Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    My favourite 3 paid for tables are Thor, World War Hulk and The Avengers. I currently own 8 of the tables, and my least favourite is Wolverine.

I personally prefer the Marvel tables, but Epic Quest is pretty good.

I would recommend checking out YouTube to see gameplay and reviews if you are unsure.

I am hoping for Spider-Man or Plants vs Zombies for future releases.

Do you own any tables at the moment?

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think Avengers has to be my favorite table so far. Not so much for the table design but the novel concept of each ball representing one of the avengers and thus having unique modifiers to gameplay.

3. Shivers21

Shivers21 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    do the tables have music? they seem silent apart from sound effects.

4. Phoenix24

Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    #464 Phoenix24, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Each game has its own fantastic music and great voice acting, check out the ZenStudiosGames channel on YouTube, or one of the reviewers.

I recently bought Blade and Tesla and gotta say that Blade is now my fave table - love the music, effects and night / day mode.

The only issue I have with this game is the occasional freezing of a flipper, however recognise that real tables are not perfect and is part of the challenge.

Highly recommended if you like pinball and / or Marvel :D

5. Shivers21

Shivers21 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I have blade but it has no music only sound effects?

6. Phoenix24

Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Check the audio settings in the menu, it may be on minimal sound.

Blade has a techno track, and all tables have their own background music, with some being fairly similar.

7. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    How is Zen Pinball physic compared to Pinball Arcade?

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I would defer to any of TA's REAL PB experts, I think the Zen tables are a tad more "floatier".

I guess it really depends on what you want in your pinball game as I think the Zen tables, especially all of the Marvel tables, are great with the surreal effects, i.e. stuff that could never happen on a real pinball table like having Thor jump across the screen to smash Loki or seeing the points you scored for hitting a bumper float up from the point of impact.

I think my biggest whines with the Zen tables are when they either go a bit too far off the believable mark (like suddenly involving you in some sort of gear jumping puzzle in Sorcerer's Lair) or tables like Tesla and Epic Quest where it feels far too easy to just fart around triggering nothing of interest for long amounts of time.

9. Phoenix24

Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    I agree with LordGek's sentiments about the tables in ZP.

The Marvel tables are the most fun for me because of the fantasy elements, 3D fights, mini games and the great sound and music. Scoring is much easier on these tables too, although my best score by far is on Scorcerer's Lair.

Aesthetically I think Zen tables look more graphically polished than Pinball Arcade, which look fuzzier to me, and also think the music and voice acting is better too.

Overall the Pinball Purists scoff at ZP, but so far I much prefer their offerings on iOS, as they are simply more fun, for me at least.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Creepy foreshadowing of real-life?

Is it just me or does the Civil War table's deal about a big drive toward forced registrations after a big school shooting in Conneticut almost hit home? This came out weeks before the real-life shooting and is based on a line comics from a ways back. Just a freaky coincidence.

11. Fillem

Fillem New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Sorry if this has been answered before but I have a big issue with the dot matrix windows on an Ipad4. It,s very, very tiny and changing the size in the options doesn't change anyrhing. I also can't seem to change the location. Is this a known problem?
    I kinda want the dot matrix to be readable and visible :(

12. Phoenix24

Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Zen Studios have just announced on twitter Star Wars Pinball coming very soon to iOS and consoles.

"Zen Studios
    Star Wars Pinball Coming This February!

Use the Force to guide the silver ball in Star Wars Pinball coming to digital stores in just a few short weeks! The first pack of tables includes Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. We will be unveiling detailed looks at each table in the coming weeks, so be sure to check the Zen Blog or www.starwarspinball.com for the latest Star Wars Pinball updates.

Star Wars Pinball will be available as DLC for the following platforms:

• Pinball FX2™ on Xbox LIVE® Arcade & Windows 8
    • Zen Pinball 2™ on PlayStation®Network for PlayStation 3 & PlayStation Vita with Cross Buy entitlement! Purchase once and play on both systems!
    • Zen Pinball 2 on the Mac®App Store
    • Zen Pinball on the Apple®App Store
    • Zen Pinball HD Google Play™

Additionally, Star Wars Pinball will be available for download as standalone application on the Apple®App Store and
    Google Play™. New platforms will be announced at a later date.

Each table features a different iconic moment from the Star Wars universe, with interactive 3D characters, and unique gameplay. There will be a total of ten themed pinball tables in the Star Wars Pinball collection.

We will be unveiling more details on each table over the next few weeks leading up to release, so be sure to keep an eye on the Zen Blog or www.starwarspinball.com for the latest Star Wars Pinball updates.

May the Force be with you!"

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

The Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF) showed an interesting documentary report about history of pinball arcade machines and modern mobile pinball video games. They visited ZEN Studios in Budapest, Hungary.

It's German-language but nice to watch anyway, lots of historic and hyper modern pinball scenes, insights on high-tech pinball programming:

http://tvthek.orf.at/programs/1306-Newton

(Runtime 13 minutes. The show will be available at this link for 7 days. Maybe I'll upload it to YT later.)

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #475 tops2, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    About to go on vacation tomorrow and wanted something with some progress/grind so finally picked up Epic Quest. Fun stuff! Having trouble consistently hitting sword and shield ramps, and the overall game is a bit fast..but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Hopefully the Starwars tables means Zen Studios can support "iphone5" resolution..or at least extend the flipper controls to the black deadzone. I accidentally hit the deadzone once in a while.

15. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Which Marvel tables are the must haves? I've got Thor, Captain America, Wolverine and Blade, are any there better ones than those?

16. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #477 SumoSplash, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    I just downloaded X-Men last night and so far I recommend it. Tons of ramps.

Speaking of the X-Men table... It isn't easy, and a little frustrating in some aspects. Some challenges (for example, obtaining 'Unite') are lost when you lose your ball. I consistently will get to the 't' and lose my ball, then have to start over with my next ball. I find this annoying. Also, when a certain challenge is in effect, like finding Mystique, the game doesn't keep track of other challenges until the one challenge that is most active is completed or times out on its own. I also find this irritating, since sometimes I get the Xavier Gift while another challenge is active and it doesn't recognize it.

Any thoughts?

17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Greetings from Thailand. ;-)

Epic Quest is pretty fun.. I'm finding hitting the sword ramp hard as heck. I seem to be able to hit the shield ramp a bit more consistently. I seem to kill monsters due to the smash target more often then with the sword...

18. Barefoot

Barefoot Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Star Wars tables are up!!!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep very impressed so far

Been playing the Boba Fett table a lot, have to play the others at lunch.

But excellent, i couldnt find the standalone app they mentioned (wonder how that will work, will it realise if you've paid for the tables in Zen Pinball or not ?)

But really impressed