Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    So when you guys go really deep do you just bring tons of ladders and torches? I am really afraid of getting blocked in there, in the dark!

2. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    No, I bring torches and I'm usually already carrying a ton of dirt. If I'm low on torches, I pick them up and move them with me. To get back up, I drop squares of dirt to make stairs.

I mostly worry about running out of pick-axes, so I make sure I have plenty of wood, since you can't find that underground too much.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I take lots of torches (green goo and wood) and some ladders,dirt,pickaxes, a gold hammer and sword. And if I run out of ladders I start to make either stairs out of dirt blocks or dig down in a pattern like in the pic.
    [​IMG]

4. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Is there some trick to getting recipes? I've been playing for about two hours and haven't found any recipes at all. Being very new to this style of game (never having played Minecraft) this is problematic. I have used starter guides to figure out the basics, but having to return to those guides constantly is a nuisance.

I am sure I will learn the recipes over time and need the guide less, but had I not been aware of the guides the game would have been impossible to play (I *was* able to make some compacted dirt, which was entirely unhelpful, before I looked it up).

I'm fairly sure I'd seen others mention the inconsistency of recipe drops, but I hadn't seen anyone say they had never gotten one in two hours of play. I did put it on peaceful to start with so that I didn't have to contend with baddies while learning, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I know there are changes to the craftbook coming in an update, but a craftbook does me little good without recipes to put in it.

Aside from the recipe problem, I have really been enjoying the game. Now that I at least understand how to navigate properly and build a bit and at least can make pickaxes and torches, I've had a lot of fun. The presentation is fantastic.

5. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I nearly lost 50 mithril, 40 gold ores, and quite a bit of silver when my game crashed near the bedrock. It appears that the bedrock is quite vulnerable to crashes; I've encountered a crash twice by poking at it. Also, I think that the game should have some sort of auto-save system. Or at least make it clear whether the pause button is a save button. =)

6. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    @oooooomonkey - thanks - I tend to stay close to the top for fear of getting too lost or running out of stuff, but maybe if I stock up I can venture a little deeper!

7. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks this is good too! I use the dirt a lot so I can bring that too. Ok maybe I am ready to face the darkness now with these tips!

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I must be old school enough that as soon as I saw the "beginner" guide was really "your spoiler guide" I immediately closed the web page without spoiling anything other than having picked up how to make the wood plank.

Yes, things are "punishingly" random and slow paced, but as I find the recipes on my own, man do I feel like vistas are opening up before me.

I guess what I'm saying is there's no trick that I've seen, I just keep plodding along stripping the one world as I go and I've found enough that now I can make ladders, a basic sword, pick axe, torches, etc.., and I'm happy that I'm taking it at its natural pace. I'm still a long way off of doing anything advanced, but that's the excitement: is *this* block I'm tapping on like a lab rat going to be the one that opens up the next advancement, or will it just be another piece of dirt?

9. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I'm down with this, I guess, but having gotten zero recipes and not having much luck just guessing at how to make things, if I didn't use the guide I'd still be chopping trees down with my hands.

10. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I had the same problem,thought it was a bug perhaps and reinstalled it this morning.
    After restarting i found 21! recipes in the 1st 10 minutes.The rest of the day nothing,been playing about 3,5 hours.

11. saladfork

saladfork Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Web Engineer
    I'm completely fascinated by this game but all the tapping is making it a non-starter for me. I've played KRPGs with less button mashing than this. I think removing the tapping would not remove any "fun" either than I can see.

I bought it and I'm impressed, but can't open it again until there is some way to not constantly bang on my screen.

12. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I could probably do the same, but I'd prefer not to. I've been hoardiing supplies for a deep dig, so I'll make do. I have three different worlds created, have farmed extensively in each now, and still haven't found a recipe.

My poor empty crafting book. :-(

13. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    When I created another world to collect wood I found a ton more recipes. Basically every tree I cut down dropped a note. And of course all is saved to same character no matter what world you're in.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I couldn't bring myself to destroy it incase it's important so I buried it deep in the ground under my castle where it's staying for EVER! (my mine is to the left the item in question is straight down)
    [​IMG]

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Notch just mentioned your game on twitter, your game is about to be even more popular ; ) Oh and toucharcade may crash XD
    Congrats!

16. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Notch himself just tweeted about this thread :D

17. Kn1nJa

Kn1nJa New Member

Nov 10, 2011
  18. atum_ramirez

atum_ramirez Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    game designer
    There minecraftish games are killing in the Appstore, and who can blame them. It's such an addictive and engaging fantasy. Getting this right now to quench my thirst for some real iOS minecraft :) - hurry up notch

19. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    I really hope they update the crash bug soon, as I've been playing Terraria still, and playing a game like it on the go sounds awesome! I'll be checking the updates on the app store hourly. :D

20. iEatYoChicken

iEatYoChicken Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Same here, I hope the new version comes out REALLY soon! :D