Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Aw, missed out on the sale from the other day. Hope to catch it next one, as this looks quite interesting.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Is there any way to add something that would show your playtime for each save file? I feel like it'd be nice to know all the hours I put into this game. I've probably spent so much time on it..

3. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    I don't know whether i would like to know the hours I've put in :p

4. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I will investigate this and get back to you...

5. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I have added the request to the wish list, and I'll do a little research about it. Not sure when I could get to something like this, however (unless it turns out to be really easy to add).

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    @Tikanderoga - I've looked at the code and I can tell you what is happening. It is working as designed, although I can understand the confusion. The extra aeons required to trigger additional discards is not part of the casting cost, so the 4-1 aeon exchange can't be used to pay its cost. It is a card ability that triggers when the card is cast. If the card were to be disrupted, for instance, it would not be paid.

This applies to all four cards with this sort of ability, one in each color: Psychotic Break, Storm Funnel, Dream Surge and Forest Titan. It is particularly obvious on the Forest Titan, as it shows up as an "on cast" ability called Ancient's Power, whereas the other three just have text describing the ability.

7. Tikanderoga

Tikanderoga Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    No worries. Thanks for checking Mike :)

8. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Just picked it up. Can't wait to play it. Is the gold in each run limited, or is there a place to go that has an unlimited amount of enemies? If not, what happens if you lose most of your gold and cannot progress (without having to drop the difficulty)? How long, on average, are most runs?

9. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    There are a finite number of enemies, except after you complete the main campaign, after which you can unlock an ancient portal where you can face an unlimited number of random enemies.

If you hit a point where you can not progress, you would have to consider starting over. This is more likely on hard/extreme difficulty where you can also lose cards from your deck as well as gold, but can happen. It is also more likely early on in the game before you've gotten your deck strategy established. My advice is to start on easy and work your way up as you get the hang of things. As you noted you can always adjust the difficulty up or down. Hope you enjoy it!

10. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Just a note that Lost Portal is currently on sale for $1. Tell your friends to get it for that price while they can, as the sale ends soon!

11. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    A new update will be coming in a week or two to fix a couple of minor bugs.
    I am also including 8 new Avatar cards, two of each color.
    Attached are a couple I have been play-testing.

Attached Files:

12. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    This is a truly great game!

I bought the expansion, and I'm using the green knockout card, and overwhelm doesn't appear to be working. What could I be missing?

13. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    That is one of the fixes in an upcoming update. It's cost is also going to increase to 6. Glad you are enjoying the game!

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Version 1.1.6 is now available!

15. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Thanks! May I ask another question?

I've been playing on Rough, as it's the hardest level where I won't lose cards. If I bump up to Extreme are there any added rewards, or would I be doing it just for the challenge?

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    It is just more challenging. Enemies have higher ability scores and you have the added risk of losing cards from your deck when you lose a duel.

17. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Re-downloaded and bought the expansion. My previous post in this thread promised I'd do both, but I procrastinated.

I'm glad I dove back in, because you've really refined and polished this game, Michael. It's come such a long way from the very first version, which I am somewhat ashamed to admit requested a refund from Apple over because of how clunky and unbalanced it was. At this point though, I'll keep buying whatever expansions you come out with for this until you create another game.

Speaking of which, let me know if you want a play-tester. I'd be happy to sign an NDA or whatever if that were a requirement.

Lost Portal 2, if it is in the making, is one of my most looked-forward-to games at this point.

18. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Glad to hear you gave Lost Portal a second chance! I definitely appreciate all of the feedback I got here at TA that helped me improve the game. At this point, I am having fun designing another RPG/CCG called Star Portal, but it still has a long way to go.

19. Quilliams

Quilliams New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    #919 Quilliams, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Combat mechanics foreign and unintuitive

Hi there! I just bought the game based on its description and I come from a Hearthstone background, where there appears to be more of an emphasis on creature interactions. Nowhere in the game guide could I find anything detailing how combat works. It appears however, from my current 100% loss rate, that there is no risk or penalty associated with creatures attacking. So there's really no way to recover from an opponent being the first to lay down a creature? There's no "trading" creatures? Once a player has a creature down first in a lane, the only actual way for the opponent to defend against that lane is through the use of a MUCH bigger minion in the same lane, or via use of a spell or rush mechanics?

I really hope I'm missing something here, because initial reception to the game is not good. Strategy seems to just be the first in any lane so the opponent can no longer defend there without spell removal, as any minion they play to block the attacker will just get eaten up by the invincible attacking force who suffer no attrition from any blockers the opponent might have foolishly played to forestall the inevitable. Could be that I’m just going through a paradigm shift here.

20. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    @Quilliams

Sorry Lost Portal's combat mechanics haven't met your expectations of being more similar to Hearthstone. The combat is actually more similar to other games out there like Spectromancer, Orions 1 & 2 and others and does require some different strategy. Also, there are creatures in every color that can help defend - for example, blue has armored creatures that are likely to survive at least one attack.
    Perhaps some other players reading this can give you some insights.

Quilliams likes this.