iPhone Settlers of Catan HD by USM (v3.0 Cities & Knights)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Right. My bad above ... I've been playing a lot of boardgames lately, and I think I was remembering the "tied score" rule from another game.

The other thing to remember for Catan newcomers is that both the bonuses in the base game have minimum requirements. For Largest Army, it's three knights; for Longest Road, it's five roads/ships.

2. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    OMG OMG OMG.. I did it. after 60+ times I finished the 1st map.
    Guess now I know why it said "scenario1" the whole time.. The progress button..

Finally I can start with map 2, and hopefully less then 60+ times this time.

3. TheDukester

Sweet! Congratulations.

I think you'll find Catan rewarding if you stick with it.

One thing to look forward to: playing the Seafarers scenarios. I've found that they can often be easier for newer players to win (even though they are more "advanced," in theory).

I'm convinced that it has to do with the map: in basic Catan, it's easy to run out of room, be unable to expand, and eventually be beaten down by simply not getting enough resources per turn. But with the islands maps in Seafarers, there's many more options. It's almost impossible to become boxed-in on most of those maps.

So if Plan A fails, there's usually enough time to implement Plan B and still have a fighting chance to win. That's not the case with just the basic Catan map — if you fall too far behind in basic Catan, that usually means you're going to lose.

4. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    yep.

All I did was this time, only bought cards and 3 houses.. that's all I had.
    doing the road ain't working, cause you can only have 15 roads
    so if you make a side turn somewhere, and go back with your main road, you never get to 15.. (which Sean always had)

5. Earthdweller

Earthdweller Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UK
    CONGRATULATIONS!! pka

Your perseverance paid off well done!

I think I'm going to have to shell out for the iphone version but another2.99 plus the 2.39 GBP for seafarers is making me hesitate. I wish this was universal.

6. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin

And OMG again... Beat the 2nd map in 1 time.. It's a LOT easier then the 1st map.

7. TheDukester

You know what's weird? I think the campaign has gotten harder.

I've played every version of Catan known to mankind ... hell, I used to stalk the German eBay site to look for obscure Catan items. And this campaign, which is essentially the same as the PC/Mac version, just seems more difficult.

I can't quite put my finger on the reasons why. Or if it's even true. Maybe I've just gotten worse as a player somehow.

8. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Can I just say, that the 1st map is Hard :D
    Anyways.. Looking forward to the Seafare campain.
    How many basic maps are there before you go into the Seafare maps?

Also, it would be great to have an option in the game, where you can save, and fall back on, if you want to do something different instead of starting all over. Now the Temp Save is gone after you failed. But that's just a thought.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Dropped to $2.99 to celebrate Euro release of iPad 2. I just bought it. Won't get to play it until my US iPad 2 arrives somewhere around the 14th. :(

10. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Major new update with new graphics and such. I might pick it up now.

11. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I AM REALLY PISSED!!!!!!!!

I updated to the new version...
    first of all... the mainscreen is uber ugly...

2nd. I lost all my progress..... I have to start from scratch...
    Do you know how long it took me to play where I am now ??
    Spent over months playing this... and all gone in 5 seconds...

12. cherdman

Sep 11, 2010
    Crud. I hope that wasn't because of my thread bump...

13. Graphics are great now FINALLY .....this game is NOW playable. Thought they'd never get a clue but they actually listened to the complaints.

I don't remember going to far...I only revisited when I purchased the Seafarer's expansion but didn't spend too long on it but now I will. That sucks if your progress got blown though.

14. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Yeah.. Hopefully a developer is watching here... also contacted them through Itunes.

I remember that 1 mission took me weeks to complete.. kept loosing.
    Would have been nice to mention it.. unless it's a bug, since they changed
    the screens...

15. TheDukester

Wow, this is a pleasant surprise. The game looks much better — Catan for the iOS always looked like a cheap GameBoy port. I'm also pleased with the GameCenter integration.

Next up: Cities & Knights ... the ultimate way to play Catan.

16. TheDukester

Ugh. Achievements are totally broken.

I just "earned" three of them ... and didn't really earn them at all.

My favorite is the "Roadwork Expert" one for building a 15-length road. I earned it for putting down the two free roads you begin the game with.

Once again, it's apparent these developers are pretty helpless in the iOS space. Catan deserves better than this.

17. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Wasn't there a campaign mode before even if you didn't buy "Seafarers"?

WTF dude?

18. CTD

CTD Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Yep, it zapped all my campaign progress as well. Granted it looks better and the UI is tighter but deleting campaign is crap. It is bad enough that you buy Seafarers expansion and most of the content is locked. I think that is poor design. I have the board game, and the OS/X version (with Cities & Knights) and don't want to work though the campaign just to play a favourite map. But I did, and am now rather annoyed to be back at square one.

19. cherdman

Sep 11, 2010
    I just bought the game, but is this true?

20. Terpentine Cat

Terpentine Cat Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Salzburg, Austria
    No, on the contrary, he is absolutely right! This is just a display of poor manners and no courtesy/respect for your fan base.