Universal Star Warfare: Alien Invasion - (by Freyr Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Ok definately looking foward to this, instabuy tonight! :)

2. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    #22 airdan, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    So sounds like a defense / swarm type of game? Not my usual type, but it does look good.

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    After all the answers from the dev, I've decided to get this tonight! I'm loving the mob style for bosses and I can't wait to try it out.

Gotta ask...achievements? If not, any plans for them?

4. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Looks like Call of Mini Halo...

5. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks Sanuku! Bought when available here (uk) :)

6. FreyrGames

FreyrGames Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Yes, 23 achievements with 23 different icons.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    :cool:

8. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Call of mini: aliens. Or star troopers

9. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Idk the walking needs tweaking and after seeing how similar it appears to be to call of mini zombies im not as sure if i want this or not

10. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    seconded.. walking animation definitely needs some work

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #32 undeadcow, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Since ammo is consumable and not generated within a level it would be nice if there wars a melee weapon option. However insufficient it would help stave off whatever enemies are standing if my ammo runs out (which would mainly happen due to poor planning, ammo is affordable by in-game funds). It would be really cool as a challenge to see how long I could fend off the horde with a crude baseball bat or even a cool light saber style plasma sword. One of the best parts of classic Doom was descending with an insufficient chainsaw to make a run for it on a gamble. In Star Warfare running out of ammo amounts to waiting helplessly to be devoured.

In my opinion Star Warfare > Call of Mini. In-game upgrades are more accessible and Starfare seems more polished, greater environments, and nicer theme. SW has better graphics with only minor clipping. Both are semi-limited by IAP but SW is much more accessible in terms of upgrades without IAP. Also it feels like SW has better enemy AI; the critters seem to try their best to sneak up on you. Also SW has better game "progress" since the environments are seem more diverse and aliens dvolve quicker (versus CoM where you initially played the same stage repeatedly). Neither is an epic must have but SW feels more fun so far with similar mechanics.

I haven't had any problems with the walking yet; reasonable pacing. If anything turning is a little slow but not bad relative to enemy maneuvering/speed.

12. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Well said

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

The game is solid enough. The IAP is of the pay-up-or-grind variety no matter how the dev wants to slice it. You'll be wanting to save up for weapons/armor but instead have to be constantly springing for ammo. And you will get frustrated. Because the game is designed to make you feel frustrated. Then you'll either write off the 99c purchase price or spring for IAP. Really sick of this manipulative BS personally.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Then again, if you can unlock everything in the game for $2.99+ the original $.99, seems to me that you can choose to bypass the freemium aspect of the game and just play a flat fee. Right?

15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    After seeing Sanuku's video (thanks Sanuku!), I have to say I like the game. One quick fix though: please fix that "BNOUS" text which appears after the match. BONUS sounds much better ;)

16. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    .99 cents, this a no brainer.

17. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I am guessing from reading the games prologue that the developers primary language is not english, its ridden with grammar errors.

18. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    How much is it to bypass the iap BS? So sick and tired of good games being crippled by this system. :rolleyes:

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I believe the dev said you unlock it but still have to actually buy it. So paying the $3 only removes the level restriction.

In any case though, I don't particularly care. Just sick and tired of all these ploys and attempts at manipulation. Particularly as they are invariably so painfully transparent. I just want to pay an honest price for an honest game. Period. Thankfully there are still some developers left who offer just that, and that's where my gaming budget will be going in the future if I can help it.