iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    As I understand it, Apple objected to games mentioning the need for added hardware at first (maybe an old rule to help make sure touch-only gaming would take off?) but not any more. I believe it's fine to mention iCade now.

The best list currently is probably the official one here:

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

It's not everything, but it's pretty close, and it notice that does get updated semi-regularly. As near as I can tell, Ion's developer info (a simple PDF) doesn't invite developers to send their additions to that list! So I'm not sure how Ion finds them. Maybe they read this thread :) Or developers take it upon themselves to notify Ion. Seems like Ion could be more direct about reminding developers to submit to that list.

2. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Good to know Wimp will support it, I even got it for free, and played a bit and it's a pretty great platform game. My sister might like it too though perhaps it's too challenging for that.

A wiki list would be great, maybe divided in genres etc as well, or if possible optionally sorting them by popularity kind of like appshopper sorts its games display, scrolling a simple list like the official isn't that useful.

Still waiting for the iCade here, it should have arrived today but it didn't. Hopefully this week though.

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    used to be this thread when i had time to update it :(

4. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Just a quick question, how do game dev like us able to add icade support?
    Thanks!

5. Thought I posted here before, but can't find it. Does icade work with hdmi tv? I think maybe I want to try icade, but only if I can play with my bigscreen tv. And is there a wireless icade I can play so I can play with a wireless icade controller on my tv using my ipad as a console?

6. makaGeorge

makaGeorge Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah. iCade connects wirelessly through Bluetooth, so you can plug an hdmi cable to your device and connect it to your tv. I've tried this with my iPad2 and my iCade as I had to add support for a second screen to Vector Star Brawl in order to fully support the upcoming Gamedock controller. It works perfectly, so any game that supports an external screen and iCade should work too.

@touchten Get the sdk at https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS
    With a small modification you can add support for Gamedock too... Also, do check Simul80 http://kode80.com/osx-apps/simul80/ to use the Mac keyboard as an iCade controller, or even USB joypads. It's great when you are testing... especially if you don't have an iCade, and it can also simulate any controller of its kind...

7. Thanks, and is there such thing as a wireless bluetooth icade controller that I can use with my ipad without jailbreaking?

8. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #1388 Adams Immersive, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Thanks for getting us started anyway!

iCade is simply a keyboard of sorts, but with different "letters" pressed for buttonup and buttondown:

http://www.ionaudio.com/downloads/ION%20Arcade%20Dev%20Resource%20v1.5.pdf

All iCade games work with my HDMI projector (at least with iPad 2 or newer) because the iPad mirrors all games. I fiddle with the picture size a bit to make it bigger, but it works.

That's partly why I wish I had a lap-friendly iCade Core instead of the full cabinet.

iCades are always Bluetooth. All models. And no jailbreak needed. (Jailbreak comes into play only when people want to add iCade support to games where the developer didn't build in iCade support.)

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    How does connecting via HDMI differ from Airplay (I have an Apple TV 2)? Also, anyone know if an iPad mini iCade is in the works?

10. How i think it is is that airplay is its own standard so it is full screen on the tv, seems to be a different resolution to ipad retina (lower), and you can use the ipad as a joystick the screen doesn't show the game at all.

Hdmi, video out, apple tv all support airplay. Mirroring is totally different, and that is where hdmi beats apple tv cause there is no lag or hitches.

11. @ adams immersive

Wow, if icade works with hdmi, I gotta do some serious research into it cause I only play on my tv nowadays. Gonna give it a serious look.

12. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    And if you get the Core version, the cabinet won't get in the way, but you'll still get full arcade controls. The 8-bitty would be another choice if a gamepad is all u need. Less compatible though.

13. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Game Dev @ Fun Mob Games
    Australia
    Pocket BMX

Hey everyone,

We've just released an update to Pocket BMX that includes iCade support!! We've also included different button configurations for iControlPad and other game pad style controllers. It's a big update with plenty of new features, so check it out.

Also, we're having a 50% off sale for the new years 2013. So grab it while it's cheap :eek:.

14. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    ... Or if you want play games supporting iCade out of App Store (for example iMAME and emulators), right?

15. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #1395 RayLancer, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Guys a bit help. I just got my iCade Jr, but I seem to be unable to get Shogun to work with it. I went to option to check the option for iCade support... unless it supports only the regular iCade.

Edit: Just looked at the official site compatiblity... nevermind :<

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Pocket BMX looks promising--thanks!

You can try your favorite games now if you have an AppleTV, and see what you think. I forget how you enable Airplay mirroring, but it's simple. The picture froze up on my when I tried it, every few minutes, but this was on a very crowded WiFi network I suspect. On a clear, fast network I don't think that would happen. There will be a perpetual slight delay, which some people may notice. I didn't, but maybe I would have in time? Depends on the game.

I don't think anything has been heard about a mini-sized iCade, but I wouldn't want it anyway, I don't think: the controls would have to be smaller. The great thing about iCade is the big real-arcade controls.

Regular iCade would work with the mini: the slot would accommodate just about any tablet (I even stick my iPhone in it sometimes, silly though it may look).

Better yet: iCade Core. The mini wouldn't look so odd, without the big cabinet to dwarf it.

17. Greyskull, for gaming and mirroring, get hdmi, it's much better performance wise than apple tv mirroring.

18. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Does iPhone work as well as iPad with all games?

19. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1399 Alextended, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    The iCade I bought as a gift for my brother in law has finally arrived, I've assembled it and tried it out.

It's as cool as I hoped, except the build quality outside the inputs area, basically the actual cabinet, isn't actually all that great. Mostly the side parts, it's like condensed paper or something, I got some marks on it while screwing things in and a little bit of damage where the top lid fits in the side piece with the metal bits. Thankfully it's not at all visible in regular use from any angle and it's not something you'd constantly move up and down to risk making it worse but yeah, be more careful than I was when you assemble yours, do not force anything in even when it seems that you should.

Other than that, it's also definitely as loud as people say, but playing Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy and even Pac-Man is pure awesome. It's very responsive and feels good. The buttons are perhaps a tiny bit stiff but maybe they'll normalize with use.

I also got a scare with the darn thing not working at all with my brother in law's iPad2 even though it worked perfectly fine with mine, after like an hour I discovered that I had to go back to a typing screen with the iCade off and switch the language back to English with that globe icon for the inputs to be recognized in games. I had reached the point where I was going to leave my own iPad 2 with them until I could discover the cause but thankfully that wasn't necessary in the end.

Now I'm just waiting for iOS 6.x to be Jailbroken so that we can use it with iMAME games and also get blutrol since official support is still not widespread enough and many games perfect for it don't support it (hello Crazy Taxi, Metal Slug 1, etc).

20. bsquadron

bsquadron Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    #1400 bsquadron, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013