Nethack/iNethack/Slash 'Em/Other Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LostLegend, Jun 28, 2010.

1. After downloading these, I have fallen in love with them. They contain multiple graphics options so you don't have to look at keyboard keys.

These games contain a massive amount of personalization and actions you can take (Almost like Dungeons and Dragons!)

Slash 'Em is the hardest. It is basically iNethack made harder and more fun in that you can see your items put before you and you don't have to type commands. You select them from a list.

Nethack has a bit of a response delay... Minorly annoying but probably has best command selector as you can sort commands.

I managed to get to a low level with one of my characters in iNethack but I died quickly from a yeti upon finding a village and thinking the guards were hostile and running away from them LOL

What was your best score/experience? Need help?

2. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #2 RonBurgundy, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    Huh I haven't played those yet, been wraped up in 100 rogues and Rogue Touch for the most part. With maybe a sword of fargoal thrown in there.

EDIT: oh I almost forgot about cavern. :)

3. #3 LostLegend, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    These games are free and will be right up your alley. Essentially, they are non-crashing games like 100 rogues.
    And they have multiasking 'built in' as in they auto save where you quit.

Fargoal is a nice-looking game like these. I enjoy fargoal.

Edit POWDER is ok but graphics put me off :/

4. dirkz

dirkz Member

Aug 3, 2009
    With my vampiric necromancers I'm usually quite content when I reach the Oracle or manage it to nearly-but-not-quite Minetown :)

I'm pretty cautious to recommend iNetHack/Slash'EM to players who have enjoyed the more streamlined "modern" roguelikes in the app store. They are both pretty hardcore and quite honestly you should be intimate with any other Hack port already.

5. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    Oh they are free? Guess I know what I will be downloading when I get home. :)

But Powder... from what I hear it is pretty much a demo and if you want to unlock the full version you have to pony up like $30 if I remember right... that's waay too much imo.

6. I didn't play it much :/
    All 3 games are quite different, try them all.

Dirkz: I'm used to Fargoal and those who play fargoal on any difficulty but beginner would enjoy those. That is what I am aiming my recommendations at.

Funny thing though, I'm getting a lot of notifications saying it's a full moon tonight and a lot of my characters keep randomly morphing! Is there a patten to this?! >.<
    (They all seem to be lucky too... Is this app time-based? Lol.)

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The majority of the crash bugs have been ironed out of 100 Rogues. It's mostly minor, non-game breaking bugs that remain.

8. I still see reviews with crash bug complaints?

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Well there's only 11 reviews for the current version, so it's not exactly a great sample. But the game has only been out for a month and a half and the devs have worked pretty tirelessly at fixing it up. So I wouldn't doubt if it became near-perfect in a few weeks.

10. Ah, ok.

No further comments.

11. dirkz

dirkz Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Randomly morphing chars? Are you playing Lycanthropes? Otherwise you probably got bitten by a were creature.

And yes, the moon phase affects gameplay, and not only by altering your in-game luck :) There are also some special dates that have in-game effects.

12. 0.o
    Intruiging.

And my character(s) (2 of them in a row at least lol) One just morphed into every creature imaginable randomly and one was always changing into an annoying lycan with no hands :/

No were creatures bit either char.

How do they know it's full moon when underground?!

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Gravitational pull of the moon? ;)

14. *looks at water spring and sinks*
    What are sinks doing in random places?
    I see no waves on the spring's water.

Lol.

15. Nicolo

Nicolo Active Member

Feb 10, 2011
    IOS dev
    France
    Cool !
    I'm a huge nethack fan and just discovered yesterday iNetHack. I think it's a good port for iOs but the controls are difficult without a proper physical keyboard.

And now there is Slash'em on iOs :eek:
    May I ask an Angband port too ? :D

16. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    #16 Rixx, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    I collect roguelike games. My favorite genre on the iThingys.

[​IMG]

These are all roguelikes or derivatives. If you know of more, let me know :)
    I have not included some similar ones like Solomons Keep/Boneyard, and Dark Raider 3GS, but they could be argued to be in this classification too.

Rixx

17. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    #17 js1210, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    My prefered Rogue experience is SLASH'EM. Its hard to the point of tears, and pretty similar to rogue and nethavk, but it has the best controls and graphical interface of all the free roguelikes(and better gameplay than 100 Rogues in my opinion).

I also enjoy Sword Of Fargoal. It has, by far, the best graphics and controls, but the gameplay is different enough from other roguelikes that it warrants a seperate mention.

Awhile back i made a topic asking what was the best dungeon crawler game for idevices, and i got some very inteesting responses. I would suggest searching that topic if youre interested in dungeon crawlers forthe ios

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=82008

For all you lazy folks

18. Wow, nice to see a sudden thread revival.
    I never finished SOF or any of the other roguelikes on my iPod lol. They're pretty difficult and time-consuming but fun.

19. bzizizi

bzizizi Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Developer
    Croatia
    Controls are the doom of iOS roguelikes. Hope that the next rogulike will be taylored for the touch screen, not the other way around.

20. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I agree. My next roguelike is a new design, specifically designed for the touch screen. It'll use multi-touch swipes, drags, and simple gestures to navigate the world and interact with stuff.

Spirit Hunter Mineko has been in development off and on for well over a year now (part time), and is shaping up nicely. Hoping to have a fully playable demo ready for WWDC :D

I've been pretty sparse on news and posts about Mineko's progress here, but will be providing a lot of new details in my upcoming thread very soon! Chronosoft.com will be getting an overhaul as well with an all new layout, details, and a blog for my progress. Expect that to happen in the next 2 weeks ;)