Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Another simple but addictive game Orbital is currently selling for the same price as Canabalt. I played the flash version and can see how one can kill the whole day playing it. I don't think that 2.99 USD/AUD3.99 is too much for a good game that you are going to spend many hours playing.

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If I personally was going to play this game for hours I would buy it right away, but I probably will spend as much time on it as I did with DoodleJump or Mr. Ahhhh! I doubt I've played either for longer than an hour.

Both great games, but the entertainment they provide is only 99 cents worth to me.

Of course if you are going to spend hours on it, then I can see why you'd want to pick this game up ASAP. :)

3. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    How many hours do you think you spent playing those games? Just curious.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Like I mentioned in my post I don't think I've played those two games for more than an hour each.

They're awesome 99 cent pick up and play games, if they had been any more expensive I think I would've passed on them. Plus I like those two games a bit more than I liked the web version of this game.

They're still on my iPod, but I haven't touched them in awhile.

5. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have yet to complain about the price on a game but there's no way this game is worth anything more than 99 cents, especially considering you can play it free at anytime on your PC.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Jump On The Building is free.

Run! has more to it, and is cheaper...

Why would someone want to pick this up again? Is there something truly epic in here that I'm missing? (Played with the web version for a bit.) It's nice, but is it that nice? :confused:

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think "many hours" is overestimating the general consumer quite a lot. Most people are going to be playing in very short bursts... even the people who love stuff like "Run!" don't necessarily sit down and play for 2 hours.

...maybe some of the high scorers, but they're not your average gamer :p

Is there any difference at all between this version and the flash version?

8. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    There are a lot of games that have pretty close or even exact equivalents on PC. After all, a lot of iDevice games are ports of Flash versions (almost all of Donut Games games). Here you are paying for convenience of having it on a portable device.

Thats exacly the point - what the game is worth to you. If you look at the amount of the content and the graphics - this game should be free. If you consider the amount of time you are going to spend on it then it may be worth it.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah... but the real point isn't what it's worth to individual people, it's what it's worth to the majority of people. Pretty sure most won't play for hours.

...and yeah, you're paying for the convenience of playing a free flash game on a portable device, which is why Bloons only charges $0.99 ;)

10. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I didn't mean many hours in a row. All those minutes in a toilet, buses, trains, lunch breaks add up over time. No matter how many games people have, everyone has their favourites they tend to play in those spare moments. Like I said before, if you only consider the content, this game is not going to compare well to most other games with the same price tag.

11. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You got me there...:)

12. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    c'mon...

wait a second...are they really going to charge 2.99 for a one stage replica of a free flash game? i mean, i get it's randomly generated, but they could at least introduce different looking areas or add new mechanics like grabbing things to swing on or have things chase you, etc. if they're going to charge 3 bucks for it.

such a bizarre decision considering this is the kind of app that could've broke the top 100 in a matter of seconds at 99 cents. i don't know how much market penetration you'll get at 2.99...it's more epic on my pc monitor at the moment anyways.

13. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    damn. why oh why can't i just play flash games on my ipod through safari :(

14. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Because then App store will collapse like a sack of potatoes! :)

15. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    #36 Adam Atomic, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    Wow lot of posts already!

Just wanted to say thanks for checking the game out (and double thanks if you picked up a copy!). Am going to continue following the "this should be 0.99 lol!!" discussion with interest. I think both sides are valid - yea, it's a replica of a free flash game. But then again, I made both versions! The iPhone version is a really easy way to support us and help us make more stuff like this (in Flash or otherwise) if you enjoyed it.

Anyways, all comments are appreciated, and we will be reading this thread!

EDIT - Also, as we did with Wurdle, we will be adding features and updates as we go. If you're really torn on the $2.99 versus $0.99 issue, rest assured that the iPhone version will be getting new features while the Flash version will not...

16. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I was gonna pick this up right when it came out but 2.99 makes me a bit hesitant cuz I'm sure other people are going to be complaining and price will drop soon.

17. MatthewRex

MatthewRex Member

Aug 1, 2009
    UI Artist
    San Francisco
    This is a fantastic game that I first played on my computer. I was super excited to have it on my iPhone, and was happy to provide the developer with the money he deserves for a fun game.

I do hope there are plans to expand upon the game though. I would love to see some new levels, perhaps added challenges, or the ability to do multiplayer. I think having bluetooth/wifi multiplayer with both people running the same course would be super cool. Seeing both characters on-screen and seeing who gets farthest. Keep up the great work!

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Heh... now I think about it... the comment I just made in the Heavy Crossbow topic would also work really well in this game:

Stick that in Canabalt and it's an instant buy for me.

19. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    If we ever price drop the game it will have very little to do with scarce complaints on a forum thread, I promise!