Quick Question........

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cubytes, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Is there an API that gives developers direct access to the iphone/itouch headphone controls? and if so do you think that leveraging the up/down and middle clicks could facilitate a compelling control interface to offer users with an alternative to on screen controls for games or would it be completely pointless?

your thoughts?

2. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It's funny you say that, I had that idea last night.

I ended up coming to the conclusion that I think people still want to control the volume easily from within their apps, and wouldn't want those buttons being hijacked.

3. I'm guessing Apple would not be happy with an app doing this either...

4. One of the camera apps, Camera Zoom 2, provides the ability to use the volume button as a shutter button, so it seems that Apple has allowed it before.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311657409&mt=8

Having said that, I personally wouldn't want any game to use those buttons since I still want to control the sound effects and music volume with them.

In a camera app it seems more acceptable and even helpful.

5. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    hmmmm yea i agree with you guys 100% about the volume stuff i tried some tests and to be honest its seriously awkward to hold the phone in one hand and use the controller with the other or you would have to lay the phone on a table and hold the little controller in both of your thumbs and that is also awkward so scratch that idea for sure