Tips for a new developer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dancy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    So my name is Dancy and I recently started developing games for the iPhone. I have been working on a game called hopple for about a month and I finished it and it should be accepted soon. Not sure how to approach the marketing aspect but so far things have been hard. I am 18 years old so I don't know the average age of developers, I assume I'm on the young side.

A few people have tested my game I think (prab had some nice things to say) but I don't know how it'll do on the store. I've been trying to market around but I'm not sure how the response will be lol.

I'm also a girl and I don't know how many female developers there are here (if any) but this is what I love to do so I hope it won't hold me back in any way.

Thanks guys, you guys have a great forum and community here.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Wow. A chick and a dev. Now we need about 47 more of you and this forum'll even out. Congrats on the game and all. Tell us when it comes out :D

Oh, and yeah, ruins the mood a little, but... er, wrong forum.

3. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    be responsive on the forums

And good luck :)

4. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Sorry about the wrong forum, didn't know. And yes I am a girl and I do plan on breaking the stereotype. It is a male dominated industry and I plan on doing well in this male dominated industry.

And yes, I'll try and be active on the forum and I'll let you guys know when the game is out.

5. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah, make sure you stay connected with the community here, and listen to feedback. I've bought many apps just because the developer was active on the forums, receptive to advice, and comitted to watching their game evolve into something great.

Giving out a few promo codes in exchange for reviews is a good idea too. Be sure not to just post them open in the thread (lurkers take 'em), but to give them by pm, or to review sites or something

and btw, there are a few female devs here...Nattylux of Imangi Studios, and Jane (Uggles)

6. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Glad I'm not the only one then :)

And I will most certainly listen to feedback. Already thinking about changing the icon through an update thanks to some feedback from prab, caught some minor bugs that also need updating. And yea I'll hand out some promo codes too for sure, both on these forums and to review sites (who will probably end up ignoring me lol)

7. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    A HUGE benefit is something as simple as posting some screenshots and basic information of features of your game.

8. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    I am also working on my first application AND I'm a woman. Hopefully our numbers will grow.

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    +1
    What he said.