Dragonvale: Strategies/Tips (NOT an add me thread)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by darren12, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Foxtail2010

Foxtail2010 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    #7621 Foxtail2010, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks!
    Yeah, if I remember right, the Emerald was the first gem dragon and it came out mid month (May) ... so I only managed 1 Emerald. We were all pretty upset that we didn't get more time for that one. So thanks to the "Limited Dragon Explosion" (LDE) I got everything I needed:

1 Emerald (egg)
    2 Leap Year
    1 Paper (#2)
    2 Apocalypse & 2 Gift (not exactly part of the LDE)

Still struggling to get that *$#@% Platinum. Grrr.

2. glory87

glory87 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Still can't believe how tough the second Gift dragon is. Just got an 8 hour fail (Evergreen, I think). I managed to get my second Blue Moon, Love and Solstice. I also got a platinum! The only thing I'm missing is a Gold Olympus and I am so over it, I'm not even trying to get it anymore. My first 2 garnet fails have been 12 hour Smokes. But, it's a long month, not worried about it!

3. dlstar

dlstar Well-Known Member

Quicksilver/ghost had outcomes that included glacier and platinum, so I figured the chances of me getting something I actually wanted were pretty good. I'd started with quicksilver/paper as that included gift as well. I always go for something that offers me as many chances as possible for dragons I don't have :)

Hope I get garnet quickly so I can go back to trying for platinum.

4. AndyPandy26

AndyPandy26 Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Courier
    Wigan, UK
    Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, and all the best for 2013!!

This Garnet may prove to be a pain. Just finished my failed apocalypse 48 hour, and got double 48 hour Garnet fails :-O

When does the Apocalypse leave?

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    9th of Jan, I think.

Wonder what's in store for us in terms of major updates. We have been given a major boost in our money making potential with increased epic habitat capacities. It may lead to extra expensive new islands or (god forbid) platinum shrines.

6. dean288367

dean288367 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Defiance
    #7626 dean288367, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    With all this talk about the limiteds thought that it would be a good time to remind everyone that Panlong is a limited dragon. It was released around Chinese New Year 2012. This year Chinese New Year is February 10, 2013, Year of the Snake.

7. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    Oh good point - multi tasking. :)

And another good point! I'd forgotten that about Panlong. Wonder if BF will carry on with the Chinese New Year.

8. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    #7628 Foxtail2010, Jan 3, 2013
    Ouch. Sorry Andy. Yeah, Jan 9 is it for Apocalypse.

EDIT: Anyone else see The Hobbit movie yet? I'm a big fan of LotR. Can't wait to see all of the dragon Smaug revealed. So far we've only seen his great eye and his shadowy shape in flames.

9. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    #7629 Foxtail2010, Jan 3, 2013
    Platinum Glory

Well knock me over, I just got a Platinum brewing. I went to Sandbox and played with the simulator a while, trying to decide what to use and went back to Quicksilver/Metal, quite prepared to see another 5 hr. Woohoo!! That one's a tough bugger!

I'll need Silver and Platinum eggs for display... checked the Sandbox and it's almost 50/50 when breeding them together. Not bad once you get one of each! Wish I could get an Oly Gold egg so easily... I'm with you, @glory, so over that one, at least for a now. :D

Ok sorry for spammin, I'll be quiet now.

10. glory87

glory87 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Ugh, I have all my limiteds so I want it to be over! Just got a solar eclipse fail trying for garnet.

11. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Garnet could be a pain. Not Crystal fail type pain but a pain none the less. Compared to the last few Gemstones the fails are long, all 8 hr plus. Especially bad with Solar thrown in the mix.

12. girlpower

girlpower Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #7632 girlpower, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    GRR!!!
    Tried quicksilver/ghost = 18 hr scoria
    Also firefly/snow = 8 hr, then 39 hr fail :(
    Read lichen/copper netted 2 for someone on wiki, so just bred that and guess what?? No, not a LY but ANOTHER darn rainbow, so nice have both caves tied up with Rainbow fails...I'm popping these out like there's no tomorrow...LOL, was a different story when I actually needed rainbows
    Edit update...they were both moons not rainbows

@Foxy, yeah, I did also try LY/Rainbow, got rainbow there too, thrn read the odds were very low with this combo so changed tactic.
    Big congrats on your Garnet, yay! :)
    Also thanks for your gift combo (gift/reindeer has just netted my second gift cooking)

Once LY is removed, I thought I wouldn't be able to successfully breed a second LY (trying with my current LY/Rainbow)??? I did try these two many times after the first LY finished and always got rainbows only?
    Thought it only worked if the egg was still in the market OR you already had two of the same dragon, can anyone confirm this pls :confused:

Thanks for letting me know that LY/Rainbow can actually still work to net me a second LY once LY has ended, well I for one am pleased the limiteds have been extended, there are still posters on wiki still trying to get a LY also.

13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Well it's kind of nice to get 2 Fireworks dragons I didn't have but honestly I'd rather not have a 48 hr failure in the mix.

14. TexasTed

TexasTed Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Happy 2013 everyone

Congrats Foxy on the Platinum, and everyone else still trying for the limiteds. C'mon good luck for GP!!! Show us the Leap Year. I was alternating trying Firefly/Seaweed for Leap Year and got one with this combo and another with Crystal and Lichen as an Emerald egg fail. Good luck, I only bred one when it was first avail so made my Leap Year Island to celebrate having only one last Feb.

I am not on Facebook but read somewhere the Bring Em Back limiteds may be extended a few more days into 2013 as thanks for a good 2012. It has brought Dragonvale back up in the top Grossing apps from mid 20's to top 3 over the holidays. Can anyone confirm the Facebook extension news? They were supposed to go away on Jan 2nd but they are still avail - great for those still trying. Not so much for others trying for Apocalypse and still getting long fails.

15. Jazbodooley

Jazbodooley Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Devon
    Hi Texas Ted and a very happy new year to you to!!

I've just had a quick look at DV Facebook page and it still says that they MIGHT extend the date for a few more days. They are after as many 'likes' as possible first!

16. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    They do have that posted for you to share and I guess if they get enough they will extend. I thought it was though the 9th anyway. Happy New Year everyone.

17. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    I got my second LY, same as @TTed, as an Emerald fail (Crystal/Lichen) - but I wouldn't recommend playing with Crystals unless you need an Emerald too. You know how that goes.

Ok I just ran it (LY/Rainbow) thru the Sandbox simulator and it came up with one or two LY almost every time. And 3 once. I know it's possible after it goes away too, because my daughter bred several to expand her $$ herd - (I was sooo jealous, cuz I had none). However, as we all know, the fails are brutal if you don't want Rainbows.

18. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    As long as continues to bring them in big bucks I would guess they would extend it. I don't blame them, I would do the same thing. The annoying thing is that they will claim it is some sort of "Thank You" or favor to us when in reality it is just BFS realizing that when the limiteds go away revenue will drop back down as well. They are all the way back to #3 in Top Grossing. They're not going to just pull the plug on that.

19. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I agree but I only need the new gem dragon. I give them money every time we get a new dragon I do not have. I need another island I would pay for that. I think we all need another island. I play hay day there is always something to do there. I wish DV would give us more not interested in the gold shrines there nasty looking. Good luck everyone on getting all the dragons.

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    And there it is. Solar Eclipse fail. Please make the limited extension optional.