Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gryphon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Who else is hyped for this? it looks to be one of the best platformers ever!

2. This game looks amazing.
    Glad to c they don't try to change the graphics or steer away from what we like about it.
    This new addition looks so fun

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
  4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #5 7lilwhitewolf7, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Spactacular 7 fun review yo! "They change things up constantly and never let you get bored." ThnX a vermillion Gryphon

5. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    just picked this up tonight. haven't played it yet but I'll get around to it. looks like fun tho

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Obviously. Donkey Kong is among my favorite game characters (next to Lightning from the Final Fantasy XIII series and Amaterasu from Okami), Donkey Kong Country is up there with my favorite series ever, and ...yeah.

I love Donkey Kong. :)

So of course I was hyped for this game. I was devastated when it was delayed so I knew it wouldn't be waiting for me under the Christmas tree :( But now it's out, I've begun playing it, and wow! It's amazing <3

It feels like they put much more passion into this game than Returns. Returns was amazing, but this game... seems much better. The music is one thing that immediately struck me as insanely brilliant. The music, the level design, the graphics, the controls... everything is so tight and top-notch.

I will say I wish they got rid of the bonus rooms from Returns, but there is a tad more variety here so I guess it's not terrible. But I much prefer finding puzzle pieces in the actual level rather than having to beat the bonus rooms. It's all right though.

So far I'm loving the game so so much. I've only just gotten to the third world, but the K levels so far are just as great as Returns, the extra levels are super super great... I'm glad you open secret levels via secret exits now, rather than buying a key from the shop. Much more satisfying and fun now, and it seems like the bonus levels are much more interesting this time around :D

Honestly I don't have much to complain about. After the first boss, I would have said I don't like the boss fights, just like I disliked them in Returns... but then the second world boss came about and I was like, "Whoa... this is awesome!"

That music... wow <3

OH! I did remember one thing I don't exactly love: the air meter when underwater. There has never been an air meter for a Donkey Kong game, as far as I know, so it's a really strange addition with this game. I do understand that it adds a little more challenge and tension when underwater so it can be more satisfying, but I am still not completely okay with it. So far it hasn't been an issue because air bubbles are frequent, but I worry about the late-game. Since Returns became so difficult later on, I worry this one will get similarly difficult but now with the added challenge of perhaps running out of air D:

But yes. It's amazing. I finally have a new Wii U game to be obsessed with after putting at least 60 hours into Super Mario 3D World (and counting... I love that game so much). It's amazing :)