I have become an addict :(

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iphoneprogrammer, Mar 26, 2011.

1. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    After downloading FF3 the other day I have felt a strangness inside me. This strangeness (no it is not aids for all your comedians out there) is the desperation to play 3D RPG's alot like FF3. This is my first JRPG and my first FF game ever....yeah thats right. Ever. And I seem to have become addicted to playing them. So far I hav purchased Chaos Rings and Crimson Gem Saga. Are there anymore 3D JRPG or RPGs that I have yet to find on the iDevices? ANy hidden gems? It has to be 3D as I am a stickler for eye candy, and prefer 3D to 2D any day.

I wanted to keep this thread separate as I need only specific responses rather than a generic "What RPG should I get?" type thread.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Price is not an issue, and I prefer things with deep upgrade systems, and retina display. I know I am picky but I ain't gonna cough up my cash for a game I won't enjoy.

2. Chaos Rings
    FF1
    FF2
    Inotia 3
    Aralon

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Addicted? Welcome to Touch Arcade where your sisters & brothers in
    spirit are dwelling. ;)

I guess with Chaos Rings, FFIII and Crimson Gem Saga, you'll have around 120 hours of fun.
    There's also FFII, not 3D but with a good story that you might like.

There aren't much more turn-based JRPGs right now, but Square Enix fpunded a new smartphone game studio, so we can expect a lot more games in the future.

oh, and check Song Summoner by S/E. It's turn-based, too, but more of a strategy game, but with a long story and funny game mechanics.
    You're lucky 'cause this is also on sale.

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    If you want a rpg with over 100 hours of gameplay and 7 dollars cheaper check out Mission Europa collectors edition!

5. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    haha, i have been addicted to JRPGs for about 20 years since DQ 2. if you do like them, i suggest you play the DQ and FF series on simulators. especially recommend FF7 and DQ 5.

6. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    The other FFs and Crimson Gem saga are not 3D though certainly JRPGs.

Crimson Gem saga is very pretty, though, with presentation, both visual and audio on whole different level than the majority of iOS games, 40h of gameplay, some puzzles, a decent story, tons of different environments, random encounters, etc. It does have bad controls and rather boring combat system, but I personally enjoyed it enough to finish it. It does have "save anywhere", thank the stars, too.

I am currently playing and absolutely loving the Chaos Rings. It is also pretty, with 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds and gorgeous 3D battles.
    Battle system is quite enjoyable once it opens up, and you can set the challenge and level of random encounters yourself.
    It has a very intriguing and well-written story, beautiful music, some puzzles. It is laid out so that you have to re-play it with different characters to get the whole story, though, so it doesn't have as much different content as the Crimson Gem Saga. I'd grab it ASAP while it is on sale.

Not 3D, but worth a look are the indie homages to 16-bit JRPGs Monster RPG 2 and Ash. The former has challenging combat, particularly against the bosses, the latter has a well-written and intriguing story.

All of the above are turn-based.

Aralon is 3D and being a WRPG fan I'd have jumped on it if it worked properly on 2g. Others will have to weigh in there.

Personally, I also love Undercroft and The Quest, which are made in tradition of 1st person turn-based WRPG classics like Eye of the Beholder and Wizardry (and have the sprite graphics in this style) and urge everybody and sundry to try the former (which is now free) and the Lite of the latter. They are very different from FFs et al., though.

7. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    honestly do yourself a favor and get a ps2...

with that out of the way, Aralon will offer a look into the western side of rpgs, and gameloft has there ff clone on sale for $0.99 and as much as i dislike gameloft $0.99 is an appropriate price for even a tech demo :p.

not to many ios 3d jrpgs, hence the ps2 suggestion

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Kingdom Hearts + FF galore!

But yeah, the iOS doesn't offer many of RPGs from this subgenre. You'll mainly find 2d KRPGs around, but they're quite fun as well in my opinion.

9. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Wait until you play the real JRPG heavyweights.

SNES:
    Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 in the U.S.)
    Secret of Mana (available on touch, get it!!)
    Chrono Trigger

PSOne
    Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy Tactics

10. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Take it for what it's worth but pocket gamer rumor miner mentioned that Chrono Trigger was getting a mobile release, eventually. Who know when with squares time frame look at FFT for example, but always better to delay than release a shorty version...

11. Yensimer

Yensimer Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Mission Europa....awesome one

12. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Picked up Secret of Mana, FF 1 & 2, and bought Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 as a friend said to do. Playing the ps2 right now and OMG I love Kingdom Hearts....

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The kingdom hearts series is no doubt the best RPGs I've played in my life. Clocked 100 hours on the first, having earned everything and unlocked all the secrets. Bought that the day it came out as my first PS2 game. A few years later, I grabbed KH2, which wasn't as epic, but still pretty damn good. Birth by Sleep on the PSP as well :].