How indie developer compete with the "Big Boys" out there?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cyborg5000, Aug 20, 2011.

1. cyborg5000

cyborg5000 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    You have heard time and time again that with the advancement of technology and internet. It level the playing field we had with the big boys. We are now seen on equal grounds and have equal opportunity (if you have great marketing) to compete with them...

But how about us indie developers? We do not have the resources to get great graphics, great soundtrack, 3d animation, big marketing launch... (but i do have a penny or 2 to offer an iPad as my marketing strategy)

The app store is pretty much controlled by the them, how do we, indie developer make it up there? (exception of Tiny Wings)

Guys, share your thoughts here. What are the resources we have in hand that give us an advantage them? =)

2. cyborg5000

Jul 25, 2011
    #2 cyborg5000, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    (Reserved for SUMMARY I get thru this thread)

=))

cyborg5000: Facebook fanpages
    Attollos Technologies: twitter (retweet?)
    Rubicon: stop being indie

3. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    I really like the concept behind innovatty's retweet group on twitter, whilst sure it won't mean we can compete with the big boys, I like the idea that it's all indies uniting and helping each other out. :)

4. cyborg5000

Jul 25, 2011
    Yea Attollos Technologies, i think we should form an network where we help one another to a certain level... I never thought of tweeting =)

5. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    It's great, its not a question of each indie just out for themselves, but using combined amounts of tweeting to reach thousands! You should join, great way to interact directly with people playing your games / apps too! What's your twitter username?

6. cyborg5000

Jul 25, 2011
    No not yet, I do not have a twitter account for Tapstatic, I am however trying to piece together a Facebook fanpage =)

7. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    Shoot me the link and I'll do a tweet shout out :)

8. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#8 blitter, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    ____

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Not sure how you expect to get a successful game without good graphics and sound on top of great gameplay. The best advice I can give you is stop thinking you're an "indie developer" and just be a "developer".

If you can't afford the graphics, try to team up with someone who'll split the back end income with you.

Sound is probably cheaper than you think and if you're serious about this then you can afford it. (Coupla hundred bucks should cover a shitload of decent sound effects and maybe a short music track)

Getting advertising and noticed generally is one thing, but if what they eventually see is sub par then you'll still get no sales. By far and away the best way to compete with the big boys is to have a great experience waiting.

10. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#10 blitter, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    ____

11. I'm looking for good ways to marketing FREE games. I'm on twitter, can you explain more about this and what each person has to do.

Cheers

12. cyborg5000

Jul 25, 2011
    anyone tot of push notification to promote one another? its a 'dirty' advertising method, but hey... it works. Just not overuse it =/

13. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    that's the major problem when you decide to publish yourself the game.

If you don't have the right money, you're engage a war with little guns.
    They are a lot of technic but thoses technics didn't always work.

I believe "indies" or "new developers" MUST join forces with Publisher, good Publisher. (our next polished game will be published)

and never trust PR agency for few hundred dollars

Even if your game is really good, if you're new and unprepared, you will lost lots of motivations to try to reach, websites, good people etc. and trust me, it's very not an easy task.

sometimes only few writers from famous website can give a chance to your game and can jump drastically your apps. I believe the story of "tiny wings" start like this.

14. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    #14 nantas, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    I don't feel like it's that big a problem. If you take a look at what's on the frontpage of touchArcade, you find most of the heavy hitters are made by indie developer (including those successful ones that turn out to be "new big boys"). Despite of being indie, those successful games have extremely high quality and fun gameplay.

I think it has not much to do with how much money you can throw on polygons, skinning animations and markting campaign. Don't you find most of (if not all) so called big boys game are just some soulless duplication of titles on other platform? How do you get any fun out of those games? If you choose your game design carefully you can easily create games with much more fun and still keep the cost low. If you don't get noticed, in most of the case your game is not good enough. Just keep working on it and learn the lesson. You can also find enough information about how to market your game without big amount of money on the interweb. Crying about can't compete with big boys is just a lame excuse.

I'm half indie developer half employee in AAA game industry. Let me tell you something. The AAA game industry is suffering so badly. I can only see 20 studios worldwide have enough talented people (for both employees and directors) to make something real good. All other studios are doing bullshit, struggling to ship their title before deadline, wasting talents due to the poor management. And for all AAA game studio, getting money from publisher is way harder these days thanks to the worldwide economic crisis.

Trust me if you think indie developer's position is bad, "big boys" should suffer so much more because they have to pay high salary to their employees who don't necessarily want to make a great game, but more like they just want to feed their family; because they have to pay so much on the marketing campaign to help selling their soulless boring games.

Sorry for text walling... it almost feels like I'm so not happy about the industry... but I'm actually pretty happy with being at an indie developer's position. Just keep learning keep working keep being creative. The motivation of create something by yourself(or your small team) for yourself rules it all.

15. I think some of this is plenty achievable with an indie budget. While I admit 3D contracting and developers are expensive, musicians and pixels artists are very affordable, imo. Marketing is tough. But word of mouth and a good game can get you enough to recoup your budget if you keep your costs down.

I suppose it just matters what your metric for success is. As long as my little LLC is profitable as a whole and showing some signs of growth, I'm happy. But I admit, I'm not living off it -- yet!

16. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    Whats your twitter username? Basically you retweet other peoples tweets and in return when you make a tweet you want retweeted, other users retweet yours.

Some of these users have thousands of followers and you can reach loads of people :)

Im @attollos_devs if you want to be added to the group or ask @innovatty

:D

17. My twitter name is @stacword.

I have a quick question. How do you know that someone is part of the group and needs a RT if people post at different times of the day?

18. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    You ahve to request a rt in a special format :) ive asked for you to be added to the group :D

19. Cool. So what happens now, do I get a confirmation that I've been added and instructions etc?

20. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    I think your listed? :)