The Quest for a Free RPG - The Broke Man's Plight

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by speetz, Feb 2, 2015.

1. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #1 speetz, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Ok so I have paid for games and DLed free games that I have put money into, but lately I have come into a financial situation that doesn't allow me to pay for anything game oriented. So I am on a search to scratch an itch, one I think is safe to say many more of you probably have yourselves.

I want a free, classic RPG.

No gimmicks, nothing. The closest I find always is missing something; CQ2 being a rogue like, Dungeon Quest having ONLY dungeon crawling. Matter of fact, MMOs are the closest thing to what my palette desires.

So I ask you TA community; what are some of your favorite free RPGs? I want something basically as close to the Spiderwebs Software game as I can get (Avernum, Avadon, etc)

Can anyone help me? I have searched high and low. I'm just so broke yet after job searching I need something to do and MMOs like Arcane Legends, while great are feeling like a grind fest. Darkness Revorn is great for an action RPG MMO but there is one town and no trading. And those are just the MMOs; I want that decent single player experience.

Help me, o' great TA brethren?

(Obviously I don't talk like this, just trying to be charmingly cute/funny to hopefully get a response... :)

PS I don't care how old or new it is. Maybe this could be a nice sticky or something if it gets some actual response. Also freemium is ok as I have a knack for playing freemium to by benefit.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    All my favorite RPGs are premium priced. :)

Check out RPG Band of Monsters though. It's free, and strongly think it's playable without spending anything.

Also look for RPG Machine Knight. Should be playable without IAPs i think.

Adventure to Fate Battle Arena is a fantastic Battle Arena JRPG where there is no exploration or story. It's just all battles, but the character progression is pretty solid. It's previous title Adventure to Fate: A Quest to the Core is probably something more in line with what you are looking for but is at a premium price.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Spacetime Games (the developers of Arcane Legends) also have 3 other MMORPGs on the Appstore; Pocket Legends, Star Legends and Dark Legends. They do not feature such appalling IAP systems as Arcane Legemds. They are, however, really old games and the developers will not update or support those older games anymore.

There are also some other MMORPGs you should try, like Order and Chaos, Avabel online or Midgard Rising.

I do not know of any good free singleplayer RPGs though, sorry.

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Almost all the Korean RPGs like zenonia. Aren't those Pokemon clones free sometimes too? Monster island or dragon island blue or something like that.

5. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    No to Pokemon clones. And really? You think ARcane Legends IAP system is appalling? Aside from while your leveling i forget it's their, let alone how it's different from STSs other games ( I started on PL back in 2009/2010 an played the all)

Thanks for all the ideas guys! But new question. I have ten bucks on my Apple ID someone gave me (well I had fifteen but instead of getting monster hunter I wanted more than one game and started with battle heart legacy, which is amazing)

Now what? Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, or Sw:kotor? I have never finished any of them and only played BG2 extensively which I assume the iOS games aforementioned are just the first games and their expansions. What should I buy and be able to get the most time out of?

6. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    The Quest for a Free RPG - The Broke Man's Plight

By the way in the OP it was supposed to e spelled Darkness Reborn. If any of you are fans of MMO action RPGs check it out, it's freemium but the prem currency is easy to get, I've amassed over 20$ worth after using about 10$ worth, 3$ of which I did pay for but nothing else, I spent that right when I got it. And the timer esque system is basically pointless , especially since you can go over the 25 it gives you automatically over time; I have like 160/25 right now. Hell, i am going to make a post for it if there isn't one,.

My point is check it out and which 10$ RPG should I buy, mostly between IWD:EE BG:EE, and SW:KOTOR??? I'm leaning kotor but which can I get the most hours out of one character with? And suggestions besides these 3 are welcome.

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes, really. It is very, very different and much more platinum (premium currency) based. PL, back when it was released (2010) was not a F2P game, you had to unlock maps with platinum and you could only level to 13 without doing so. Later they made it F2P, but the system is pretty fair. All you can buy with platinum are vanities or elixirs and some other things, but nothing that would make you superior to others in PVP. The best gear can only be obtained with gold.

STS spent a lot of time polishing and experimenting with different payment systems and they perfected it with AL (in their favor of course, not the player's). All best gear is obtained from chests, which you buy with platinum and pets cost a lot of platinum as well. In order to be compatitve in PVP you are forced to drop a lot of dough into that game. If you are a casual player, I guess you don't play PVP much, and you can pretty much just tag along in PVE.

Either way, you steered this thread completely off-topic. Make a new thread, since you are not looking for free RPGs anymore.

8. bigE1669

bigE1669 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IT
    Ill
    #8 bigE1669, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    I think Undercroft is what you may be looking for. Also Sage Fusion is free right now. Normally I thinks it's $2.99

9. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Undercroft is one of my all time fav games on iOS. That game and this site is what pushed me to become a developer!

@Exact-Psience thanks for the Adventure to Fate shout out! =)

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #10 Vovin, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Undercroft would also be my first suggestion. Classical, free role-playing. :)

I remember I made a list of free games here, 2-3 years ago, and it held quite some RPGs for free. Now I just need to find that thread.

edit: lool, oops, that was 2009. :D

11. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Hey thanks you guys; I ended up RIGHT after this coming into a little cash and forgot about this thread but Tapatalk reminded me lol. Thank you SO much for all the suggestions, it's (now) greatly appreciated :)

12. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Solomon's Keep and Solomon's Boneyard are some of the only Premium games to go permanently free without affixing a +mium at the end of free. Can't remember the reason for their going free, but I think it may be the dev felt he'd just keep them in the public domain rather than pay the cost of updating them.