Universal Dark Meadow (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Please update new iPad to Tegra effects thanks

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Can anyone help? Im about to get this game on my sister's ipod touch 4 and im not sure what to get... This? or the Free one? What's the difference between the two?

Thanks!

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Apparently nothing... just ask anyone who paid for the original "premium" app.:rolleyes:

Want an exciting read? Scroll through this thread, paying particular attention to the point at which a $6.00 game becomes a FTP +IAP game...:eek:

Seriously though, I own the original, un-updated version and it is one of the most beautiful, haunting, amazing things I've experienced in a while, IOS or console.

Based on the myriad iTunes reviews saying the two are essentially the same, I'd just go with the FTP. Unless your sister is an OCD completion freak (I am;)), all accounts say you can play through the complete game without any investment of real-world cash...

HTH

DBC

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Er... doesnt really tell me what the difference is. :D

I have the original and my sister likes how it looks. So i was gonna get her the game in her account, but unsure what she'll miss and whatnot.

5. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    #765 Drummerboycroy, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    I was just going to quote myself, but I'll try different words?:)

The two versions are essentially the same, based on many reports (as well as descriptions from PG).

The big difference is the free one includes more IAP, which you (apparently) don't need to complete the game.

Paid version? Paid + some IAP.

Free version? Free + some IAP.

Content is identical, according to PG and players...

I have to be honest with you. When I saw your name, I thought, "Oh, I like this person, they always write thoughtful stuff.":D

And then you responded and I thought, "I'm not sure how to say it any simpler.:confused::)

The issue is that the two versions ended up being pretty confusing. If you read through the thread, PG was going to go straight to FPT, players freaked out, and this is what they came up with.

Two identical games, one free+, the other paid. The paid users apparently got an apology gift. It was so minor, with players complaining about the drop rates being altered to encourage IAP in the paid version, that I never updated (did you update?).

FWI heard/understand, that's pretty much it. Content is the same, increased IAP in the free version, with IAP used to buy weapons and healthpacks in both.

Simple, right?:rolleyes::D;)

DBC

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    One more difference: while some weapons of the Free version are bought with Sun Coins (the second and IAP currency of the game), in the Premium version these weapons are bought with gold (normal currency).

7. PhosphorGamesGal

PhosphorGamesGal Active Member

Apr 19, 2012
  8. Creamer2010

Creamer2010 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland

I have some questions/observations:

1)In 1.1 version are new locations and opponents, but I just can not find it(i have free version from app store).Please someone add screenshots or videos about this

2)I tried to register on the official forums Phosphor games, but i have only information(when i click register):

3)In this photo opponent comes out (this is normally closed), is it possible?:

[​IMG]

4)And another foto:

[​IMG]

5)Mayby The Dark Meadow 2?

Ps:phosphor games,thanks for this great game:)

9. stryver12

stryver12 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indonesia
    Will be there multiplayer? Or any kind of update, such as new area or weapon upgrade or something? Looking forward to it. Take your time.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    This looks fantastic. I downloaded the free version but I'll most likely wait until the paid version is 99 cents and play through that.

11. stryver12

Jun 22, 2012
    Indonesia
    To do that it looks like you have to copy the Android version of Dark Meadow data files to the .ipa file. I'm trying it out, hope it works...

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My guess is that you would have to copy the files via iExplorer after it was installed (unless you're jailbroken and can install unsigned ipa files...)

13. stryver12

Jun 22, 2012
    Indonesia
    I've tried it, and it seems nothing changed. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I've even jailbreak my device and it didn't change anything. Tegra version is 900+ MB, and when I check back my iPod the app still takes 777 MB. Maybe I'll try again, but I'm afraid that it'll cause corrupted textures and stuff....

14. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #774 Johnny101, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    I finally picked this game up again, first time playing it with the latest update.

This is still one of the best games on iOS, just amazing but I am disappointed that the premium version is so geared toward iAP, that you may as well get the freemium version. Sure the premium users got some free gold but once that is used it is such a hard grind to attain enough gold to buy necessary items like Medkits.

In the previous version you could attain medkits a lot easier. Especially for higher levels, it is necessary to purchase them. If you don't want to spend countless hours trying to get enough gold for just a few items, the only option is to buy sun coins through iAP.

Another crappy thing for premium users is there is no auto save. Meaning you have to restart back at the elevator every time, no matter how many enemies you defeat. What's the deal with that???

Even though I love this game, I'm very disappointed how the premium users were treated with this whole ordeal.

Especially when their is hardly a difference between the paid version and the freemium.

15. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Sadly, agreed on everything you said...

This game remains one of the top three best gaming experiences I've ever had on my phone, and the single worst developer experience I've ever had.

Every review of the free version that commented about being able to play all the way through without spending money stung, every comment about how badly the premium version had been broken in the name of IAP profit stung...

I understand that things change, but to break a $6.00 game with an update that essentially ruins the game you paid for?

Never again from Phosphor, that's for sure. This remains the one update still in my iTunes free updates (the irony, right?:rolleyes:) available page. Thank goodness I read about the IAP nightmare before updating...

And the "consolation package?" Thanks for nothing.:rolleyes:

DBC

16. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA

Whole heartedly agree with you ! Phosphor definately bit the hands that fed them.

17. Creamer2010

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    #777 Creamer2010, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

A)Phosphor games,please answer to my questions;)
    B)Do you plan The Dark Meadow 2?;)
    C)Why registration on your forum is closed?

18. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    A)
    1) You need to finish at least once the game, and a new path will be unlocked near the spawn point.
    2) Maybe your IP is banned, idk.
    3 and 4) They are just "advertising posters". You can't trigger these cutscenes in-game.

B) http://phosphorgames.com/forums/index.php?topic=421.msg1295#msg1295

I'm not from Phosphor :p

19. Creamer2010

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    #779 Creamer2010, Aug 30, 2012

I dont know why,i went to forum only once,i wanted to sign up,that's all!

Thank you very mach for you answer,this is very helpful.

Please do The Dark Meadow 2

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #780 Ayjona, Aug 30, 2012
    Here's to the hope of IB-style parry swipes in a possible sequel. I don't want Dark Meadow to be a blatant IB clone, never felt it was, and I like how it differentiates itself, but parries are just too good a mechanic to exclude from the now archetypical IB fighting mechanics.

Also, my favourite aspect of Horn's mechanics was how the fellas at Phosphor Games finally broke the formulaic and rigid waiting pattern, where we defend against enemy attacks until we achieve a break in their defense, and then commense to bludgeon our screens with frenzied swipes. Always felt this was the greatest weakness of Infinity Blade's combat mechanics. I also liked how there was a greater element of mobility in Horn, with dodges sending us circling around our opponents.

A combination of these two aspects of Horn's combat, of Dark Meadow's original fighting system, and parry swipes (i.e., break the waiting pattern of IB by letting the player move around and attack unarmored or weak points from the opponent's sides and back, but still allow the player to achieve massive defense breaks by dodging, blocking and parrying)... might just make Dark Meadow 2 one of the most advanced and dynamic melee simulations on iOS (indeed, on any platform), and more importantly, so durned fun I get happy and slightly sexual shivers running up and down my back just thinking and rambling on about it ;)