iPad Eliminate [FREE Online FPS] Pulled from App Store, Servers Shutting Down 5/25 R.I.P.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mjmoco, Oct 31, 2009.

1. hia-leah

hia-leah Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    School
    Miami
    #5001 hia-leah, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    I guess the crazy people spending $30 bucks on boxes of energy make up for the people not spending a dime... Its like their picking up the bill, lol let them, its called natural selection. Upgrading is just a gimmick; you still play for free!

Anyone what the hell does TS do? Increase damage? I just got the sniper, but the guy dies so fast its pissing me off.

2. phoeny

phoeny Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It's not really aim assist, it shoots automatically for you.

3. MellowFellow

MellowFellow Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yea I'm jealous that my company didn't think of a way to nickel and dime customers with a generic FPS and Dog game.

Oh wait I don't have a game company and I just play games..

4. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Excuse my ignorance, but i just got the game yesterday and still figuring a few things out. How do the power cells work? Do they recharge or do you have to buy more or what? What do they do other than allow you to get more energy? What happens if you run out of power cells?

5. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Gotta get that award myself - it isn't going to be easy to make it to the top 10!

Thanks, its always fun playing with you, you're really tough! :)

Well it's good because I'll get way more than 30 dollars of amusement out of being able to level up for the amount of time that 30 dollars of power cells buys.

Different people assign different value to their leisure time activities. I'm in a good enough position in life that I can afford to spend 30 dollars on a game that I like. I've spent more than before that on games that are not nearly as great as Eliminate without even blinking an eye. For whatever reason, the iPhone has become a platform that people are unwilling to pay prices that would be considered perfectly reasonable on any other system, and as a result, many (in fact most) games lack the type of polish, quality, and feature sets that you find on consoles where developers can spend enough money on development to deliver a superior product.

Ngmoco has managed to create one of the best and most polished games on the iPhone, and they're giving it away completely for free to those who are unwilling or unable to pay for the optional energy packs. I am willing and able to pay for them, and I believe that hard work and a quality product deserves compensation, so I will pay ;)

As for the weapons, I'm not really a fan of either of them. Give me the classic assault rifle any day :D

6. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    I dont get the people flipping out about prices. Honestly, buy the $10 pack, and you will never have to put more money into this game. Non-energized matches are JUST as fun as energized matches, its all in your mind. Use the power cells to upgrade, nothing else. I probably play 3-5 energized matches a day, but tons more that are not energized.

7. iMick

iMick Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Student
    The Netherlands
    Hehe, pwned. ;) Yeah, I know you guys pwn me back, but I'm the lowby with lower skill :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. postalp

postalp Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    The Anti-Matter Jet is a waste of credits, some people seem to like the Rocket Launcher for cheap kills but its downfall is most of the time you'll be reloading.

It annoys me how some people like to generalize others if they spend some extra $$ on a given feature of a game with comments like "have no life......sit at PC all day....weigh 500lbs......have bacne...etc..."

9. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Ahh, so it was you I was playing with this morning! You're good, you have a right to gloat :D

Still, that was only one match of many as I recall... ;)

10. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I had auto-shoot on in the Canadian version, but when I re-downloaded it, it was turned off and I left it like that. I like having to shoot myself.

11. MellowFellow

MellowFellow Member

Dec 21, 2008
    #5011 MellowFellow, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Ok I see your point of view about different people assign different value on activities. I just wish NgMoco had other options..I can see them milking this and putting heavier penalties on the people who don't wish to pay to play in future games.

And I know that you don't have to pay to actually play with this game (more so for the dog game however) But again I worry about their future games and how they implement this feature further.

12. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I got no school today! It's election day for the U.S. In gonna be playin this all day!

13. Elkas

Elkas Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm actually happy with the Free Gameplay, when you play Free, your Gameplay is longer and much more satisfactory, meanwhile, if you pay in excess, like that guy lv20 with Tank armor, who was beaten by ppl who are 10lvls below him.

Anyways, I'll still give "my support" in thanks to Ngmoco for this wonderfull game and buy a 10$ pack, but It might be the only purchase I'll make :)

14. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    The only time I play now is when I have energy. =(. Bc if i play w/o energy and my skill goes up there is a 100% chance I'll face level 30s when I do have energy.
    I hoped that I would actually be able to play more but i guess ngmocos gota make money...

15. iMick

iMick Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Student
    The Netherlands
    Haha, yeah your right. I think I will stay with infiltrator tho. I played against some dude with the tank armor and well.. It's main disadvantage is not it's speed but it's size. It's quit easy to hit, only I have to unload like a full clip on him to get him down :p

16. kdaddy

kdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Webbie Designer
    Seatle
    They keep putting me at a minute to go matches, oh no thats not really fair on me, players are already charged and hungry to all distroy me..:(

17. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    The entire iPhone developer community is watching Ngmoco and waiting to see how this experiment turns out. Server costs are expensive, that isn't just an excuse. If Ngmoco had just sold this game for $7.99 and been done with it, they would have made a lot of money very quickly, but there wouldn't have been much of a motivation to keep adding new features and maps. As it is, the more things they add to this game over time, the more they'll be able to keep people committed to playing it.

Remember though, things like energy cost, skill balancing, and recharge time are all still open to change. I'm sure Ngmoco is going to be monitoring the cost-to-energy ratio very closely and potentially modifying it to best suit what people are actually doing. Look at Touch Pets - the amount of food given per charge has already been massively increased since the initial launch.

18. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yeah, that is really starting to get irritating, I found the same thing happening earlier this morning. It is nice to not have to use energy, but I'd rather just start a match fresh to truly test my skill.

19. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    woah .. just having my first experience with this game .. I think I did eliminate no of opponent just now ..

somehow, it's difficult to get connected .. in the main menu it took a long time to connect to HQ .. sometimes getting forever .. I don't think there is a connection problem as my wifi work very well with pc .. so is this a norm for time being?

20. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    My thumbs hurt today! No eliminate for me... lol