Quad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Framais, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Game designer & developer
    #1 Framais, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    Hello my name is Francesco Maisto and today I would like to tell you about Quad, a game I have been working on for the past 6 months. After many years working as a game developer of web games at Miniclip.com I have decided to open my own game studio in Tallinn, Estonia and devote my whole self: soul, body and wallet to my first mobile game. Without further ado, with a little bit of pride and note without some trepidation, here it is.

Quad is a 2D puzzle, the main concept of the game is to merge four square tiles of the same size into a bigger one of the same color until you create one as big as the whole board. Our main source of inspiration has been the legendary Tetris by Alexej Paitonov, which I believe to be one of the best puzzle games ever created, as well as a great example of simplicity and playability (not to mention global success!)

Most of our efforts so far have been made to create original game mechanics and perfecting them. We have tried very hard to make Quad as intuitive as possible, while at the same time making it fun and entertaining.

Picking a graphic style has been one decisive step: we spent a long time playing with a bunch of different themes and style. Our goal was to keep the style simple and yet original. We tried everything: gems, candies, fruit and season vegetables but in the end someone who understood graphic design way better than we do came to the rescue... as you can see from these screenshots the Dutch painter Piet Mondrian has been a great source of inspiration!

[​IMG]

Recently we have customized the excellent level editor Tiled in order to create new levels using a graphic interface (as opposed to writing arrays manually which is never very fun!)

From a technology point of view we are using a combination of FlashDevelop + Starling which gives us decent performance, a mature and friendly programming language (ActionScript 3) and most importantly it allows us to use the same codebase to publish the game on multiple platforms (iOS, Android, web, PC and Mac).

The purists among the audience are probably cringing at the only mention of ActionScript :-D, but for a 2D puzzle I must say that it’s performing well and me being a long-time Flash coder, using ActionScript allowed me to hit the ground running instead of learning a new technology from scratch.

At the moment we are a 3 people team: Giampaolo who is taking care of PR/marketing, Emanuele composing the music and myself, looking after code and graphics.

You can find more info on our mini-website: www.quadpuzzle.com
    And if you want to keep yourself update with the latest developmente, Quad’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/QuadGame

Questions, suggestions and critiques are always welcome!

Thank you!

2. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Thanks for sharing, interesting to read your thought process for the game.
    Looks like it could be a fun game. Will be sure to keep my eye on this thread for the release info.

3. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks Back2funk, Quad is expected to be released in September this year, we're ironing out the last few bits to make sure it will be a smooth one!

4. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Quad's monsters

I have been working on Quad's monsters lately and tried to give them a distinctive look, moving away from the cute/colourful style that seems to have pervaded so many games in the App Store nowadays. Monsters are monsters after all and they should look repulsive by definition :D

I've made a couple of quick Vine videos to show you guys what Quad's monster are going to look like:

Mr. Fontana Scissorhands, a most annoying fellow with the creepy habit to cut through stuff:
    https://vine.co/v/hqiB6mrDVYe

...and Doctor Bushy, a disgusting creature nobody wants to ever touch:
    https://vine.co/v/hqiuiZF1Q6j

Let me know what you think!

5. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    #5 Framais, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    New teaser video for Quad, fresh out of the oven :)

6. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    New screenshots

A few new screenshots created for the Indipendent Game Festival submissions, I have tried to show as much as possible of the gameplay in each of them.

As you can see Quad is not your usual puzzle game, there's quite some action going on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I am going to present Quad at the Casual Connect Kiev next week (23-25 October) where it has been shortlisted for the Indie Prize so if you happen to be there stop by my table to try the game out or just to say hi :)

http://www.indieprize.org/games/index.html

7. Framais

Framais Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    #7 Framais, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Screenshots fot the Apple Store

[​IMG]

Hi guys

could you please help us picking QUAD'S Screenshots?
    Quad's release is getting near and we need to pick 5 screenshots that will be published on the Apple app store. Out of the screenshots in this image which are the 5 (ONLY FIVE!) do you like the best? Write your 5 choices in the comments below, thanks!

P.S. You can see hi-resolution versions here: http://imgur.com/a/YRR5U