List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I actually have Houdini, I just haven't tried it yet. As for Gothic, games from an unknown developer make me kind of nervous, especially in a genre that already has so many good entries. The graphics look decent but not outstanding, and the one screen that shows what I assume to be a mini-game looks kind of annoying.

2. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Omg you got Houdini?!? Play now please!!!

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Okay, I think I've played enough of it to say that you should definitely get it. My main complaints are that occasionally it's not obvious what to do / pick up, and one mini-game I actually had to skip (but it was some weird physics thing, so I didn't mind too much). Otherwise, the game has an interesting story, the game has a nice balance between hidden object scenes and everything else, and there have already been a couple of nifty surprises.

4. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    You think it's worth $7? Have you played Salem Witch Trials?

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have not played Salem Witch Trials, but I will say that for what little time I've had to play games this weekend, I've probably spent most of it playing Houdini. Now is it worth $7? Of course that question is completely subjective, but I'd say I've gotten at least a couple hours worth of play from it so far, which puts it at about the price of a movie ticket, and it's certainly been more enjoyable than all three movies I watched this weekend (of course I watched the movies on Netflix, but I think you get my drift). I don't know what Mumbo Jumbo's policy is for putting games on sale, but if you're looking for something new to play I really think you'll enjoy it.

6. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    #2946 Teagan, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    I loved Salem Witch Trials along with the sequel. I was hoping you had played them in order to get a comparison. :) I'm trying not to be impulsive haha I've been burned so many times due to my impulsive game buying habits lol

I highly recommend playing Salem Witch Trials. :D

Anyone play Detective Jones?

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I haven't played Detective Jones but I was planning on buying it today. As for Houdini, obviously it's your money and I don't want you to feel like you've wasted it, but I really think you'll enjoy the game. I played it some more over lunch today, and if it weren't for the fact that I had to get back to lunch I probably would have stayed in the break area and finished it. Houdini really is a great game.

8. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Sorry if these are repeats, but I don't remember anyone mentioning them:

Curse Of The Pharaoh: Napoleon's Secret HD
    Foreign Dreams

I'm really curious about the second one, but $3.99 for a game from a no-name company didn't sound so appealing. I just now realized they had a free version, though, so I might have to try it out.

Also, @Teagan (and anyone else with an iPad that likes hidden object games) - get Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini. The game is awesome! The more I play the sadder I'm getting that it is eventually going to be over.

11. homerorz

homerorz Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Developer
    New project suggestions

Hi everybody I am the Mystery of Crimson Manor Developer

First, I wanted to thank all those who played my game and to all those people who had supported me in many other ways,this is an amazing community. (if you still haven't played it, ask me for a promo code)

Second, I wanted to ask your opinions and suggestions because I am currrently designing my new adventure game.

For now I want to discuss gameplay details only, name and plot details will be announced later, right now I can only say that it is something unique and fresh.

These are the areas I intend to improve on my next game,

1.- Translation: I will hire a real translator and proofreaders this time.
    2.- Duration: I will make it at least twice longer maybe about 4 to 6 hours
    3.- Difficulty: I will make it a little bit more harder but not sure how hard, i will really aprecciate your feedback in this area.
    4.- Design: I will try to make it less linear this time.
    5.- Extras: i will try to add In-game hints and some effects and animations.

So, what do you think , I want to hear your suggestions about this and any other areas you might think i need to improve.

Thank you.

12. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sounds great (as long as theres a character named Teagan:) ) the in game hints would be helpful along w your other changes. Can't wait!!

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have to confess that I haven't really played since my first report on this forum, so I can't really offer much "wisdom" in comparison, but I would like to address the difficulty issue. I have no problem with difficulty personally, as long as things are logical. I really dislike it when I have to skip puzzles in a game because there's no apparent rhyme or reason to them. I also think a game should be at such a level that while you have hints as a backup, you should rarely need to use them. In the Houdini game I keep touting you can collect a raven in each room to trade in for a hint, and while I've gathered more than 30 of them I've only need to use maybe 2 or 3. That in my opinion is a well balanced game. Of course I did have to skip a mini-game, which I wasn't happy about, but at least I had that option (hint, hint).

14. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I am glad you are planning your next game as Crimson Manor was one of the best. Translation for me isn't really important, as long as the gameplay is solid, but if the translation is very good it will give your game a more polished feel.

A longer game would be excellent. When the puzzles are good I never want it to end

As Eric has said, increasing the difficulty is not a problem as long the puzzles are logical. There have been games that use the iPhone/iPad features to solve puzzles (turning the phone upside down, shaking it etc). This more interactive approach makes you feel you are immersed in the game. I also like it when there is a story and the story unfolds as you progress

In game hints are good because they are there if you need them. If not there is always the Toucharcade forums. Collecting items throughout the game is the best way or earning them in some way

Exploration is a big thing in any game and makes it feel more like real life. I also like feedback from items I touch. It shows that the developer has put a lot of time and thought into the development

Good luck for this and any other games in the future :)

15. Pepper touched on most of the things I would talk about, but I'll mention them anyway.
    I liked that Crimson Manor loaded quickly and smoothly. It made exploration a breeze and it's why I finished that game and didn't finish some others. Please make sure to keep the smooth transitions for the next game.

Perhaps a less clunky name? ;) It's not a biggie, but it just feels like a bit of a mouthful sometimes.

I agree, I love when adventure games make good use of the iPhone controls. Besides DOOORS, take a look at Antrim Escape 1 & 2. Just simple things as being able to shake your phone to shake a box of candies just seemed so awesome to me. Remind people why they would want to play your game on an iDevice versus a PC.

The translation didn't bother me, as I've seen much worse (and I normally get pretty annoyed with poor grammar, etc). I was actually surprised by the negative reviews talking about the translation. It wasn't perfect, but I understood the story and it never interfered with the clues/puzzles. If a translation prevents you from solving a puzzle, *then* it's a big problem.

Other than that, maybe a more unique/creative setting. While I enjoyed Crimson Manor, I kind of felt like I'd seen it before with Grisly Manor. I am a bit of a sucker for graphics, and have made some impulse buys based on screenshots (Lechuza was one of them).

Hope that helps :). Looking forward to your next game!

16. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Cool. I played the original Azada on the PC and really enjoyed it. Instead of being hidden objects or adventure it's basically a series of puzzles.

18. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I am playing it at the moment. I have had it for ages but, suprise surprise, have never got around to playing it. I am trying to make an effort to get all the backlog of games played and now I find out there's a sequel *groan*

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You know, I periodically look at my list and think I should start trying some of the older games I've never played, and then I realize I can't even keep up with the current stuff :) At least I'll never need another game system besides my iOS devices!