Make a simple website

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ktfright, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I don't like using my wordpress blog with templates any more, now i want something simple. how or who can i go to to make a simple website like lima sky's?

2. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    found something called wix.com that does flash sites.

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Don't bother with Flash.

First of all, iPhone doesn't even support Flash. If you want to piss off your customers, use a system like Flash that won't work on their devices.

Websites for iPhone games tend to get ignored by the masses. The only thing a website will do is provide reviewers with extra information (graphics, screenshots, press release, video). Don't expect that the effort that you put into the site will drive any kind of sales nor traffic.

I can't think of a single iPhone developer website that I have visited. Maybe I am in the minority?

4. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    i just want a site that shows all my games, not just for one app.

5. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, we haven't done anything to drive customers to our website, but we still manage to get 4,000+ visits per month (that's just the homepage... doesn't include the blog or product pages). On our website, we've focused on providing product information, company information, news, and opportunities to connect (e.g. Facebook, Twitter).

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I'm not telling you not to create nor maintain a site. I'm suggesting that you shouldn't put too much effort into it. It isn't going to drive sales. In order to do that, you would need to be heavily branded... and I mean HEAVILY.

These are current January 2010 stats for the Flickitty site (this month isn't even over yet)

9,896 unique visitors
    13,403 visits
    32,821 hits

These numbers are actually down from the previous 2 months. This also doesn't account for the number of bots.

Some people would love to have these stats. Others may think they are pathetic. I personally don't put much stock into them, because I know they are aren't generating sales nor downloads.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Obviously you have a Mac at your disposal if you are developing for the iDevices. You should look into RapidWeaver for simple website creation. It is a fantastic resource for developing "I don't really care about traffic but it helps flesh out my brand" web content. You can whip up some pretty professional looking sites with the stock templates and you can always purchase a plugin if you need a little something more.

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Our numbers are pretty high too but they really amount to jack nothing, I guess bored people just like to look at websites

9. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
  10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but then again you could argue that a good website is a requisite for building a brand in the first place... ;)

11. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Are you willing to pay? If so you can try sites like getafreelancer.com. If not, start reading up on w3schools website and learn to code up a quick site. If you're smart, you'll get a solution that has some type of backend able of easily adding content/products/ect.

12. iWeb has nothing to do with mobileme. You can upload the pages to any web site just like the two links I posted.

13. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Wow you made those in just iWeb? I'm impressedÂ… it's got more flexibility than I thought.

And ktfright, he's correct, you don't need mobileme to use iWeb. Think of iWeb as Microsoft Word but for making websites. Then you can export your finished website and upload it onto the internet for everyone to see.

You could also try using something like https://www.blogger.com

14. tylertv

tylertv Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    #15 tylertv, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    My website (except for the blog, that's wordpress) tylertv.net is just a bunch of photoshop images exported as a JPG and dropped onto an HTML file in dreamweaver. I hotspotted the links and boom, I have a site that works on almost everything.

One con: Google doesn't pick up any words on my site since a page is just one big image.

15. In addition to exporting to local filesystem and then uploading manually, the latest version of iWeb allows you to upload directly to through your FTP account.

16. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    cool, i will try that. thanks!