Universal SXPD (by Little Chicken Game Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 18, 2014.

1. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I am buying this.

The price is ridiculous. You pay more for comics.

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Could have done much better but since it was my first Run I am kinda suprised I have even made it through the first Episode in one Run :D

I would like to hear from the Developer a bit more about how many Episodes are currently planned and if the other Episodes will get released as seperate Appz or if we will have the Option to buy a Session Pass within the first App and then just download the other Episodes through it.

The current first Episode is really solid and I really like what I have seen/played so far but I`m unsure about the future of the App overall since I sadly don`t know anything about the Comic that it`s based on and therefor I would like to hear a bit more about the Background and the future Plans.

3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just out of curiosity (and for any preview I might write :) ), what modes are planned for the final release?

I really think a challenge or arcade mode would be awesome in this game, and some kind of FFA mode would be cool as well.

There should also be some kind of mode to read the comic without having to play the battles, as awesome as they are. Maybe unlocked for each chapter after beating it?

Edit: One more idea. Since the gameplay is inspired by an 8-bit game, maybe an 8-bit mode? :D

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I really love where the game is going. I like the back story you put in place. 'seraphum?'
    I wasnt lucky to get a code so my impressions are from the latest video you posted.

The graphic look is different. The cartoon aspects seem to fit perfectly even though they look like they wouldn't normally belong.

so far, my interest is here.I look forward to this one. I'm definately going to keep my eyes open for the next codes you give out b/c im in the US but have the CA and NZ accounts.

good luck yo you!

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Four more weeks until the worldwide release? Geez Louise. Anyway, looking forward to its launch.

6. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Codes will be gone unnoticeable when they were put in a thread directly

7. ArcadeTouch

ArcadeTouch Active Member

Nov 25, 2013
    So is this version of SXPD only compatible with the iPad?
    In one of the previous posts it is mentioned that iPhone versions are being made, so does that mean there'll be two versions of the same app (for the two devices) or will the original app become universal?

8. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I bought the game, so here is my imps.

The art is amazing. I am not gonna extend on the story itself, because it is like a comics. If you love comics, you will love it.

Now, the game phases... If you don't like steer/tilt controls... Forget this app. During these phases, you have to control a bike where you have to shoot at people while you avoid the obstacles. Or you only have to avoid obstacles. If you hit too many obstacles, you will lose your health. If you achieve 0%, you have to restart the phase all over again.
    Frankly, the controls are hard and I hate them. You don't control the speed, so when you go into a wall and you spawn at the same place to go into the wall again... I lost a phase just because I couldn't get away. Also, how many times I got into obstacles because the speed is just the same, you don't go slowly after a respawn... I didn't finish the story because of the controls. These phases are simply frustrating. This has to be improved. I think there are too sensitive and the speed should be slower after a respawn. And the respawn point should be at a place with no obstacles, not at the same place you died. I am ok with difficulty, but it has to make sense.

Other than that, the story is well done, the art is just wow. But, the game phases are what put the game down and that's sad.

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    They do spawn you a bit behind of where you crashed. But I agree, maybe there should be set spawn points around the level and you spawn at the closest one to where you crashed.

But I totally disagree that it makes the game too hard. And it's not like they limit the number of times you can try a level, so eventually you get better and know where to not crash.

10. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    People that are not good at using this kind of controls will be driven away. Not everyone has patience to try again and again, especially when you are close to win and you discover that you have to redo the whole phase. Struggling because I don't have the skills, I am ok. But struggling because of the controls, not for me. In addition, the spawn points make it more frustrating. That's a whole.

That's all I have to say. I don't say this game is bad, but there are things to improve to make it better.

11. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Miroa Thanks for the feedback, this will definitely make it back to the devs working on the update.. so its appreciated.. the game itself is a homage to the zx spectrum game 3Ddeathchase which was hard as nails.

12. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    To answer some of the questions:

Universal vs seperate apps: We are still deciding on this, we're trying to optimize for iphone 4 as well, but as many might know, this is no mean feat. If we are successful we hope to make it universal. If not we will make seperate apps for iphone and Ipad, as we don't want to deliver an experience that is sub-par.

New features: I'd love to keep some things a suprise, but I'd say you where spot-on with the direction we're taking. So some form of arcade mode and hiscores will make it to a future update. The comicbook version without the game is an idea I will also pass on to the team.

Future Chapters: We sincerely hope so , Duke Mighten the artist and creative mind behind the story and comic, really wants to continue telling the story. So hell yeah we would love to keep adding chapters. But realise drawing a comicbook can take a long time, easily 6 months to a year. If the app is a succes, things might go a lot quicker.
    So the plans are there, and everybody involved is eager to continue, but its also in the hands of the fans and the succes of the app, on when and how many additional chapters will make it onto your ipad.

If there's enough demand, I could ask Duke Mighten to do a sort of AMA on his thoughts on the story and where he wants to take it, would you guys be into this?

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So far I am having a blast playing this. I am making noting any type of flaw I can find so my review might seem negitive but it just looks that way because I will nit pick things to death. I am still playing the game and I will right my review later. So far it looks like a must buy!

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I was already stupidly excited for this from those incredible screenshots but knowing its influenced by such an fantastic throwback to my childhood is too much! Looking forward to the UK release!

15. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Dang, this game can be brutal. I have been stuck on a part for awhile and I don't think there is any health. I don't think I will be able to beat it with out finding extra health. Here are some more impressions, the graphics are amazing and so are the comic book illustrations. I especially like what happens when you are low on health. This game is very intense and reminds me a lot like twisted metal but on nitro. You are always accelerating which can be an issue. I wish there was a way to temporarily slow down a bit because I tend to crash into things sometimes and when I respawn I crash again. Maybe have it so after you crash you will slowly gain more speed?

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I beat that level and it was some of the must fun I ever had on my ipad. This game is a complete absolute instamustbuy! If they add online multiplayer I believe this game will top the charts. I do have some complaints but that should not dissuade anyone from picking this game up ASAP.

17. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    This is gona be a blast :D another great game, original with great concept and idea and instant buy :) just one question, will it be iPad only or universal, and will it be premium app?

18. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Some of the press is finally finding the game, offcourse Pocket-tactics has their own humorous take on it: http://www.pockettactics.com/news/io...pd-coming-ipad

regarding your question about universal and premium
    Our intention is to upgrade to a universal app. but there are some technical limitations, especially for Iphone 4, which we cannot exclude from a universal app.

So it might mean we'll have to seperate Iphone and Ipad, but this is the last thing we want.. We do want you to only have to purchase it once. So we're working hard on getting that to happen before May..

19. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Great reply :) i personaly dont mind if it will be seperate version, as long i can play it on my 4s :)

20. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    4s is no problem, and to be honest on that small retina device it looks amazing.. it looks like print..(the guys at the office are all running around showing the latest build on their phones, its something completely different on iphone).. But its very small, you need good eyes readability wise.. So there's lots to do before the iphone is released..