Are you a retro gamer? Come here!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by epik5, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    It really doesn't.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh come on Gov, you're literally the grandfather of doing this on touch arcade.

And I hardly think someone who's first video game was Super Mario World 2 is classified as a "kid."

3. At this point, it seems like you're really generalising the retro game term. Retro games are old games, but what should really be a definiton of an old game? I mean, Mirrors Edge is getting rather old now. Should we call that a retro game?

It's easy to see that most people in this thread have a varying interpretation on what the retro game term actually is. And none of them are technically incorrect. There are so many ways that we can look at games and judge whether they are retro or not

To me, retro games are old games which future games take and improve on, be it in graphics, sound or gameplay. You can see this with a lot of launch games on consoles. Developers are only just getting used to what they can do with the console, so they don't use it up as much as they could at first. However, as they get more used to the console, they are able to do even more great things with it. To some people, they might consider those launch titles sort of retro, as they served as a sort-of building blocks to what has since been achieved on the very same consoles. The same could also be said concerning a video game series such as Grand Theft Auto, where the game has improved graphically and gameplay-wise as time goes on

As JCho says he thinks that Infinity Blade should be considered a retro game, he could be thinking with that form of approach. Infinity Blade was a sort-of groundbreaking title on iOS, achieving graphics which hadn't really been seen on the platform and with the gameplay which hadn't been seen that much beforehand. The original Infinity Blade has spawned off two sequels, a countless amount of games with similar style gameplay to it and it's allowed for even more iOS games to have a level of beauty which was considred unbelievable just 4 years prior to now. That could be an interpretation on how Infinity Blade could be a retro game in an iOS sense

We should remember that this is a thread about retro games in an iOS forum, where all of the games listed have been released on iOS. It could be easy to assume that we can talk about retro iOS games. Infinity Blade may not match most people's definition of what a retro game is, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a retro game if we look at it from just an iOS perspective. 'Retro game' just seems to be such an ambiguous term, when you think about it too thoroughly

Then again, Jcho could just be trolling us

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I get some of what you're saying but come on, a retro game means an old game not an old game released on iOS.

Same as a platformer historically means a game with platforms with left/right/jump controls, now it seems some people think it means a runner.

Yeah Infinity Blade 'might' be a retro iOS title but again looking at the initial post its obvious what the original poster meant so we're all getting a bit pedantic about things.

I like games from every decade and its great i can play so many on my phone

5. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    This thread has made me feel sad bc I feel old!

I would define a retro game as any game that was either released in the arcade from the late 1970s all the way through the 1980s.

As for home consoles, any game that was released for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Intelevision, Colecovision, Nintendo, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo.

As a child, going to the arcade with a handful of quarters or playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! at home was a lot of fun.

6. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Retro is... before 3D.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I just love the retro games i grew up with though...

Atari 2600 - Never had one but remember playing on my cousins back in the late 70's, incredible for a kid. Hearing the sounds now on any Atari 2600 game brings back memories

ZX Spectrum - Best machine for me, had one in the 80s/early 90's, love it that i've got 200+ games for it on my iphone (Via Spectaculator where you can add games)

Vectrex - Never had one but my rich cousins did, amazing vector style console, love the Vectrex app

MAME/Gridlee - My favourite app ! With the iCade its even better. Love downloading games for this as i remember playing the originals in arcades or on holidays abroad.

Then you have games such as Doom/Duke Nukem, not all of them work perfectly on iphones but its great to have a quick go here and there.

Plus i'm jailbroken so i have a few emulators. Again in the palm of my hand i have 100's of classics from various old machines plus all the new iOS games i buy every week. Incredible device !

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Dragons Lair is retro.
    Infinity Blade is merely tro at the monent.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Omg! I'm soooo jealous :)

I loved the Speccy and I've tried adding games to Spectaculator but gave up as it was so much faffing about and I rarely got one to work. 200 games on it.. Awesome!!

10. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Just wait 10-20 years and i can put infinity blade on the list kiddo.

11. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    #31 epik5, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Guys, no need for an argument. A retro game is a game from the 90's , 80's or 70's. In this list im putting games from old classic consoles. So i cant put a 4 year old ios game in here. A 10 year old game is considered retro too (kinda). So whats next? You want me to put angry birds on the list?

12. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Tales of phantasia has been removed on the list. Due to the problems with in app purchases, online only and hard dificulties, the game with be removed from the appstore. Adding another game on its number

13. SapphireDragon

SapphireDragon Active Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Game Developer
    U.S
    It's funny because it's been 12 years since Baldur's Gate 2 was released. And that's just one of the best games ever.