Open Design: Flickitty Hats

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Flickitty, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    This has been an idea that has been rolling around in my noggin since I first came up with the idea for Flickitty. I'd really like to implement User Submitted Hats.

I am in the process of adding descriptions to hats, which would give credit to the designer and a short description of what the hat is or where it is from. I'd like to see submissions from developers and game players.

Is there any interest in this kind of thing? You don't have to be an artist and the graphical style doesn't need to match Flickitty. In fact, I'd like to see a wide variety. Well, whatever variety can fit into a 64x64 sprite.

For small indie developers and game players there wouldn't be a charge. If a large publisher (EA, Chillingo) approached me, I would either decline or charge them an advertising fee. I want to keep this small- not promote the same shit we see on every other website.

For the sake of argument, I consider a 'small indie developer' to be those who do their own promotion and aren't backed by a publisher. Your sales numbers aren't a factor.

2. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    #2 DGH94, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    So what you're saying is that we can submit hats that resemble our games? Or just hats in general? I'd love to make a hat!

3. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Yes, I'd really like to see hats from other games. Even if those games don't have hats- maybe a mask that resembles the main character?

My only request is that you actually own the rights to the character- I don't want to see Poke'mon, Link, Mario or Rikku... okay well maybe I DO want to see Rikku, but that's beside the point.

The short description would be just a few words, maybe just the character/game name, developer and artist for the hat.

4. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Cool! I'd definitely do this! Flickitty, you're awesome! You're doing like a thousand mini cross overs through hats, awesome idea!

5. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Okay, well if we can get enough support, I'll provide a sample hat image as well as a 'doll' so you can see what the hat will look like on Flick. That way, the positioning and scale can be figured out.

I'm working on the 1.05 update right now, so I won't have time to do this until next week.

6. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Fine with me. :)
    I think a lot of devs and artists can learn from you, including me. ;) :p

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    vector or pixel?

8. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Pixel would be preferred, that way the artist can actually see what the hat looks like at a small resolution (64x64).

However, the image can be created in vector and exported to raster (bitmap). In fact, all the graphics for Flickitty were created in vector then exported to TGA for use in the game engine.

9. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    This is a very interesting ideas ;)

This could be fun for people to get involved with your games and for other smaller indie made some cameo appearance which can be fun and do a little bit cross-promotion.

Ill keep a note about this, is there any particular deadline for this?

10. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    No deadline. I'll add a hat or two with every update.

11. walkingconcepts

Oct 18, 2009
    I am in

Too! Nice Idea!

12. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    For the sake of sanity, DO NOT submit an AG-style hat -_-

13. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Cool Idea I'm totally in for a Hat! Is this a for sure thing yet? Should I send you one as soon as it's done?

14. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Pixels are all I specialized in for about 8 years, maybe I'll brush off the old pencil and come up with something, but I'm really busy these days with various projects.

15. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I'm not sure if we have enough support to make this worthwhile, unfortunately. This requires quite a bit of planning and organization, as well as getting templates and a doll ready.

16. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    yeah obviously need a hat template, if you create one, I'll prob make one.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Lumpy might be willing to loan you a hat or two... ;)

[​IMG]

(Sorry, just another excuse to post that image. I just can't QuitIt!)