looked normal, but on iPhone 5s Chrono and other characters have a white face/black eyes that makes them looks alien/dead.
    And yes, I tried to download it again.

(it looks normal on my iPad 4)

10. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Wow! Sounds pretty awesome! I might have to pick this up now on the phone!

11. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#351 ednan, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Not really awesome. It's essentially broken, look:
    [​IMG]

Ah, I found the answer in the app description:
    ====================================
    The following bugs have been confirmed and fixes are forthcoming:
    - Graphic issues occurring on iPhone5S
    ====================================

So, it's just a matter of a little time :) (not really, I don't expect them to fix this soon, S-E is pretty bad at this...)

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, just found this out when I upgraded my phone. Kind of a bummer that paying more on a new phone leads to this game looking worse. Hope they fix it soon. Or after FFVI is released at least.

13. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    And finally an update to fix the 5S graphical issues. But now that I'm playing DQ8, don't know when I'll get back to this one.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Awesome... Maybe they'll add WS support in the future... Though if they were going to allow stretching like FFIII, I guess they would have done it now, huh?

The joystick still disappears when you drift into the black...

15. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Weird. In the description it says it is now optimized for iPhone 5. So, if they don't offer stretching to fill the screen, then I'd at least hope we could use the control stick on the outside bars! They have some color design on them now, right?

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No. The screens don't match the game. Seems the only widescreen supported 'features' are GameCenter and your keyboard when you enter names. The black bars are still black and the stick still becomes unresponsive once your finger drifts into the black.

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Personally, I don't mind the game in it's current aspect ratio. I'd rather view it with bars on the sides instead of squaty little fat characters. BUT I'd really appreciate the use of the floating control stick on the entire screen.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I'm right there with ya. Don't mind the bars so long as the controls work while touching them. Like FFIII...

It sucks even more knowing they can do it, but choose not to...

19. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Yeah, I don't get how they think stretching it out makes it better. It reminds me of people who buy widescreen TVs and watch the standard channels all stretched out. Ugh. Except this is even worse.

20. Why it's not universal [emoji17]