Puzzled by AppStore search terms

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rikschennink, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    I tried to find my app in the appstore using one of it's keywords "asteroids", it is not in the title but it is returning in the description multiple times.

My game Eve of Impact only appears around position 70 in the list (I'm in The Netherlands but I'm not sure if this matters). Okay no problem so far there could be a lot of other apps concerned with asteroids. When I take a look at some of the apps preceding my app I get rather confused, theres an app about books totally unrelated but also a lot of apps that have no reference to asteroids in their title and description at all..?

Am I missing something that can help me get my app higher in the list?

2. TouchDeveloper

TouchDeveloper Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    1. The words in the title have the most direct influence on search returns if not the only meaningful influence. The position of the word in the title also has an impact. Unfortunately, you have used such common terms in your title that it is pretty much useless. If you think people would look for it by Asteroids as the main key word then you should rename it in your next update as Asteroids Game - The eve of impact or something like that. Or replace the "eve of impact" with a jumble of all the keywords you want to make some meaningful name. People who use cute names for their apps that people will never search on better have other marketing efforts than the search.

2. The search treats plurals as different words from singular. So you have to figure out whether people are likely to search for asteroid or asteroids. If you have two apps (say one is free and the other paid), name one with asteroid and the other with asteroids.

3. The search ranking is based on a mysterious formula that is basically an euphemism for "it is completely broken". It is optimized and manipulated by app developers to the point that the only way to stay near the top of the search list is to find a mole inside Apple :)

4. The number of downloads, the revenue you are generating, how many friends you have inside Apple, your app rating, how many times people click on your app when they do a search and find it, how long you have been in the AppStore all play some part in the search ranking. In other words, none of them by themselves guarantee a search ranking. If you generate thousands and thousands of downloads and do so consistently for year or two, then you will get "stuck" at the top of that search list and will remain there even if you abandon the app and go away. Otherwise, you will find every other type of app before yours in the search ranking. Most people don't look beyond the first screen or two of search results, so that is all that matters.

4. Hopefully, when they integrate Chump, the company they acquired, all this will change.

3. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Wow great tips! Thanks, might be looking into that name change, or maybe wait a little while and see if they alter the algorithm.. Some great food for thought!

4. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Yes, i have the same issue with the Chinese AppStore, some ebook keeps popping up in the search results even though it's not very related to the keywords. I wonder why.

5. cotton julius

cotton julius Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Learnt a lot. But there is a word "Chump" you mistakenly spelled. It is Chomp.