in defense of the muffin knight

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by playpunk, Jan 5, 2012.

1. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    #1 playpunk, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    hi everyone,

this is my first post and i imagine its gonna spark a little controversy but i had to get this off of my chest.

ive been lurking here for the better part of two years and so, ive been reading a lot of you for some time now and i just wanted to say a few words in defense of the muffin knight game, which im sure everyone here knows that it owes its parentage to super crate box, a game that just came out tonite for ios.

after having spent the last hour playing it (scb), ive come to a few conclusions and wanted to ask the site adminstrators what their beef is with angry mob games? i mean, yes, muffin knight makes no secret of where it got its idea from, but since its original inception, i think it has travelled miles past where its roots come from.....consider the following:

1) since its initial release, it has added a host of new characters and new playfields, including new ways of playing (climb the beanstalk) and new weaponry that is completely original

2) its implemented one hell of a online multiplayer game that puts almost all others of its ilk to shame. granted that it needs a few tweaks to get some serious bugs out but hey...if you've played it online, you cant deny how fun it is. i saw where vambleer said they had no intention of adding an online multiplayer feature, maybe becasue that would make it too simiar to MK?

3) it has continued to supply new user content and updates that also far out do most every other game out there, id say on an equal par to jetpack joyride at least with no additional cost to its users.

4) it has a system of perks that can be unlocked that i didnt see in super crate box, making that an original idea to the game format too.

all of the above and yet this site continues to snub its nose at it. when the christmas update came out (two! new playfields and another new character) i fully expected to see an article about the generous addtional content here, after all, almost every other game that released an update before christmas got blabbed about, but there was complete silence....

and all i hear as far as a reason is because it ripped off super crate box...
    is this the same as vector tanks ripped off atari? you've been posting about the tragedy of that happening yet is it as different from the atari game that it pays homage to as muffin knight is to super crate box?

that is why i have come to the conclusion in my mind at least that there is some personal vendetta against angry mob games and why they have received no love on this site. even to the point that the administrators feel it necessary to implement a ban in the super crate box thread of "no mention of the muffin knight here"....is the game really such a threat? i dont get it.

anyway, look forward to your replies. thanks for listening.

2. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    They are not alone, unfortunately.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I don't know anything about the history of the developer, but I do agree that Muffin Knight has improved by leaps and bounds since it first came out. I'd go as far as saying that it's superior to the SCB at the moment. There's just so much more content, an amazing online multiplayer mode, and perfect controls.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We don't have a beef with Angry Mob Games. The moderators likely asked people to stop with all the Muffin Knight stuff in the Super Crate Box thread because it wasn't contributing to anything other than creating a fanboy pissing match.

Hope this helps!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I believe that MK got a decent review from TA, and to be fair not all big updates (or games...cough-cough Crazy Hedgy...) get covered on the front page.

I went back to MK after spending a fair amount of with SCB today and they really feel like two different games with similar mechanics. There is obviously a lot of animosity towards Angry Mob coming from SCB fans, but I wouldn't confuse that with an official stance from TA).

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I've also never heard of Super Crate Box before Muffin Knight. I don't really care about "clones" of games as long as I'm having fun. I really like Muffin Knight and all the updates Angry Mob Games keeps bringing. My only complaint about Muffin Knight is that it doesn't run completely smooth (at least on my ipod touch)

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Searching the frontpage articles with "muffin knight," "muffin," or "knight" doesn't yield any results leading to a TA review of Muffin Knight. I'm guessing TA didn't feel like the game warranted a review, or the search function just isn't working too well.

In a post on freebies, TA did say this though:

"There's no real way to avoid the fact that Muffin Knight is a heavily inspired take on Vlambeer's Super Crate Box (which is coming to iOS incredibly soon, in case you didn't know), but in light of that fact it's also an extremely well done riff on that formula. With tons of different characters to play and attacks to upgrade, Muffin Knight offers a lot in terms of single player content. But, a recent update added head-to-head online multiplayer, giving the game even more replay value. If you for some reason can't wait for the official Super Crate Box, then Muffin Knight is a close facsimile that you can grab right now for free."

which is overwhelmingly positive. Case closed I think.

8. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Cool, thanks for the replies. On a side note, I'm enjoying scb, but I don't think I've gotten more than 13 crates so far ;)

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Muffin Knight never received a review or a proper preview, despite numerous people bringing it to their attention, and despite the pedigree of the developer and the following the game has. It's annoyed me for months on this site.

10. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I read a post by hodapp that said they only review games that are fun to them or ones which they think will be fun. So I guess MK never fell into either category but SCB did. (probably has something to do with the pixels :rolleyes:)

11. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Considering the amount of games that come out for ios, reviewing every game or even all the fun ones isn't realistic without a huge staff, it prob just slipped through the cracks

12. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I haven't played Super Crate Box yet (mac version will not work on my snow leopard imac) but I agree about "clones".

Game will always borrow mechanics from something else. (ie tiny wings from a pixel art "surf" type game).

It's probably getting a ton of hate simply because the developers already got another one of their mechanics used. (radical fishing)

Muffin Knight is an amazing game, and definitely deserves a TA review.

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #13 arta, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    Impossible. It has an big release and upcoming thread, was GOTW in Europe, has gotten great scores from everyone, and is made by a developer that has had all their other games reviewed generously by TA. Plus you can't ignore a game which plays similarly to another game you've been hyping for months on end. It's practically out of spite now.
    Wow, that's completely crazy. Batshit insane even.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    One subtle thing about MK I have not seen mentioned that I really appreciate is how when the character shifts (analogous to a new weapon in SCB), the game plays a audio snippet announcing the character. Perhaps if SCB did that I would not be victimized by the disc gun so often in the chaos. Just one example of how polished and thought out MK is...

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    If it has to do with the fun factor then I can see why they might have not reviewed it because IMO MK was extremely dull when it came to gameplay. However, if they are reviewing games based on what might appeal to the general audience then maybe MK deserved a proper review.

16. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    SCB has some weird cult status. I feel that's probably it's main appeal to a lot of people. Muffin Knight is just seen as any other game