Ninja Dino Showdown!? - An action defense game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by wilson_BR, Feb 24, 2012.

1. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    #1 wilson_BR, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Ninja Dino Showdown!?
    Out Now on the App Store
    website/dev blog

[hqyoutube]W0PKRboxzkg[/hqyoutube]​

Hey guys, I've been working on this game for over a year and it's finally submitted to Apple! (hurray)

The quick sell:
    • Choose and upgrade your team from a variety of jobs
    • Unleash ninja powers on your cold-blooded foes
    • Fight hordes of dinos made of different dino types
    • Earn over 21 upgrades
    • Over 50 levels
    • Free episode updates!
    Summary:
    It's an action defense game played on a battlefield grid moving ninjas around, where you change jobs, upgrade, and use each job's unique powers and abilities to defeat waves of dinos. As you progress in the game you unlock new ninjas, items, and dinos. The game is episodic in nature so there's a bunch of new stuff in the works.

More:
    The game will ship with a dojo and jungle/jurrasic park themed episode. The next two episodes, both of which are half done, are a savannah/safari and an arctic environment.

All future episodes will be free-- no in-app purchases. Episodic also means we plan to continue development for the foreseeable future, and we would like your help in improving the game to it's fullest potential. Currently we're running a small beta test, just PM me or email me.

There's some screenshots on the dev blog and it should release late next week if Apple approves. I'm hoping with your guys' support, I can bring on a friend who's been involved working part time, increasing the full-time dev team to an outrageous two people.

2. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    #2 wilson_BR, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Figure I should post some screenshots!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looks very promising. I send a PM about beta possibility. Looking forward to this release.

4. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    #4 wilson_BR, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    I was conversing with undeadcow privately but I wanted to address some issues he brought up.

Though we were inspired by PvZ, we also wanted to create something unique and worthwhile. Despite the screenshot similarities, notice that there's only 3 ninjas. In a tower defense game, you're building towers, but here you're changing jobs of 3 ninjas on the fly. Without the building or path optimizing, Ninja Dino Showdown is much more of an action game.

The game is shipping with 5 enemy types, but for each episode there are 5 more. We actually have all the programming done for the next two episodes, so that's 10 more upcoming.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    i really like the sound of that actually. Not so much tower defense as three fixed heroes with rapidly changing roles. Depending on what each role does/how they work together i could see a lot of neat possibilities.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm I really like the art style.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This game is amazing. It's frantic with the ability to move ninjas across rows and there is a really nice combo mechanic. Ninjas upgrades and specializing bring a nice amount of variety and customization to each level. There is a nice difficulty gradient. You guys will want to check this out when it hits App Store.

8. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    Yeah we've been iterating on the gameplay for ~2 years, with different people signing on and signing off development. At one point the game was incredibly, extremely micro-management heavy, on the same level as rts' like starcraft 2. We had to take a step back and check ourselves.. before we wreck ourselves lol.

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    I think a micro-management option would have been really interesting, as it is the upgrades are well paced. There is a unique mix of accessible casual elements with challenging gameplay here. Once the orange haired dinos show up the game gets pretty bonkers. The more I play the more I am enjoying it.

Hopefully one of the future episodes is a time travel "Turtles in Time" homage. This is a tangent but the comedically designed ninjas and the reptiles my 4 year old daughter pointed out it has a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles feel ;)

10. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    beta, beta, beta

Would like to point out again we are looking for beta testers, who incidentally will help with future episodes. Just PM me or email me. We will soon start testing episode 2, Cold Mountain Crisis.

At that time you could have as many ninjas as you want, the entire game balance was different so that the more ninjas you had, the weaker overall they'd be. But then it became a micro-fest, which is not where we wanted to go lol.

11. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    Hey guys, in celebration of the game's release on Tuesday (March 6th), we're giving out some promo codes!

JJERFYL9467J
    HJ4WNYANXFW6
    EAJH7T4HM4TH
    AEPRF939N3TH
    4MNAMY3HMPM3

12. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    Release Tomorrow! Weeee

Alright, couple years' work accumulating to tomorrow's release!

Also, we still are looking for beta testers for upcoming episodes, so PM me or head over to http://ninjadinoshowdown.com/

13. wilson_BR

wilson_BR Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    video game developer
    Calgary
    Game is out!

The game is finally released! Have fun guys, and thanks for the support!

Follow continuing development of future episodes on this thread

[thread]124859[/thread]