Approval & Release Dates, Getting Featured

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AlienSpace, Mar 20, 2013.

1. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    If I have a game that gets approved by Apple and then I wait 1 or 2 weeks to release it, does anyone know if that affects the likelihood of being featured in New & Noteworthy? Are there any drawbacks that anyone can think of in doing this?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    From experience, only high-profile games are featured if the release is delayed. Generally speaking, the featured games are selected from the typical Wednesday night release rush.

3. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

My game, Krashlander, was delayed. It was released about 2 weeks after being approved. It was featured in New and Noteworthy, so it is possible to get featured even if you delay your release.

4. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

The same as Jeff: we delayed 1 week and our game was in N&N. I don't think there's any relationship between delaying and being featured; it's only a matter of quality.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    They have a two-week gap from where they select featured games, I haven't seen any earlier than 2 weeks.

I also heard that they ask developers to delay their releases so Apple can feature their game.

6. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Good information, thanks everyone.

It makes sense that they'll chose their N&N from the pool that actually released in the last week, but I just wanted to double-check in case anyone has contradictory information.

BTW I was looking through iTunes and I couldnt find the list of recent releases. Is that gone? I remember you used to be able to get a listing of any recently released games, and the positioning on that list (if sorting by date) was determined by when the game was approved, rather than when it released.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Long gone, since iOS 6. It's the one reason my iPhone is still on iOS 5.