Universal Battleheart (by Mika Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Feb 1, 2011.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Does the game fast save or launch and resume quickly? Mika Mobile games are great for quick play but I need to be able jump out and back to answer texts, phone calls, emails etc. (I know, duh).

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I want to try farming arena for gear, but I know if I hit 100+ and then the game crashed, I'd be livid. So instead I'm just leveling other characters for now. :(

3. J.Leson

J.Leson Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I know that a monk can be a great tank substitute, but how about a berserker? I'm not high enough to know what other spells it has beyond level 10. I've stacked two rapid health regen rings, and so far it's going ok on the first map.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm giving bard, berserker, mage, and rogue a try!

4. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    With the exception of the sole (and, uh, pretty major) blemish of the crash bug Battleheart is about as polished and "finetuned" for a new release as I've ever seen so I can't help but think that this whole crash issue had to have come as a major shock to the developers. Nothing else about the game feels rushed to me so can't help but think that if they had known about it beforehand they would have gotten it resolved before release.

I'm hoping that sales and feedback will be still be positive enough to warrant adding additional features in the future such as multiplayer (coop and pvp would be awesome) along with a "real" RPG campaign with quests, story, etc. Or have them in a sequel even ;)

5. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    A unique arena would be where like you can only use two or three guys. That would be pretty interesting. Also what exactly does a bard do?

6. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    #506 Andiron, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    And that is why this game continues to amaze and entertain me. More than 6 hours in for me and the depth, replayability, and strategy of decent RPGs are all there but without any one particular strategy so far appearing to be dominant (well, except that some kind of healing really is almost required).

The decision making in the game is just great too - it goes not only for what characters to put into the party (like do I build my party to go for the quick kill (all DPS + healer) to kill the mobs before they can kill me or do I go for a more traditional tank + 2xDPS + healer setup? Both ways have advantages and disadvantages. And that's just two setups out of several possible combinations. And then there are other possible setups to use for the character's equipment and skills, etc. I like how each character's skills build on their other skills but also build onto the skills of the other party members.

That's the kind of deep decision making I like in games and there isn't too much "twitch" gameplay with the touch controls. The battles have "just enough" of everything to me - there's just enough confusion, there's just enough tension, there's just enough difficulty, etc. It knows where the line is for too much or too little and even though I sometimes get my ass kicked I'm glad I do because I've found that even too many console or PC RPGs over the years haven't achieved that same level where difficulty is "just right".

Anyway - I've already posted several times in this thread about just how much I am enjoying this game.

7. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    #507 Andiron, Feb 3, 2011
    My understanding is that the bard's main ability is that you have him target another party member who then gets the bard's "attack" value added to the target's attack and defense. I've been able to tank quite well with even a rogue if buffed by the bard. EDIT: Let me rephrase - although buffing the rogue with the bard obviously doesn't keep damage off the rogue nearly as much as having a cleric/knight combo, I've found that the a bard/rogue combo can still be a very capable combo as the rogue's swift killing abilities can takedown its targets much faster than the knight can so the rogue can often kill the monster(s) before taking too much damage in return.

The bard also has other spells like various healing spells, etc. He is basically used to buff/boost the other party members and can even be used as a backup healer - or even a main healer if using the right set of skills.

8. Deamon34

Deamon34 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Just downloaded and played for 2 hours. Fantastic game for the iPad! Love the graphics, gameplay, sound effects it's sweet. For those who are on the fence, buy it now!!!!

9. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm really glad to see folks experimenting with different party combos. I definitely had a lot of fun trying out things like a "tankless" group, or even foregoing a healer, and trying to get by solely on life-draining gear and a witch's life drain. Obviously its harder, and you generally need to be a bit higher level to pull it off, but an unconventional party combo can be quite satisfying when it works, and potentially devastating if you're really on-the-ball with offensive cooldowns. Personally, my favorite moments when playing are when I have a squishy character like a witch or wizard pretty much single-handedly manhandle a powerful enemy by frogging/conflagrating/timestopping/etc.

The bard does, in fact, grant his power stat to both the attack and defense of whoever he targets, and at higher levels gets some passive bonuses that modify his "auto-attack" even further. He essentially heals through prevention, rather than reaction, by granting his target what amounts to an extra couple of dozen levels worth of stats. I plan to make this mechanic more transparent in a future update, since its a bit "under the hood" at the moment.

10. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm glad to hear about the fix coming so soon and your ideas for future updates. Nice to know the dev is listening and has more ideas for an already awesome game.

11. J.Leson

J.Leson Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I'm really enjoying this aspect of the game as well. I went with a standard Tank, dps x2, healer build the first time through. I'm not using a rogue as a "tank" and a bard as the healer, and I'm having more fun than ever. The game play is really deep.

I would love to see a character get additional dps / better chances at high level gear if it completes a level by itself. I think different gameplay types would really extend the longevity of this amazing game.

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Does the witch's drain life spell heal the person with the lowest life by percentage, or just lowest life? For example, if one guy is 100/100 and another is 150/200, which does it heal? I remember reading someone else saying they thought it'd heal the 100/100 person and it feels that way to me, but it's sometimes hard to see what's going on exactly. If that is true, I think it should be changed to the character with the lowest life percentage-wise.

13. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Lowest life and not percentage I believe.

14. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Help.

Why does my third spell not show up in the battle after I equip it in the academy? What am I missing? Anyone else have this ?

15. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Spells marked as (Passive) are always 'on'. You don't use them.

16. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yea, it does. It's usually not an issue unless there's a large level disparity between party members, cus your max health doesn't really change much, but well fix it to be percent based in the next update.

17. amigoni

amigoni Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Italy
    Ok I am going to try this one

I think I am going to try this one. The only RPG I ever liked was FF7. All the ones I tried after that, didn't really suck me in just like that one. Sounds like this one is fun though.

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #518 ArtNJ, Feb 3, 2011
    So far I'm basically only leveling four characters, but even with these 4, there are so many choices and ways to play that figuring out the best strategies with them will be fun long after I'm level 30. A few random questions:

(1) Why do people insist on calling the wizard a mage?

(2) Power-leveling tips for secondary characters? I'm thinking I'll wait till my main toons are level 30 and find the highest level map we can just pawn.

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    After playing a LOT more than I thought, I would like to add my (positive) opinion on the difficulty progression.
    Things got really interesting on the second map, at least for myself...I started dying and forced to refine strategies/check abilities better.

Am I correct that characters who die during the battle do not acquire any XP?
    Are there any disvantages to have them then ressurected in the keep?

Aaaand...last question.
    Sometimes one of my character get 'thrown' out of the screen...and he returns after a while...is this a feature/monster ability or a bug?
    I'm in doubt because when it does do so and it re-enters the stage near an enemy, he's stuck in the screen corner (fighting) where I cannot select it.

Great game, really....animations are really wonderful and I can't help but smiling at them.

20. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Heh, you haven't witnessed the power of the Bard. My current party is Black Knight, Witch, Sorceress and the Bard, and once the first three are level 20 at least, I'll go for the boss. I think it's doable :)