I'd love to hear your feedback on our icon choice.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Eggroll Games, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Eggroll Games

Eggroll Games Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem
    We have decided on this icon for Tappy Lander! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Here is the trailer for context: Tappy Lander Trailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    tilt the ship?

Hi guys ... watched the video, and never was the space ship tilted like in the icon ... the icon gives a sensation of flying, the game is basically a control/landing app.

we also had (actually, still have ...) icon design dilemmas ...

thats the way it is, got to squeeze it out ... good luck

3. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    There is an idea out there that having a character that is looking directly at you increases the number of downloads an app gets. I haven't seen an real reports on this. But if you look at most of the big companies they do follow this logic with their icons.
    And psychologically it is true that our eyes are drawn to faces that are looking at us, so it does make sense. And as an example, use that screen shot of all the icons you took, my eyes quickly noticed the "blot", "Alien Jump", "Monkey Math" and "Pangolin" first. This may also be connected to the color contrast in those icons, but the character gives it more life, and makes me think I can relate to it in a subconscious way.

4. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Interesting theory. Any articles to link with that idea?

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I agree in that I picked alien jump, blot, and pangolin (in that order) caught my eye first.

I also agree the logo to me looks more like blasting off than landing.

6. Eggroll Games

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem
    I did worry about this a little. The rocket was rotated so it could fill the icon more and be in focus. I will consider going back to the upright rocket in a future update.

7. Eggroll Games

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem
    Yes, all our kids apps have a character making eye contact. I personally have found that what some people consider "cluttered" (having a lot of little details in the icon) seems to get more downloads. Our last app had a character engaging in eye contact with a little detail in the background-it seems to work well but I have no research to prove it.

8. Eggroll Games

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem
    Thanks for the specifics. I agree they are striking.

9. Eggroll Games

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem