switching from $0.99 to free

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by khangtoh, Jul 18, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We just got our update approved and want to make our app free from $0.99. I'm assuming we can change the price back to $0.99 whenever we want like?

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  3. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    and this will usually reset your top 100 lists to nothing !

4. jetpacker

jetpacker Member

Jul 9, 2009
    apple is slow in changing sometimes if you try to change a lot so it isn't like a change and then it posts immediately. sometimes it goes quick, sometimes it takes a couple hours. once it took like more than half the day.

5. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You mean if we get on top 100 for the free and when we switch back to $0.99, we'll lose the top 100 position on the free list? Yeah, I think that's reasonable. We just want to grow our user base before we launch our multi-player version.

6. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    I have done this once and lost all 100 listed countries. But it makes sense to reset thecounters for App Store as the number of downloads differs a lot,so free and non free are handled seperately. Best s tochange it with an update so this brings you back to the store front.

7. What is everyone thoughts on this technique?

If a game does well as a free app and you then start to charge for it, do you think this will help sales? The only benefit I can see is ratings and I think only a small percentage of users submit a rating / review.

8. BoiledGoose

BoiledGoose Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure making it free will hurt your star rating, just because people will download/delete more often and it's the deleters who get the ratings prompt. But if the app is good, star rating is less important IMO than install base.

If I can ever get my ragdoll app approved my plan is to make 1.0 ad-supported and free, then after I update it to 2.0 (adding enough features to justify calling it 2.0), I'll pull out the ads and make it $.99.

This rewards early adopters who basically get upgraded from "Lite to Full" for free, and builds an install base. Don't know if this is a good plan or not, but something I'd like to try.

9. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

That seems like a good reason to do it. Build awareness than sell an more advanced version.

10. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    I LOVE THIS GAME! I PLAYED IT FOR LIKE 2 DAYS STRAIGHT AND UNLOCKED EVERYTHING AND BECAME THE MASTER AT DRIFTING! haha I can't wait until it comes out :D:D:D:D:D:D

11. codepunk

codepunk Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    nope

Do a lite and full version you will be much happier with the end result. Make it free and watch your ratings fall like a rock. Then when you switch back to paid you start back from the bottom and likely not return back to the top.