What irks you about iOS development?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Chelmar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Chelmar

Chelmar Member

Apr 28, 2012
    #1 Chelmar, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    I'm curious what kind of day-to-day problems game devs encounter while working with Xcode, Unity, or any other platform.

I also have a few specific questions:

1. App store review process. What kind of responses do you usually get back from Apple? How specific/helpful are they? (I've heard this has gone up from a 7 day to about 11-12 day wait now...)
    2. Beta testing. How do you connect to testers, and what kind of testing feedback do you usually get back?
    3. Performance. What do you use to profile your app, get crash reports, etc.? What do you like and not like about your tools?

Thanks!

2. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    First off I am guessing you are thinking about or newer to developing so welcome.

Itunes is running about 11-30 plus days depending on how many other apps you have submitted. the first few apps take the longest.

As far as beta testers i have used the forums here, sought out other games that may be similar to mine and gone to their fan page to see if anyone wants to test the app and finally reached out to the review sites. You always have friends and other developer as well that are usually willing to check out an app and provide feedback.

hope that helps and good luck!

3. Chelmar

Chelmar Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Sounds like an awfully long wait. Have you ever gotten apps rejected, and for what reason?

4. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Proper taxes in different countries could be pain in the ass as well, particulary when you are earning some real money.

5. Chelmar

Chelmar Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Why do Mac App Store reviews take so much longer than for iOS?

6. Don't know for sure. More detailed review process? Fewer people to review apps?

The trend has definitely been coming down though if you look at the graph.

7. chunkyguy

chunkyguy Active Member

May 16, 2011
    India
    Theoretically, I'll let Paul Graham speak my mind, about what went wrong, and how could it be improved.

But practically, I know its a wild world out there. There are infinite possibilities, every environment has its own set of rules. It could be Xcode vs Eclipse, or C++ vs ObjC or Mac vs PC. The only key to survival is adaption.

Like, in Animal Farm after the rebellion, Old Benjamin gave 0 Fs. And when asked how he saw the change in the system, he would always say "Donkeys live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead donkey".

That's the wisdom I would like to follow.

8. Chelmar

Chelmar Member

Apr 28, 2012
    So when Apple rejects your App Store submissions, what are the usual reasons, if they give you one? Is it usually a Human Interface Guideline violation, or accidentally using an internal API, etc.? Just trying to get a feel for the waters.

9. chunkyguy

chunkyguy Active Member

May 16, 2011
    India
    I've just published only one of my own app, that went two times through the review system, and fortunately both the times it went down smoothly. I took around 12 days both the time.

For my client projects, I've seen some weird rejections. Like, an app update getting rejected for some rule that was broken all the time, just that they pointed it out now and I never knew about it. But, their emails were good enough to get the hint to what to change. The tough part is explaining the client.

Most of the rejections are due to some change in policy, or it seems to me. So far I've never seen any Human Interface guideline or internal API violation, because I try to be as safe as possible by reading the Apple docs as much as possible.