StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Burton, Jul 27, 2010.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    :eek:

2. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    StarCraft 1 multiplayer is more customizable than wc3 I'm pretty sure. And I think sc2 should be the same.

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    About the three parts, They didn't split the game into three parts. Wings of Liberty comes with a massive 30-mission campaign with over an hour of cutscenes.

They have simply already announced the two future expansion packs which will retail for much less than 59.99.

4. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Not buying it until someone releases a crack that enables LAN multiplayer.

5. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    The original Starcraft required a LOT of clever thinking and knowledge of all the units and had great visuals / music / playability - something that's, unfortunately, entirely missing from most other RTS titles.

6. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Dunno yet whether I purchase it - unfortunately, there're a lot of titles (even WC3, along with Total Annihilation) that simply don't engage me. I stop playing these titles after 5-10 minutes. I become addicted only to very few titles. One of them was the original Starcraft and, then, Brood War - I was among the first to purchase them on the same day of the release, back in 1998. I think I'll spend some hours with a friend's installation to see whether the new sequel is as engaging (for me) as the original was before actually spending the $99 for the Battle Chest edition.

7. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Wiki makes starcraft 2 sounds like the original with better graphics, that's it. No new units (actually some deleted ones, complete disappointment), no new concepts except a few skills you activate here and there, still same old story, same characters. -.-
    I was actually excited over this, but unless wiki is completely wrong which I doubt, looks like no need to get it.
    Hope Diablo 3 isn't a disappointment.

8. ReadMyLips

ReadMyLips Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Dominos
    Minnesota
    SCII is GOD. The engine is awesome. The cutscenes are awesome. The campaign is awesome. The multiplayer is awesome. The best part is that its playable on my Macbook Pro!

9. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I'm enjoying the campaign so far - just 3 missions in.

Don't really care for the multiplayer (partially because I wouldn't last against most decent/good players) :D

10. ReadMyLips

ReadMyLips Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Dominos
    Minnesota
    they break you in with fifty practice matches...

11. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    Starcraft 2 is fantastic. The first Starcraft is what gave RTS's definition and entertainment (IMO), and it was great to see the sequel. I pre-ordered it and it came like 2 days after release. I've been playing it quite a lot (along with League of Legends). And YES!, it is a good game and the best strategy game I've ever played. Graphics are insanely good, the storyline is one of the best sci-fi action stories out there (better than Star Wars IMO), and the gameplay is just incredible. I'll leave it at that for now... but I highly recommend this game for any strategy fan.

12. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Yeah - yesterday, I bought the Collectors Edition. (I'm also "Menneisyys" on Bnet.) Pretty nice so far - the only problem I have is the hotkey changes; for example, the siege tanks (I still always use the old "t" to produce it in factories; it's been reassigned to Thors).

BTW, did anyone run into the problem of the 9600 GPU overheating on a 17" MBP Pro (2009 late model, 2.8 GHz, 4G RAM?) I'm unable to play any game in its full 3G glory / video on my MBP because of it locking for 10-15 seconds all the time, every 20-30 secs. It's certainly not a compatibility issue as I've tried removing / disabling all resident apps. With the default 3D controller, I can only use "low" at a comparatively low (slightly higher than 1024*768) resolution and can't use 1920*1200 at all, not even at the lowest detail.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #33 backtothis, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    Thought I'd finally get back into RTS scene after watching IGN's IP4 last night. It's been quite a few years since I stopped playing SC, AoE, and EE. Wanted to run through a few matches on SC/BW for old time's sake before jumping into SCII. Tried to buy the SC Anthology just now, but it turns out OS X Lion no longer support PowerPC apps anymore, meaning I can't play anything from Blizzard that came out before and including Diablo II's expansion on my MacBook Pro. Hopefully, I can get a refund although it was only $15. Still going to go ahead and grab SCII though. Should be a huge time killer, but I'm very, very excited, having once been a complete RTS addict.

Edit: Downloading.. 6.5 GB to go. Starting SCII at this point in the sems will probably lead to some dire consequences. Don't want to think about how much time it'll take up.

Oh well, game on.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Already playing through mission 5. Can't believe how far the game has come in about a decade. It's just incredible. No doubt, this will be all I'm playing soon enough. Excited to try out multiplayer with some friends later. The game looks as good as it plays.

15. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    #35 Jordanrracer, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    Really..? Either you're some kid looking through the forums to make fun of others or some shit [trolling], or just insulting. Go play your "major league baseball 3873'th edition" and get yourself a home run because you can't get one in real life.

I can tell you I'm not a virgin, nor a geek or a nerd and I still enjoy Starcraft. Infact I never played Starcraft before and bought Starcraft II a few months ago. It's amazing. Also all the great custom multiplayer games are starting to release now! It's epic.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just played SCII online for over 5 hours with a party of three other friends. Holy crap, I'm addicted already. Playing my placement matches tomorrow.

17. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    BTT, let me know if you want to play some team games at some point. I'm usually down for a few games, but most of the people I used to play with have quit or rarely log on.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Will do.

19. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Add "Fuzzy", code = 749. I'd like to join you also! ;)

20. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm amazed that people who call themselves gamers have little or no knowledge of one of the classic games of all time.