Best way to NOT lose save files when syncing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jjjmedia, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I backup my iPhone regularly, but sometimes I lose my game saves when syncing. I know you lose all game data when you delete an app directly from your phone, but what about when you uncheck an app to remove it in iTunes? Shouldn't it save the data when you try to resync it back to your phone?

I lost all of my Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell data when syncing my old backup to my new iPhone 4, but my Street Fighter IV and other apps saved just fine. Game saves are unfortunately very hit or miss for me. Can anyone relate? What do you guys do?

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    When you take it off the iPhone, whether it be through iTunes or just on-the-go, that save data is gone permanently.

Backing up the phone saves the data of the games on the phone... but once those games are taken off at all, their data is lost permanently.

Some services (like Plus+) allow the storing of game saves on their servers so that you don't have to be afraid to delete a game off of your iPhone for the sake of space, but 99% of the time, that will not be the case.

:(

3. jjjmedia

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, really? That sucks! What about when you wanna clear off space on your device after finishing a game? Especially those big Gameloft titles or an RPG you've put hours into. What to do?

4. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I never lost gamesaves while synching.

Also OpenFeint saves some of you progress but only your achiements.
    So it depends on the developers implemention of OF how much of you game progess is saved - or lost.

At least I presume this.
    Is their any evidence that GameCenter will change that
    aka let you back up savegames?

I am REALLY missing that feature!!!
    This woul be the ONLY reason to JB my iPod. But I donĀ“t like to.
    I just should not have to.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    you buy the new 32gb fourth generation itouch

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I've gotten 2 new phones in the past year through warranty. They were blank obviously when I got them, and I chose to restore from backup when setting them up and then syncing. All the saves were still there.

7. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    If you jailbreak, there are apps to save game data of individual apps that don't require a restore to get your data back once you re-install the game. And you can keep the save files on your computer.

I have hundreds of these files on my computer of all my apps backed up data if I ever want to put them back on my phone :p

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I actually save them manually :p What app is it? Because doing it manually is annoying since the app folders are encoded.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    'AppBackUp'. It's really handy, does it all for you and places the files in a folder that you can just SSH out.

I haven't been jailbroken since 4.0 came out though, so I have no idea if it's compatible with 4.0+ but worth a look. It's free too, highly recommended if it still works :)

10. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Okay, so I don't know how to explain this without making it sound confusing. The backup will contain the save files as well as the apps from that iDevice they were backed up from. But if you try deleting an app off of the iDevice, the save data will be gone.

11. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    #11 ChrisL, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    Sweet thanks, I'll check it out!

Edit: Works like a charm! Only thing to do now is figure out where the save files are located :p

12. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I use the premium version of MobileSyncBrowser. It allows you to backup individual game data and restore just that game later, when you want to pick it back up. If I jailbreak again, I'll download that free app mentioned above.

13. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Hm that seems good too! Especially since you don't have to be jailbroken to use it!

14. jjjmedia

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    So what do you do then if you wanna remove your finished, let's say, GTA from your device. You do a manual backup but then it'll save other games at their current save levels also. A week later you restore from that backup to put GTA back on your phone, so wouldn't you lose the week's progress from the other games?

15. jjjmedia

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    So what do you do then if you wanna remove your finished, let's say, GTA from your device. You do a manual backup but then it'll save other games at their current save levels also. A week later you restore from that backup to put GTA back on your phone, so wouldn't you lose the week's progress from the other games?

16. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    A backup will restore every data from the save point. Once you've decided to take a game off your phone, it means you have to forego the progress. This is where you make a choice, what stays on your device and what goes. Either that or you get a 64GB iPod Touch or jailbreak.