iPhone Labyrinth 2 HD - by Illusion Labs (v1.4 iPad2 anti-aliasing support)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I had a quick look at it yesterday, and it plays well with the sensitivity upped by around 50-80%. So we'll probably do an update with a setting (low/normal or normal/high).

I'll just have to finish edit the TGHD gameplay trailer today first, then I'll get right to it.

2. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Can you make your own levels right form the ipad? or do you make them on the computer?

3. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    You do them on the computer.

The iPod's screen is too small, but it would probably work on the iPad. We tried to get it running on the iPad, but Apple's javascript implementation is not fully compliant with the standards, so we couldn't get it to run, unfortunately.

4. antispin

antispin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Editor, tech and gaming websites
    This is an awesome game. I have only played a few tables but have enjoyed them all. This + TanZen = <3 <3

5. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Finally bought this awesome game.

I hadn't bought it as I felt the price was a little high, but I don't know why I felt this way as it has more replay value than any similar priced Gameloft or EA 'big' titles IMO.

In any case, I dug through some old emails, and it's pretty much exactly what I paid for the jailbreak only Labyrinth version for the original iPhone back in 2007! So more than fair pricing really. I think this might have been the first paid iPhone game. This was a good 7 months before the AppStore existed.

Funny reading through old emails, I suggested this to Carl:

"One feature that might be good to add later is a waypoints, or check points. The ability for a level maker to set progress areas that have to be completed in order before the finish. Not to be uses too much or in every level, but would mean that you could have the end right next to the start, then a check point hidden in the centre of a maze for example; to make someone go through it and back before finishing.
    Just a thought. :)"

It's progressed heaps since then :)

Anyway, if you don't have this game, by all means play with the Lite, but you must buy it. Labyrinth 2 HD is a great iPad show off game even for those who've seen the iPhone version. The level design and screen size available makes it a totally new experience, sound is top notch. (eg the buzzing gets louder when the ball is near the trip lasers)

Anyway, enough rambling... off to play :)

6. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Could you possibly add an in-game editor in the next update? I barely use my mac, and hate the point and click editor! Amazing game though, if you havent got it yet, buy it.

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I would love to see an in game editor as well. If the iPad version offered this I would pick it up. I love the iphone version.

8. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    Glad to hear you like it! And thanks for mentioning sound, makes me extra happy ;)

9. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Does the iPad version still force you to do the levels in a level pack in order? If you get stuck on one level, can you just move on to the next one? Or do you just have to keep replaying it or quit that pack?

That was one thing that always bugged me about the iPhone version.

10. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    Some reasons we don't have an editor:

a) It took ages to do, about 5 months, so redoing it is unfortunately not an option

b) We tried to put the editor in a web view, which would work just fine, in theory. Problem is that Mobile Safari isn't fully Javascript supported so drag-n-drop doesn't work :/ So if Apple decides to fix their Javascript implementation, we will most likely add it.

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    This has been discussed back and forth several times, and both options have their pros and cons.

Some people, me included, feel that if you can skip levels it is just like cheating. Some (like you, but tons of others too) just want a pick up and play whichever level they want. So yes, you could just ignore to skip levels, but usually the temptation is too big so you'll end up doing it anyway.

Also, I think it's sad that games are so easy nowadays, there is rarely a challenge. And when you do complete a hard level you have been stuck on ages, there is a great feel of satisfaction.

Like I said, it's been discussed before (in the non-HD thread), and most people seem to prefer that you can't skip levels (which you rarely can in any other game for that matter).

Just trying to explain the reasoning behind the design ;)

12. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I imagine that this has been suggested by others, but perhaps you could do something like not allow people to upload scores to the global leaderboard if they have skipped any levels in that pack. That way there is some advantage to "not cheating", but casual users can still enjoy the game. Not its like you are punishing the casual players because the serious players don't have enough self control.

For what its worth, this behavior was what got me to quick playing the iPhone version, and it is what will keep me from buying the iPad version.

On the iPhone, I was pushing myself to try harder level packs, and after a while it was just frustrating to see all those level packs where I had stopped part way through. Had I had been able to continue on and do more levels, I would instead have had a bunch of packs with one or two undone and would have eventually gone back to continue trying and finish off the last few.

Regards, Michael

13. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    Thanks for your feedback, we take all feedback into account. Btw, on the iPad there is a sensitivity setting (same as iPhone, or less sensitive).

(We accidentally made it too insensitive, so we added an option to increase the sensitivity, i.e. to normal).

14. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    What's New in Version 1.3.1

15. Cloysterpete

Cloysterpete New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Where can we go to get help with a level?, I downloaded a game pack by Zack and it's devilish, I can get anywhere on the screen but can't even see where I have to get to, he's made it so every hole you fall into puts you in a loopcyou can't get out of, which would be ok if I had any clue where I'm trying to get to. :D

16. Sh0k

Sh0k Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    There is a new update today that adds full screen anti-aliasing for iPad 2 users and performance improvements for all models.

Anyone tried it yet?

17. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Hi Sh0k, yeah I bought the game. I don't know why I waited so long but I just got my new ipad (#2) and seeing they added AA went for it. Looks great actually no regrets worth picking it up IMO it is a top game.

18. jack000

jack000 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Maybe anyone can help me..
    Downloaded the Level Polynomial2 made by joxephw12 but can't get past level 1 because i don't know the code? anyone remembers what it was?

19. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Hey guys, its 2017, plz make the game Universal. I will buy it in no time and probably others too, since it's one of the best if not the best of its kind. Thx!

20. ctrlaltdel

ctrlaltdel Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Dubai
    Yes, please!