Universal Hoplite (by Douglas Cowley)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    #121 curi, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Forget 443 points. Having mana instead of bash range is a HUGE help, I used 3 jumps on a lot of levels. 1542 turns played. took 4.5 hours

[​IMG]

2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Obviously that's a horrible exploit, defying what the game is all about. Should be fixed!

3. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    What is a horrible exploit? And why are you being mean and trying to tear down my accomplishment? I did not use any bug in the game, which is the normal standard for an obvious or horrible exploit. I did not cheat, I played by the rules. And if there was an obvious problem, the game creator would have adjusted things in the latest patch, it's not like this game or some strategy is newly available. Also if the game was so easy or broken or something, where are the other people with very high scores or optimized talent builds?

4. CaseyRobinson

CaseyRobinson Active Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Developer
    That image isn't showing up for me, what level did you end on? And was it an escape or a defeat?

The build I've been using for my deep runs is:
    Slashing Lunge
    Surge
    Wizard Beam + 2 range upgrades
    Swift Leap
    Shielding Bash
    Mighty Bash

The key with this build is to keep triggering the surge to regain energy and reset the bash. My current and best run with this build is on floor 86, someone on the Magma Fortress G+ group hit 301 with a similar build.

It looks like your build is much easier on the levels where it's easy, but sounds like it might be annoying to recover from mistakes. Being able to fly into the exit from crazy range probably mitigates a ton of annoyance though. Probably the more annoying thing about it is all the times you don't get offered protection when you're setting it up.

5. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    level 307, 1503x1.25 = 1886 points. escaped.

i'm surprised someone got to around level 300 without protection, that must have taken a lot of effort since he can barely ever get hit and has to clear a lot of enemies to get to the exit. once you're facing 40-50 enemies on each level you can get really bad opening situations with lots of ranged guys pointing at all the squares.

for my build, the thing that makes levels hard is people blocking your first jump. if you can jump straight forward 4 squares, it's easy. you wizard beam and it opens up some space near exit, even if exit gets blocked it's ok, u jump forward with slashing lunge and proc regen and probably gain a heart on the level.

if you can jump forward 3 squares or full distance but to left or right one hex, that's usually good enough for an easy win.

if lava/enemies clog everything up, you have to go off to the side or something, it's tougher. main thing you end up doing is using 3 leaps. so you have to approach enemies 3 times after the first leap to get the mana for it. to have time to do this, you need to find some amount of safety somewhere, though honestly if you have trouble doing that with the massive mobility to go anywhere, i don't know how you'd manage it with another build.

also if you get a bad level and lose a heart, b/c you have regen you can recover. and you can proc protection twice per level, you get a lot of invulnerability time, so you need way less safety (if any).

give it a try and you can probably get pretty far with less effort, though definitely some levels are tricky. on hard levels you need to sit there and think a lot before you move, treat the level like a puzzle. but overall you skip most enemies so you're putting less work into your levels this way, and it's a very strong build for any layout.

i'm glad to hear ppl getting far with other builds, that's cool. and thanks for mentioning google+, i'll go post something there!

my build:
    18 potential hearts max:
    2 slashing lunge
    2 regen
    3 winged leap
    3 shielding bash
    2 wiz beam, range
    2 protection
    1 mana
    3 hearts

6. CaseyRobinson

CaseyRobinson Active Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Developer
    Yeah, your build is much quicker per floor. I'm at 1384 turns and just started level 90. I'll give it a shot after I finish my current run.

7. EnGeneral

EnGeneral Member

Mar 24, 2013
    So I'm having some trouble with the Speed Run, Athiest, Demon Partisan and Pacifist achievements. Any help regarding tips, hints or builds? It would be appreciated.

I've tried, not compulsively, but I've tried. And I've come close with 3 of the 4 achievements, but always seem to fail. I feel like I'm missing something. Would any of the unlocks I'm yet to acquire compliment the remaining achievements? Or something along those lines.

8. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Just downloaded and played for a couple of hours. Well worth the $2. Should have got this much earlier. Have been successful getting the fleece 2 out of 5 times, now attempting to get some achievements.

9. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    #129 lookmark, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Same here. Demon Partisan is really tricky. Anyone have any tips or links to helpful strategy guides?

Also having trouble with Streaker - returned the Fleece (I thought) 3 games in a row, but didn't get the achievement. This one buggy, or did I miss something...?

Love this game.

10. ISayPorter

ISayPorter Member

Apr 10, 2012
    #130 ISayPorter, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    These were my last achievements. If they are your last four, that's pretty usual. I found Atheist to be the hardest. For all of them, I'd suggest choosing one to aim for and taking your time. Think properly, and check at least twice before moving. There's always room for a suicide move one or two levels below the fleece.
    I found these achievements took me so long largely because of my propensity not to notice archer/wizard until after the move.

For the speed run achievement, it's a great help to get the Leap upgrades. Then the last few levels are four moves per level.

11. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Update!! Game Center, rebalanced prayers and later difficulty levels, and other awesomeness. Any roguelike, puzzle, and/or strategy fan should get this great game, ASAP.

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont see Game Center...

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Oh yes, GC integration at last.

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont see it in the change log?

15. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    It's real. I don't use the US store but I saw the update on appshopper so it should be there as well.

Attached Files:

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks bro!

17. ISayPorter

ISayPorter Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Update...

... And of course the "Hoplite Master" achievement:

Take the fleece to level 27 or below before returning three times in a row without taking any prayer from Artemis, Zeus, Athena, Hermes or Hephaestus more than once across all three games.

Anyone know how to work out which temple is which before actually praying? Are they fixed i.e. Level 1 is Apollo?

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Click on the question mark on the upper right and then any element. If you tap on the shrine this way it will tell you which god it is for.

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Only recently started getting into Hoplite, and all I can say is wow. What a fantastic strategy game. So good in fact that it may have hopped it's way into my best of 2014 list (released 21st December 2013, so in my book should be eligible).

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I somehow never got this but added it to my wishlist on the appstore and just thought I'd post and say it's gone free on my UK store so downloading now. Considering a lot of people here said how good it was I thought I'd post so more people can give it a go.