Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remo

Remo New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Hi all. The tokens, in My opinion looks full. The figure with the shadow is more like standard boardgame pieces. Maybe you could use the same perspective and just use the shadow to give perspective?

2. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

Interesting idea: you mean keep it top-down and show the dimension and detail of the mover with the shadow? Could work, if you look at Alive4Ever (for example) there are a variety of characters and it's pretty clear who you're playing as. Drawing the character probably won't work with the style of the game, we may have to actually sculpt them for it to look right.

I think we're leaning toward the simplicity of the 'token' (at least to start) but we're going to experiment with creating a 'pewter' figurine and maybe a relief coin/token and show of the results here, stay tuned!

3. gildedskull

A little 'gift' for those following this thread. Here are some really large desktop wallpapers that feature some of the game key-art we've been working on. We've distributed smaller versions via Twitter but this is a first look at some of the species in detail. Enjoy!

Click on the 'small' images below to go to the larger (1680x1050) versions.

[​IMG]
    A Human Time Master vs. A Pakall Warrior

[​IMG]
    A Robot Hunter vs. A Reouge Warrior​

Let us know if there are combo's of species you'd like to see.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Awesome artwork!

I want to see more of this lady here:

[​IMG]

5. gildedskull

So, yes. Here's a PG version of 'Larine Brane' vs. a Balthwot. Click it to go to the 1680x1050 version. We're going to do a bit more research and talk to a few people before taking some of the characters in a more 'Heavy Metal' direction.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

She may be a main character in one of the stories (unlockable). Originally we had her as a 'Coalition' but that may change.

[​IMG]

(The card art is an earlier drawing of her, but I like it better. Note that she is dead in the card art...)

6. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #126 sconethief, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Galactic keep looks awesome! can't wait for it!
    How many pictures of the imps and oafs are there? A Large number I hope!

7. gildedskull

Right now there are (roughly) 60 or so, a few more than that. We're going to update periodically, adding more. We're also thinking of adding another 'special guest' into the mix with an update.

8. gildedskull

#128 gildedskull, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    As we continue to develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles we'll post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game here, in this thread. Here's another of the playable species found in the game. The Pakall species was the first we created at the genesis of the idea of the game. The first painting I created for the game was of a Pakall. Here's a little more info on them:

MEET THE PAKALL

[​IMG]

The first human to observe a Pakall described it as resembling a combination of animals that could include a buffalo, a bear and an octopus. Almost twice the size of a human, these daunting and intimidating creatures are as agile and elegant as they are physically powerful.

Many Pakall have focused on the study of time travel and time science but few have managed to advance it in a very meaningful way. Many of their species have, however, become adept at using time-altering technology and are known to be somewhat caviler when using it.

Humans have become very close to the Pakall. The planet considered the new human home-world, Aarath, shares a solar system with Torlern, the planet with the largest Pakall population outside of their home-world.

Their trade, security and land pacts with the humans intertwine the two races in codependence. The Pakall were the first race to discover the humans in this galaxy and may have been the first to have seen humanity on Earth, with the help of a now almost mythical piece of technology, several hundred years ago.

The Pakall will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' for iPhone.

9. gildedskull

As with the 'Pakall' description above, here's another description of one of the playable species found in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' with some new information about them. Enjoy!

MEET THE ORTHODON

[​IMG]

Physically, the orthodon body is an amorphous bundle of gelatinous organs and tensile tissues connected to a bony, armored body-core that has five or more flowing external ‘appendages’. Orthodon appendages are malleable and have the ability to change shape somewhat and to ‘flex’, becoming more solid.

As a species, the orthodon are the furthest along in the known universe in their study of time travel and related time science. They keep their technology very close to the vest and do anything in their power to keep their technology or information on their study of time science out of the hands of other species.

It seems that their advanced knowledge of time science has given them an advantage in all aspects of their culture. Many think it has also helped them gain high ranking within the ‘United Coalition of Bodies’, a governing organization used to maintain a semblance of order in the galaxy. Slightly less than half of the governing board are orthodon, a figure that they hope to revise in the coming election scheduled to take place in about a months time.

It is thought by most orthodon that being part of (and helping to advance the directives of) the Coalition is the most valuable contribution they can give to their people. Many divisions and fleets within the Coalition are comprised wholly of orthodon. It could seem that they are passively attempting to take over the galaxy by filling out the ranks of the Coalition completely! Luckily, the orthodon are a very peaceful and seemingly docile species.

Since contact with other species, the orthodon have reconstructed their language to work on multiple levels. It has a discernable and intelligible ‘core text’ that can be easily interpreted by other species and a very abstract ‘subtext’ that is very difficult for species other than the orthodon themselves to understand. It is thought by some, because of this, that they are telepathic but that is not the case.

The Orthodon will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' for iPhone.

10. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Wow. I cant stress enough how much I love the art style. You seem to be putting quite a bit of work into every peice. Keep it up man, Im starting to get anxious :D

11. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    when is this due agian?

12. gildedskull

We're a pretty small team, and there's lots to do. We're slated to finish and submit (the initial core) of the game in the first part of 2010.

We're going to start beta testing it well before then, so PM me with your info if you're interested in getting a look at the game early and helping beta test before the release.

13. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    this will be my first beta =)

14. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    So gildedskull confirmed you?

15. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    That would be fine. Like I said, it's going to be a little while but we'll set you up as a tester now and let you know when we're ready.

Send along you UDID and the model/type of device you would be testing on.

thanks!
    Rob
    ______

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I've been beta testing Imp or Oaf and if they bring the same level of art and polish to Galactic Keep, it will definitely be awesome!

17. Mikebot

Mikebot New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I signed up just to say that Imp or Oaf and Galactic Keep are two of my most anticipated games for the iPod Touch. Absolutely love the art style, I'd buy them just for that! I've sent my details off to be a beta tester too, hope I get picked!

18. BatOutofEarth

BatOutofEarth Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    I want to beta test this too!

19. gildedskull

As we continue to develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles we'll post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game here, in this thread. Here's another of the playable species found in the game.

The Gharsos were the second species that we considered (the Pakall were the first) when designing the game. We thought it would be interesting to play an RPG with a ghostly character that was a little more 'amorphus' and mysterious. We are considering giving the species the unique ability to unlock most (if not all) doors while on a map. Keys? Who needs keys when your an ephemeral cluster of spectral cells?

MEET THE GHARSOS

[​IMG]

A ghost-like being that consists of a series of millions of individual sentient particles held together in a smoke-like cloud. Each cloud-colony acts as an individually sentient ‘hive mind’. It is said that there have been Gharsos colonies that exceed four hundred years in age.

The particles of their bodies can wrap solid objects and lift them into their cloud. When working together, colonies can lift tremendous weight for their comparative size.

Soon after contact with other sentient species, the Gharsos began to adapt their clouds to resemble the other species using objects and relics. They can have a very dark and sometimes appalling appearance, favoring skulls and body parts as adornments to their clouds along with the apparel from a variety of species and creatures. These items help to give them ‘form’ and to communicate with other species in a more comfortable and familiar way (in most cases).

Many do not consider them a sentient species...but many have not actually met a Gharsos. They have, however, proven themselves ‘civilized’ in the eyes of the Coalition. Indeed, they have what they consider (and have proven to the Coalition) a ‘home-world’ in the planet Etsonsos, a gas giant, which houses their senate, capitol city and several billion distinct ‘colony-clouds’ floating several miles above the planet core.

The Gharsos will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' for iPhone.

20. gildedskull

#140 gildedskull, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    As we continue to develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles we'll post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game here, in this thread. Here's another of the playable species found in the game.

In the game, we wanted to have humans as the core plot-driver but we didn't want to have a 'future earth' or some sort of cataclysmic event or 'alien first contact' that brought earth into the fray. We wanted the action to happen unknown and at a distance from the 'true' home of the humans. That said, we opted for the set-up below.

RE-MEET THE HUMANS

[​IMG]

Almost five hundred years ago, mass numbers of humans were mysteriously transported from Earth and deposited into scientific facilities and factories on a ‘colony’ planet light years away by a very advanced race of beings.

As the story is told, the humans rallied and revolted against their captors, escaped their penal complexes and soon took control of several key military institutions on the detention planet. Over the course of the next several years, they had gained a foothold against their captors for domination of the planet.

Their mysterious captors eventually abandoned the planet to the humans, but this was a somewhat hollow victory. The planet they had fought so hard for was in ruins, a destroyed husk. It wasn't long before human leaders had sorted through the scant technology left to them and discovered that they were very far away from their home. In fact, they were in another galaxy altogether that was possibly millions of light years away from Earth.

Three hundred years later, after several generations of humans have lived in this new galaxy, they have integrated themselves well into the space-faring culture that had been forced upon them.

Humans have spread out across a handful of planets in the galaxy but most have clustered onto a new home world: Aarath, the second Earth. They have built alliances with many races and have also developed several neighboring enemies.

Many humans, with the help of their allies, have attempted to track the species and technology that brought them to this galaxy but the trail inevitably ends in mystery. It is known, however, that another species appeared in a system neighboring Aarath as recent as thirty years before the arrival of the humans.

There is also the mystery of the abundance of ‘future’ human artifacts that have appeared since their arrival, no doubt transported to this galaxy by similar technology to that used by the race of beings that ferried the humans here in the first place.

The Humans will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' for iPhone.

Please, take a second and VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER out of the four we’ve selected (created by toucharcade.com users!) to appear as a playable character in the game!