What limitations does apple put on apps?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Keyeszx, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Keyeszx

Keyeszx Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I was thinking of making a game like LittleBigPlanet where you create your level and upload it to a server and then others can download it. But then I saw some other app was taken down because it allowed you to download data files or something. So just curious as to whether this will work.

Also wondering about game center, how many players are allowed in one game if it's multiplayer using game center?

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

The limits of your imagination!

Imaginnnaaaattiiooooon. Imaginaiaiaiaiaition. Imaginnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

Oh and all their closed BS that's in the documentation

3. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

This made me laugh so hard! This is how I pictured you answering his question:)
    [​IMG]

4. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well one limitation I've come across recently is that there is no promo codes for in app purchases.

And dont try making your own system for that, Apple will say no :p

5. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    thats disappointing to hear. I was interested in the potential of a validation code system run outside of Apple. lots of possibilities.

6. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    You can do that. There are several examples of this on the store, such as iBlast Moki and our own game Chalkboard Stunts. What's against their policy is downloading anything construed to be executable.

I don't know if anything changed in iOS5, but previously the limit was 4 players P2P and 16 players if you use your own server for connecting the players.

7. Keyeszx

Sep 10, 2011
    Where can I get your own server? As an indie developer group would we have to rent out a server? Do indie devs ever own their own or just rent? There's MMOs out there so does that mean theoretically games besides MMOs can have more than 16?

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

That's how I answer every question :D

9. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I don't know where the 16 figure came from. Go Native! hosts up to 30 players in the same game at the same time (which could have been more if we didn't support 1st gen devices - a memory issue not an Apple constraint).

10. Keyeszx

Sep 10, 2011
    Why limit ourselves to 30? Make it support only ipad 2 and iphone 4s. How many do you think we can get from just those two?

11. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    When Go Native! was released 2 years ago (wow has it really been that long?) there were quite a few more. I suppose a renewal should be in the works.

I couldn't tell you how many people could connect at a time for your game. I'm sure we could have 100+ in each room for Go Native! though.

12. getnoticedllc

getnoticedllc New Member

Oct 31, 2011
    This is not exactly related....

I have been searching for information about the automatic copyright that apple's xcode generates while coding iPhone applications. My husband is only in the business of creating games as a hobby of sorts, but I can't find any information on what the automatically generated copyright actually protects. Is this a legitimate copyright that we can enforce against other developers should they try to copy our application? or is the copyright solely in the favor of apple? I cannot find ANY information about this, and I also cannot figure out how to create a new post, so sorry for tagging along on this one! I just want to make sure that if he makes a hit game (it could happen, really!) that it would already be protected and we would not have to go out and get a seperate copyright. Thanks in advance for any feedback I get.

- Confused Developer :confused: