What games have Incredible visuals but bad gameplay and/or story

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrgooseman17, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mrgooseman17

mrgooseman17 Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Just wondering if there are any games that are visually excellent, but doesn't get much deeper than that.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Infinity blade imho

3. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Eternal Legacy & Infinity Blade IMHO too

4. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #4 Simon Potticary, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    For me, Shadow Guardian is the biggest and best example of "graphics maketh not the game".

Regarding Infinity Blade, although I personally do like the game, and am generally a big fan of it's unique style of intuitive combat, I must concur that the remainder of the gameplay does not live up to the super-high standards set by it's incredible visuals.

Other gameplay letdowns would have to include:

• Gangstar 2: Miami Vindication
    • Twin Blades
    • Madden NFL 11 (I'm probably in a minority on this one!)

Each to his own though.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol I personally thought that G2 and Twin Blades had horrific graphics. Also, Madden 2011 plays better than any other football game on the iOS.

To each his own* you mean.

Infinity Blade provided everything Chair had promised..so I'm not sure what there's to he disappointed about with the gameplay.

6. PwNaGeDaN

PwNaGeDaN Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I believe 'Epic Citadel' would apply here as it is graphically stunning but doesn't have much gameplay (except for moving around) and no story.

7. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm pretty sure Epic Citidal will be turned into a real game eventually. Right now, it's merely a tech demo.

Regarding Infinity Blade, I think one of the biggest reasons it gets such dislike are the ridiculously high expectations. Even though it's rather short and can be repetitive, it has really deep gameplay, and it's getting new content regularly. In the long run, I think it will be worth every penny, especially when multiplayer is introduced.

The game has an incredible atmosphere that has the potential to create a truly epic saga. I hope they're working on a sequel with a fully fledged storyline.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    They specifically said it was a tech demo and not a game lol..

9. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    +1 Excellent.

I've never hated iOs games more than FN:Champion (Legacy Mode) and Eternal Legacy.

Infinity Blade is a great example of "Pretty but Boring".
    Aralon is a FANTASTIC example of it, (in my opinion).
    Shadow Guardian comes close, but still has some "decent" gameplay.

@ PwNaGeDaN: "Epic Citadel"was a company demo showing that the Unreal
    Engine CAN be used on iOs. It's supposed to be beyond pretty without game
    content.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just another hate thread filled with the usual complainers who've made nearly identical posts elsewhere..sigh.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

+1!

So, another glass of whine, anyone?

12. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm sure it's easier to flame people discussing Games in the Games Discussion
    area than to actually contribute something useful or intelligent, well done!

13. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Who is this joker? Some people actually use the Touch Arcade threads to actually talk about games - both the good AND the bad. Or am I mistaken here?

If you have nothing better to do than sledge people for making their opinions, then you're in the wrong place and have no business clogging up the TA forums with mindless, pointless and brainless comments.

See ya!

14. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

My problem with it just filling my life with that negativity. If I don't like something then I may post once about it but usually I just stop playing and let it go. Why be hung up over something you don't like. You could play other games you enjoy.

15. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    You get this same stuff on the boards where musicians (or, to be honest, wannbee musicians) hang out. "Name the most overrated guitarist," "Five bands you hate," "Bands you hate that everybody else likes..." I see these same topics come up over and over and over again, and every guy who posts them A) think they're original and B) gets their nose out of joint when you tell them you're sick of seeing them.

You know why you don't se more threads with titles like "Most tasteful guitar player" or "strategies for improvising over 'rhythm' change?" Because it takes actual thought to do that. Anybody can spit nails about who they think got famous and doesn't deserve it: it takes some brains to discuss the positive aspects of music.

Or game design.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #16 backtothis, Mar 7, 2011
    Go to hell.

Thanks for contributing a post exactly fitting your description. This thread will be shut down soon enough so just think what you want for now.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Excellent post sir.

18. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #18 Simon Potticary, Mar 7, 2011
    You do make an excellent point! Duly noted. All I did was defend Infinity Blade and state that Shadow Guardian's gameplay didn't live up to it's great graphics. No more, no less.

I love iOS games, and I ALWAYS shout about the great ones, as well as the merely good, just see my posts on Rage HD, Infinity Blade, Dungeon Defenders, Bug Heroes, PES 10 etc, etc.

I've obviously unwittingly committed a cardinal sin and if I've caused offence to anyone (incl developers) then I unreservedly apologise.

Peace out.

19. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Infinity Blade! The super-short, never-ending story is sort of empty.

N.O.V.A.'s story was pretty stupid, as with most Gameloft games.

20. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Your post makes sense, but I disagree in this particular case because the threads in this forum are generally overwhelmingly positive or neutral (not talking about the individual posts.)

Sometimes people just want to discuss something negative, and as long as it pertains to the forum, I don't see why they should be criticized for doing so.