End Complacency Over Lack of Game Center!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DonnyDJ76, Feb 8, 2012.

1. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Does this game have Game Center Leaderboards/Achievements?

I didn't see it in the description or in the video.

Thanks,

Don

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    After watching the gameplay video, I can honestly say that it looks a lot more fun than I expected.

Seconded!

3. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    So are there GC achievements?

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Man, Chillingo has been dropping the ball on enforcing/encouraging devs to add Game Center support.

I think I'm going to have to pass on this one out of spite.

5. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well the bigger that Chillingo gets, and they are already pretty huge, the less they need to use GC for exposure etc. and the easier it is to use their own Crystal network, promote and expand on it. I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. I certainly don't mind Crystal but the addition of GC would really be appreciated as that is my preferred account.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, this is why I wish Game Center was standardized. If it comes down to Chillingo expandig and not caring anymore, they can expect no more buys from me. There are plenty of other devs/publishers that deserve my time.

Chillingo has a couple big games that have been announced, so I'm eager to see if they include GC.

7. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I definitely see your point however the inclusion of GC is certainly not a deal breaker for me. I just want a fun game to play, if it has GC, even better! Chillingo has actually been very good about still including it in their games recently too for the most part. Considering they are now owned by EA which made me nervous, Chillingo is actually still a great publisher and consistently releases quality titles.

8. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Nah, I have to put my foot down because they can do it--almost positive that they can.

There are plenty of great games, so I don't need to support Chillingo if they can't include GC.

Like I said, it should be standardized. Plus, with the amount of games that are released on a weekly basis, GC means quite a bit to me.

I have no problem with other ppl supporting them, but I won't buy any games that don't have it. I also don't buy EA games anymore.

I've graduated from no achievements more than once when you consider all the platforms I've played on. I've even graduated from Crystal and Open Feint since being on iOS. I really don't want to regress.

I'm just over it. I'll ask if a game has GC. If it doesn't I'll decide to pass or not. I'll also ask if it's planned for the near future.

/rant rambler

9. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The lack of GC is not a deal breaker for me either.

However I really think that Apple should make GC integration a requirement. A solid and integrated social gaming network would make iOS games even more appealing.

Right now there is a mess: games that require Facebook, or Crystal, or GameCenter, or OpenFeint, or developer's own approach or even more than one at once, like PokerPal (a great game that poorly uses its own approach along with Crystal and GC - multiple devices don't work properly).

We're losing. It'd would be great to have a single network like e.g. the PS3.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #10 GoofyJmaster., Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Lack of GC isn't an end all deal breaker for me either. I've bought plenty of games over the past month that don't include it due to really wanting the game or after being somewhat reassured that dev is working on adding it.

However, a line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere. I think a good place is starting with Chillingo. This is a publisher that has been known to include Game center in all of their games, so i'll let them know that the few that don't have it will not receive my money.

I also don't want them to start a trend of this and then smaller devs no longer try to include GC. Also, I don't want all the devs that decide to pair of with Chillingo to not not include GC.

Like I said before I've graduated from no achievements multiple times, and I really, really don't want to regress. Plus, this is iOS, so there are plenty of other games to occupy my time until measure are taken.

Also, Chillingo has two huge titles scheduled and I would be really disappointed if they don't include GC.

Just add standardizing Game Center to the list of things I'd like Apple to do.

This is exactly what I'm wanting. Maybe I'm asking for too much coming from Xbox and Xbox live, but I don't think I really am. I think it's more so some devs not seeing the potential and Apple not caring.

*Anyways, I'm done ranting. I just wanted to make it known that my reason wasn't as simple as no GC being this ultimate deal breaker.

Enjoy the game people! :)

11. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Really don't get the deal with GC. After all....what's wrong with Chillingo's Crystal? Achievements, Leaderboards...just no multiplayer, which this game doesn't even use, so...Plus there's bonus level sharing methods.

Speaking of the game, it looks possibly interesting, but I'm not necessarily sold. Will see after a couple impressions. If this is more fun than the casual games usually are, then I'll probly get it though.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    A lot of ppl prefer Game Center as their social gaming hub, me included.. It has replaced Open Feint. I could care less about anything being shared on Crystal because i don't have friends on Crystal and I don't use Crystal unless it's to sync missing achievements to GC. Also, it's only for Chillingo games.

Apple needs to make a few social improvements to GC and standardize it.

*Okay, now I'm done!

13. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I come in to this thread for impressions about what is one of my anticipated titles of the evening. I see that the thread has many posts. Instead of anyone sharing any kind of game play there is this huge debate whether it should have or should not have included Game Center.

Well everyone, apparently it didn't. Those that are stomping their feet like a whining child should remember this is a PHONE platform. This was not a full fledge console that decided to splinter into several slivers to have leader boards and achievements. This is primarily a phone (and I am sure that is a disappointing statement to most of you to see in print) that also plays games. Just like it also takes photos. Just like it sends emails. Oh and you can surf the web too. Believe it or not but there are TONS of people that don't have a SINGLE SOLITARY game on their iPhone! Yes! Truth!

Just like other smartphones before it, there are games to download though. Instead of complaining about what we DON'T have, how about we revel in what we DO have - the latest and greatest in mobile technology that allow games of this caliber to be distributed and played with or without achievements and leader boards that accomplish what? Inflating egos? Proving you spend your casual gaming time more effectively than I do? I know that the bulk of you are more mature than your posts are making you look.

Can we drop the off topic rants that are appearing in more and more threads and discuss game play please? If you must make a personal statement and boycott games that do not include Game Center or Open Feint or Crystal or any other system, go for it. But please let the rest of us enjoy the games without having to hear about it.

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #14 GoofyJmaster., Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Ughh! The complacent nature.

It wasn't even a huge rant but a couple of posts explaining my feelings towards it. Is this not a forum. I understand that this is the game section, but the general section doesn't do much good either.

I mean I'm looking towards the future...sorry for that.

It's really not childish or immature at all. Again, it's an outlook on the future of mobile gaming. Sorry, I want a standard social hub, and big devs are refusing to incorporate GC. It's starting to seem as if Chillingo might be heading this way.

I've been on iOS for over 2 years and there's definitely more to complain about than to revel in if you ask me.

15. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's not only another phone a long time ago. This forum is the proof that iOS is a profitable and serious gaming platform.

I'm sure Apple thinks this way too and it's a matter of time until Apple dedicates some time for GC. It's better than when it was released some time ago.

And as consumers we have the right to ask for even simple things like GC. It may be silly for you but that's your opinion. And to each his own.

And by the way I'm sure we'll talk about the gameplay when it is out in US, as always. But in a way we were talking about the game.

There's no one right or wrong. Only point of views. Both should be respected.

16. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Some of us use ipods and those arent phones = D. So i would agree with you about iphones but not ipods. lawl.

17. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Exactly, and well put. Most of the toucharcade are US citizens, and we wont get until 11:00pm EST, unless you have other accounts (which most dont)

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I agree! His post wasn't clouded with anger like my last one. Honestly, I think things like this need to be discussed more often instead of repeatedly being swept under the rug.

Sorry for my frustrations, but I really think them to be legitimate being a gamer and someone who has a put so much time and money into championing the iOS platform, even when it doesn't even deserve it at times.

19. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Yup and I respect both sides of the opinion, just that within several game threads is not the place to carry out long extended debates that go on for pages. I also realize that many people only have an iPod Touch which though it doesn't make phone calls, does other things than JUST play games.

I guess at 11 the thread gets cleaned up to include only on topic posts. Maybe we just need a "this game doesn't have Game Center" storage thread.

If like some of these responses suggest and the majority of the people who are going to post on the forums are from the US and can't give game impressions until 11 PM EST yet can't help themselves from complaining about one thing or another before then, then maybe we shouldn't have NZ threads.

(btw I never said I thought Game Center was a "silly" thing - merely that the whining about it being omitted is silly)

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, these things shouldn't keep getting swept under the rug. I know for a fact that I'm not the only person concerned about GC. However, i might be the person that fully voices there opinions. Again, this is a forum...right?

And taking problems to the general section is like asking (more like begging) for them to be swept under the rug. Personally, I like that the NZ threads open up these debates. "Life is too short to be complacent" - that's my motto.

And trust me, I've definitely been complacent at times.