Best beginners tower defense game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dazzlemi, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Im looking for the best ipad / ipod touch . iphone tower defense game for beginners.

I did just buy The Creeps (iPad - on sale), and have had it for my ipod for a while (just never played it).

I'm looking for something that will be easy for me to get into, and then when I've gotten the flow of it all I can move on to others.

Any suggestions ?

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Yes. Definately one of these three games:

for predefined path games:

Defender Chronicles
    geoDefense
    Monster Feed

and for open field games:

Towers in Space!
    geoDefense swarm
    Field Runners

Although Towers in Space is a mix of both categories and also ultra-funny.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've just downloaded The Creeps HD (from the sale too), I've just played the first level but from that level I think it would be a good beginner TD - it's straightforward, the towers are introduced a few at a time rather than you having to choose between them all in the first level, and it doesn't appear to have any complicated things like characters and weapons you fire yourself, it just has towers.

Sentinel 3 is also a good beginners TD, it has a good tutorial (so I assume Sentinel 1 and 2 are the same) and there is plenty of opportunity to replay levels to unlock things, if you can't do the harder levels right away.

If you have a PC (no idea if it's available for Mac) Defense Grid: The Awakening is the best TD I've played. I'd love to find one that is as good for iPad, but have had no luck yet.

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Plants vs Zombies is awesome and a good change up from the typical tower defense genre with a nice sense of humor. I've poured hours into the pc version

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That's not Tower Defense, that's the Castle Defense genre... ;)

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You already picked the easiest and best beginner's TD game with The Creeps. Dont think there could be any better choice here.

7. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks, everyone for the suggestions !

8. flyingturtle

flyingturtle Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    #8 flyingturtle, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    You picked a good one, Creeps. It's a good one to start with. I'm a big TD fan and own lots of TD/CD games and I still play Creeps a lot. It's just well done for both beginners and veterans, and I think thats the key to it's success is that it's easy to pick up but has enough strategy so it stays interesting. I have it on both my iPhone and iPad.

And like someone else said, be sure to pickup Plants Vs Zombies (which as someone as clarified is a Castle Defense game, but it's a must-buy in my opinion).

Then try the Sentinel series. Great TD games.

There is Fieldrunners, too, and at the time, it was one of the more popular TD games.

9. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Fieldrunners is still one of the best, and one of the easiest TD games. For me, Sentinel 3 beats em all.

10. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    Yes, you really should buy Plants vs. Zombies. It's a great game, even though not strictly a tower defense game and rather easy.

When I started with tower defense games I read a lot on these forums and choose The Creeps! first. I love the way it looks and it's certainly addictive. Addictive enough to end up buying all the level packs. I am slowly getting better at it. :)

After that I bought geoDefense Swarm also. This one is a lot harder, very frustrating at times, but in a way which makes me determined to beat those levels. (One day...) I choose this one because it's open field and I wanted something different. geoDefense and geoDefense Swarm have lite versions, so you can try them out before buying. Probably something for later on, but keep it in mind in case you want more tower defense games at some point.

Personally I only buy those games which fit the whole field on the screen at once and which look nice. I don't like the look of most tower defense games (personal taste). Luckily there is a lot of choice and I can be picky.

I hope you'll enjoy The Creeps! as much as I do. It's the one which got me into tower defense games and will probably always be my favourite.

11. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    The Creeps and Monster Feed I would suggest.
    Someone mention Geodefence and Geodefence Swarm. I wouldn't consider these two easy or for beginners at all. Great games though.

12. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #12 csklimowski, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    deleted

13. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Actually, it's neither. According to PopCap, it's "flower defense".:)

14. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks again for the suggestions - I do have Plants vs Zombies on the ipod (waiting for price drop for HD version for iPad). I never really played that either but it looks good too.

15. Junliang

Junliang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    GeoDefense Swarm and field runner :)

16. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    I just noticed... "flower defense" - thats funny, but makes sense since you get powers from the sunflowers. etc

17. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    #17 Dazzlemi, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    I just found Defense Grid The Awakening - I see they have serveral map packs available too... I do have the PC - amazing looking game / graphics - it would ne really cool if that was available on the iPad. I found their website and saw a couple youtube videos. I'm downloading the demo as we speak

18. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I too just noticed that Defense Grid is in the Mac App Store. Looks like a good one, will definitely grab this one.

Regarding approachable iOS TD games, like others I really like Fieldrunners and The Creeps.

The Sentinel Series is outstanding. Have been playing Sentinel 3 for Mac like crazy recently.

19. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #19 gwet17, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Would you recommend the Mac App version of Sentinel 3 for 4.99? My standard (white) Macbook tends to overheat. Should I just get it for iOS and save the extra two bucks? Should I get both?

20. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Without a doubt. Been having a blast with it, and it looks stellar on a larger screen.

It also handles game saves really well, has lo/hi-res graphics options (i've only played it hi-res FYI) and the ability to toggle fullscreen. Campaign, endless, and classic modes, so plenty of gameplay.

And with the psycho difficulty level, well, I'll be challenged for quite some time. A really well-crafted game for the cost of a fast food combo meal.