Dragonvale: Strategies/Tips (NOT an add me thread)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by darren12, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Lao-shu

Lao-shu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Not sure how helpful this knowledge will be, but I tried a LOT of pairs, in my quest for a rainbow dragon. I started with about 30 firefly and swamp crosses, as that had worked for somebody else. But it had occurred to me that the pair(s) that can work may be different in every game, so I threw in a lot of other combinations, as well. Eventually, I settled on firefly x seaweed for a while, and that was the one that ended up working for me. But I think anyone who wants a rainbow dragon will have to resign themselves to the probability of a LOT of failed attempts. It looks like the odds are pretty low, even when you do have a parentage that can work.

2. alteredfrog

alteredfrog Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Exactly, if you treat each need breeding attempt like buying ticket in the lottery, using the same pair is like playing the same numbers in the lottery every week, eventually you might win and you might not.

3. StrykerB77W

StrykerB77W Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Good stuff, thanks folks! All I'm looking for is an idea of an approach because when it comes down to it we are all just acting on assumptions at this point. Interesting info though. Thanks again! I'll keep on truckin' :)

4. alteredfrog

alteredfrog Member

Sep 14, 2011
    #44 alteredfrog, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    For those interested there was a new report of having bred a Rainbow dragon. Apparently a Flower level 4 and Quake level 6 and was only the 20th attempt at breeding for this player, they are only level 12. So it appears that Rainbow dragon breeding is most affected by randomness even if other factors may or may not increase the odds, there is always a chance you'll get a Rainbow dragon when breeding.

5. Lao-shu

Oct 27, 2010
    Has anyone got a rainbow dragon by breeding anything that wasn't a hybrid x hybrid pair, yet? Is it possible to get one when breeding two single-element dragons, or a single-element dragon with a hybrid? So far, I haven't seen any reports of rainbow dragons coming from anything but hybrid x hybrid crosses, but I could have missed one!

6. alteredfrog

alteredfrog Member

Sep 14, 2011
    There have been a few reports with single element dragons on my worksheet

7. Lao-shu

Oct 27, 2010
    #47 Lao-shu, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    Ah, sorry! The worksheet wouldn't load for me, earlier, for some reason. I'll try to look at it again.

Edited to add: I got it to load for me, and I noticed that one person claims they got a rainbow dragon by breeding level 1 plant & earth dragons together. This can't be right: it's not possible to breed level 1 dragons.

8. alteredfrog

alteredfrog Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Yes I've deleted a few obviously bad reports, when that one was submitted the default level was 1 so they may not have bothered to change it to the correct level, now the default is ---- instead so we can tell between lazy reports and bad reports

9. Verifed

Verifed Member

Sep 8, 2011
    just figured out something with breeding hybrids.lets say you have a quake dragon and wanted a crystal but couldnt seem to get it, what you do is look at the first element on the dragon you have to many of. ex quake has earth. so in the breeding cave you put earth first then quake. ive tested multiple times and it works

10. AyD3nRN

AyD3nRN New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Does getting a rainbow habitat first, increase the chance of getting the rainbow dragon? it was not mentioned in the spreadsheet. maybe it's important to have the habitat first?

11. FingersD

FingersD Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Made no diff to me, no rainbow when I had the habitat, sold it for XP and replacement by something productive.

F.

12. StrykerB77W

StrykerB77W Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I can't say yes or no for sure, but I can say that I've had a rainbow habitat for a long time (got it as soon as it became available and I'm now half way through level 17) and I've tried dozens of breeding combos since, but still no rainbow.

13. Jargox

Jargox New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Add me Jargox

14. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Pretty sure the habitat has no impact on chance and if it did it's minimal. I actually sold my rainbow habitat for now to farm raise air habitats to hit level 20. Wee!

15. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I am just going to start trying the cheap and quick breeding combos for a bit. I burnt some cash trying for the rainbow using hybrids and those crystal dragons are 24hr timers and only sell for 100k...

16. Gdtn

Gdtn Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Please keep the add me posts on the other forum, this is the reason why Darren made this new one. Thanks.

17. NZCanuck2011

NZCanuck2011 Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Boost buildings

Just wondered if there was a specific way to place these so no dragon had plus and minus? Don't have 3rd island yet but does that matter?

18. FingersD

FingersD Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    You're thinking of the ones on money ? You want those pluses ;). That's what the boosts do, so you put boosts and habitats in a pattern where they don't interfere(much) across your islands.(you might still end up with an hybrid keeping a minus)
    I have all the boosts, spread on 3 islands and at last count 1 dragon with a minus.

F.
    P.s. Still not too proud to return gems in the order received ;). (Fingers D)

19. Verifed

Verifed Member

Sep 8, 2011
    this is not the thread for asking people to add you. please go to darren12s other thread

20. aejohns84

aejohns84 New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    #60 aejohns84, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    I wish I had two breeding habs! Maybe on the next update? Or if you could pay to stop a breeding.