ARG Zombies, an upcoming GPS Based MMOARRPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ARG Zombies, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 ARG Zombies, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    ARG Zombies is coming... Are you prepared? In our unique game, players will travel in real space to real locations and fight monsters that are linked to your actual place in the world. Why check in when you can clear the building and scavenge it for loot? Fight, trade or chat with anyone around you in real space!

We feel like we have a great chance at becoming the future of mobile gaming, what do you guys think?

ARG Zombies uses your devices GPS capabilities as the core concept behind the game. Travel across the US, fighting zombies and other monsters that are unique to the part of the country you are in. "Check-In" when you enter a building in real life, clear out the zombies and find loot in the game. Use the materials you find to craft items to trade with other players, but watch out, everyone playing the game can attack or be attacked by other players near their current location. A unique main quest line will drive players to achieve the maximum level, where an updating story will yield progressive loot and real life rewards.

Owen Morris, first came up with the idea for ARG Zombies, while deployed to Southern Afghanistan in ’09-’10 as a Marine Corps infantrymen. After spending his spare hours designing the game in a war zone, Owen returned home safe, and began production with his own money. Since then fellow Marine David O’Hagan has joined the effort along with Owen’s brother Trevor Morris. They hope with a successful Kickstarter campaign, they will achieve their dream of becoming game designers and continue to push the limits of modern day mobile gaming in future releases.

Attached Files:

2. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 ARG Zombies, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Haha, thanks :) Haven't been on forums in a while :(

4. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    One question... what makes this different from the billion other "GPS" based MMOARRPG? Because you know... theres like 50 bazillion(exaggeration .___.) kinds of these apps on the appstore.

One thats closest to your ideas is the "Please stay calm zombie acopalyse mmorpg thing"
    Itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/please-stay-calm-zombie-apocalypse/id431638774?mt=8

Anyways, you gotta have some special things about your app... besides the fact that theres cool fighting?..... I can find dozens of those apps... make your app special and so that people would want to play it.

5. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Also to kickstart, use
    http://www.kickstarter.com
    This would be a great help for people willing to pledge money and stuff :p and maybe you won't have to rummage around the internet for people to fund your project, they'll come to you.

6. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    None of those "games" have an actual game interface. They are basically just webpages of information, like Mafia Wars. Sure some of them reference gps content, but your not really IN their world. The main screen of our game is an updating google map overlay that displays the actual locations of other players and buildings around you... What makes us special is that we are doing it right.

Setting your safehouse as your actual house in real life, and venturing out on exploration (distance from homebase) quests.. With our quest builder, we can literally send you on a real life adventure using "check ins", the core of our game gives us SO many gameplay implications just using the live map...

7. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
  8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Nice!

I was actually about to quote Knighthalo123 and say that the game doesn't look like any other GPS/MMO that I know of.

9. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks GoofyJmaster! I've been working on it for a while, and of course I think I have a genre-breaker... but I really appreciate hearing someone else say it.

-Owen

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've got a question. Will this be able to work without gps? Using wifi instead as I've only got a iPod 4G. Or is it coming to android as my phone has gps :)

11. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You will be more limited using wifi only, we have yet to test it thoroughly enough to have the exact differences down. Your character may "drift" a bit on the map, and some other weirdness. But it should still function.

And yes, we are planning to port to Android for launch also.

12. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    The Wi-fi works really well for playing at home- the only downside is that you won't be able to access a lot of the rest of the content without a wifi... so you'll be limited to story mode, and whoever passes by...

13. ARG Zombies

ARG Zombies Member

Mar 7, 2012
    The filming crew Two Play Productions just backed us on Kickstarter... They are filming the documentary on "Double Fine Adventure", which made an astounding 2.5 Million on KS. Looks like we are gaining some momentum!

Anyone have any questions for us? We are currently filming and editing a basic gameplay mechanics video.

14. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    #15 OwenMorris, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    Gameplay Preview:

15. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    #16 OwenMorris, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    Last 4 days of the kickstarter campaign-
    $1 gets you in on the ARG Zombies beta- launching on iOS and Android!

http://kck.st/xREWWV

16. burn

burn Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sys Admin
    It's saying your video is private.

17. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Privacy settings fixed... 3 days left on the Kickstarter.

18. OwenMorris

OwenMorris Member

Mar 7, 2012
    YES it is different, because it's turn based for one. The special attack system is going to require players to do more than push a button, and their execution will increase their combat effectiveness.

Secondly- the way in which we are using QR codes is not something I have seen elsewhere. I think you can agree on that. Other than that, it's very simmilar to Please stay calm.